wrenches

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I am taking a trip to HF this evening, I'll check out their hand tools.

I think I'm going to pick up one of their tool cabinets.
I've read good reviews on their tool box's.

I have a few HF boxes and they have been great!

Steve NW WI

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Non aluminum nor stainless smart mouth! Very good question I'll have to ponder and get back to you you own any Armstrong retaining pliers? The ones you screw the nut off and swap for internal / external they look like Matco
Cast, forged, stamped, machined? Plain ole cold or hot rolled or some version of high strength steel? One of the many grades of tool steels?

I work in metal fab. There's a huge difference in "regular" metals.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
jakethesnake
I lied...I do have a pair of Armstrong snap ring pliers, but theyre just external with replaceable tips, and small like 5-6" or something like that...
I also found a pair of 8" (arm)pittsburg reversible 90 deg. snap ring pliers...don't know where they came from, I don't remember ever using em?

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also have a set of craftsman and gearwrench ratcheting wrenches in SAE and Metric.

SANY2165.JPG SANY2166.JPG

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a fair size set of gear wrench 6 point wrenches good to hear positive remarks I haven't recieved mine yet

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I am taking a trip to HF this evening, I'll check out their hand tools.

I think I'm going to pick up one of their tool cabinets.
I've read good reviews on their tool box's.
Look at the pro red handle stuff. It's far better than the rest.
I work out of a 44" box and a 5 drawer cart from HF. Can't beat them for the money. I'm getting a 56" at some point, but haven't needed it as much as other things yet.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are my Craftsman wrenches, open end and offset box.

View attachment 17756

There is no mention of forged or USA on the wrenches I bought.

I've had good luck with GearWrench ratchets wrenches, they've lasted many years in the stock car shop. The 9/16 reversible gets abused the most tightening bell housing bolts, it acts up once in a while but a little shot of lube and it goes back to work. A 15/16" non-reversible gave up once and I got it replaced by mail, I can't remember if I had to send the old one in or not.

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is no mention of forged or USA on the wrenches I bought.

I've had good luck with GearWrench ratchets wrenches, they've lasted many years in the stock car shop. The 9/16 reversible gets abused the most tightening bell housing bolts, it acts up once in a while but a little shot of lube and it goes back to work. A 15/16" non-reversible gave up once and I got it replaced by mail, I can't remember if I had to send the old one in or not.
The new ones don't have it, they don't want to stamp the point of origin on them. they would catch a lot of flack over it if they did. In reality, the ones you have are probably just as good as my old ones.

Steve NW WI

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The top drawer of my work box. 90+% of what I need is in this drawer. Nothing fancy, mostly cheap import stuff, but it all works.

b8ca0bcdeafb46ece3c72403f7309538.jpg

Just an old Craftsman 4 drawer, last job I had I needed my 7 drawer Kennedy box for all the stuff I needed. Most of that is provided here, if I wanted to run around hunting down tools, I don't really need any here.

4b11f32a1161f707df079fa147cf457f.jpg

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The top drawer of my work box. 90+% of what I need is in this drawer. Nothing fancy, mostly cheap import stuff, but it all works.

b8ca0bcdeafb46ece3c72403f7309538.jpg

Just an old Craftsman 4 drawer, last job I had I needed my 7 drawer Kennedy box for all the stuff I needed. Most of that is provided here, if I wanted to run around hunting down tools, I don't really need any here.

4b11f32a1161f707df079fa147cf457f.jpg
well atleast you got Wiss snips...theyre the only ones worth buying!
is that "pry bar" sposta be a die bar? ive never seen one like it and I useto work in a die shop...

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
heres some wood working equipment pics...
V__085C.jpg
my 20" grizzly planer when I bought it
IMAG00294.jpg
after I rebuilt it, and painted with current grizzly green...also made the "cart" it sits on, (4) 3/4-10 jack screws to level it/keep it stable...
IMAG00293.jpg
old craftsman (emerson) tablesaw with same style leveling cart as the planer, and homemade fence system using 80/20 extrusions...4' rip capacity to right of blade...has a real 2HP 220V Baldor motor, which is about 3x bigger than the supposed "1.5HP" original motor that came on it.....thing sails through 3" white oak with a 12T blade like butter...I mainly built it for making wide pine flooring (straightening 1 side then ripping to width) did about 3000sq.ft. of flooring with it, now it gets used for everything else I need

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
heres my welders and table...
also have a Hypertherm powermax 85 plasma cutter that my buddy's borrowing now so I aint got pics...
V__FCC7.jpg
old(er) Miller Millermatic 200 mig, this is an old pic after I made the "off road" running gear, kingpin steering axle...wheels turn with handle...
my buddy is also borrowing this so I don't have a better pic of the steer axle
maybe someday ill get around to re painting the hood for the machine?
IMAG00288.jpg
5 or 6 year old Miller Syncrowave 250 AC/DC Tig machine, with 1/2HP Baldor grinder mounted on top for grinding tungstens
IMAG00289.jpg IMAG00290.jpg
4x8 table I built when I got the tig machine, top is drilled and tapped 1/2-13 all over for hold downs, 8" reversible Yost vise, will mount anywhere along the edge of the table, just uses 1 hold down and 2 or 3 "clips" (depending where its mounted) that catch the edge of the table...its a heavy MFer!