wrenches

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Craftsman Pros too, bought mine when they were USA made. I don't know if the quality has gone down but it will be difficult to exchange a USA made one for a Chinese made one if one ever breaks. At least they did come down in price from what they used to be. But not much. I'm tellin ya, for Chinese tools the Pittsburgh brand is hard to beat. They are cheap and lifetime warrenty. The long reach wrenches are nice and can be had for about 23 dollars a set. Craftsman tools, you are buying a name. they will cost more.

I have a lot of the Pittsburgh brand in my truck and they get bounced around and abused and never failed. I use the ratchets and socket in my saw box for removing bar nuts. They actually get used a lot and thrown in the dirt and haven't failed once. If one does they will replace it free. I found a large screwdriver someone threw away that they broke the tip off and they replaced it. Now not to be crowing for Chinese made stuff, but for the money they are hard to beat. I also think it's crappy of sears to switch to china for their tools.

If I ever break one and they offer me a chinese one, I'm not going to be a happy camper, but what can ya do.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
11:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
jakethesnake the "reply" button aint workin so...
Armstrong...local dealer...
your hacksaw frame...cast aluminum, except for the top bar...just like all of em! whats "regular metal"?
you buy 3 china frames...ill keep my starrett! also Starrett makes the only blade worth buying!
I grew up around the corner from starrett headquarters, and know many people that work there...I probably have more money in starrett tools than anything else...
Starrett is going down the *s-wordter though, making a lot of their stuff in china...i'll only buy their tools from the little store they have at their headquarters because I know that stuff is made right there!

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
your hacksaw frame...cast aluminum, except for the top bar...just like all of em! whats "regular metal"?
you buy 3 china frames...ill keep my starrett! also Starrett makes the only blade worth buying!
I grew up around the corner from starrett headquarters, and know many people that work there...I probably have more money in starrett tools than anything else...
Starrett is going down the *s-wordter though, making a lot of their stuff in china...i'll only buy their tools from the little store they have at their headquarters because I know that stuff is made right there!
Mine works fine, you may be banned from replying to peoples post.lol

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also.. Pics?

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
stihl sawing
probably 85% of my tools are at work, I aint allowed to take pics there....once a year they take all my measuring tools to have them calibrated (even though we can do that ourselves, but the dated sticker makes it official) and when I get them back its a PITA to remember how/where they all fit in the drawers, I wanted to take a picture of the drawers the first time they did it so I would know , but they wouldn't let me:smiley_1140:
I can get you some pics of the stuff I got at home that is in cardboard boxes...or pics of my metalworking, or woodworking equipment, but that's about it...

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
stihl sawing
probably 85% of my tools are at work, I aint allowed to take pics there....once a year they take all my measuring tools to have them calibrated (even though we can do that ourselves, but the dated sticker makes it official) and when I get them back its a PITA to remember how/where they all fit in the drawers, I wanted to take a picture of the drawers the first time they did it so I would know , but they wouldn't let me:smiley_1140:
I can get you some pics of the stuff I got at home that is in cardboard boxes...or pics of my metalworking, or woodworking equipment, but that's about it...
You must work for the secret service,lol Are they your own tools or tools they have supplied to you to use while you're there?

Reactions: DSS

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You must work for the secret service,lol Are they your own tools or tools they have supplied to you to use while you're there?
i work for Northrop Grumman...(government contractor)
they are my own tools, they replace it if I break it though (if not under warranty)and pay for calibration of measuring tools
we have 3 buildings in 3 different locations in this area, and currently they are trying to figure out how to consolidate to 2 buildings...if/when that happens my tools will be going home.
they really need to get their own tools...I work maintenance on all the equipment between the 3 buildings, we had 4 maintenance guys when I started here 8 years ago, now im the only one left...when im out on vacation or sick, they have a maintenance guy from a different area cover for me...I lock my tools up when im not there, so he's usually screwed whenever he comes because he only brings a small bag with a few scredrivers/pliers, and maybe a meter....
3 years ago when the other 3 guys were laid off, I told my boss to look into getting our own tools...he told me to get a price together for most of what I had in my box, and he just about *s-word a brick when he saw how much it cost...it was something like $40K I have nowhere near that much money into my tools...a lot of them were bought from where I useto work, they auctioned off a lot of their stuff when they downsized, they were a small company so they would buy the best of the best, because they only wanted to buy it once, so I got a lot off top quality tools for near nothing.....but Northrop Grumman is only allowed to buy stuff from "approved vendors" whatever that means? so they have to pay top dollar for everything...its just retarded!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Show whatever ya got can't hell I don't need pics to believe you you're a smart ass about tools as am I that's why I figure you know your shiit

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Craftsman Pros too, bought mine when they were USA made. I don't know if the quality has gone down but it will be difficult to exchange a USA made one for a Chinese made one if one ever breaks. At least they did come down in price from what they used to be. But not much. I'm tellin ya, for Chinese tools the Pittsburgh brand is hard to beat. They are cheap and lifetime warrenty. The long reach wrenches are nice and can be had for about 23 dollars a set. Craftsman tools, you are buying a name. they will cost more.

I have a lot of the Pittsburgh brand in my truck and they get bounced around and abused and never failed. I use the ratchets and socket in my saw box for removing bar nuts. They actually get used a lot and thrown in the dirt and haven't failed once. If one does they will replace it free. I found a large screwdriver someone threw away that they broke the tip off and they replaced it. Now not to be crowing for Chinese made stuff, but for the money they are hard to beat. I also think it's crappy of sears to switch to china for their tools.

If I ever break one and they offer me a chinese one, I'm not going to be a happy camper, but what can ya do.

I've had cheaper tools like Pittsburgh in the past and they always felt unnecessarily bulky and poorly finished. Their newer stuff is much better than it used to be as far as finish but their ratchets are mostly coarse toothed which I hate. I'm probably going to buy a few of the new GearWrench 120xp series ratchets which have 120 divisions and are 1/3 the price of a snap-on 102 or whatever their fine tooth is now days.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have very few "nice" truck tools compared to some I just ordered about 700 bucks worth of random used truck tools but that's not gonna get you too far I have tools that like to walk away for some reason I guess they don't like me much my top shelf stuff lives in my toolbox the off brand stuff rides with me it really just depends to me what it is snap ring pliers for example Matco makes the only ones worth a *s-word the snap on ones are trash I own both looks like Armstrong has a set identical to the Matco ones screwdrivers are another thing I can't like without the old sk expert 2 is the best I've used so on and so on

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still wanna know what "regular metal" is...!
Non aluminum nor stainless smart mouth! Very good question I'll have to ponder and get back to you you own any Armstrong retaining pliers? The ones you screw the nut off and swap for internal / external they look like Matco

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think I am taking a trip to HF this evening, I'll check out their hand tools.

I think I'm going to pick up one of their tool cabinets.
I've read good reviews on their tool box's.

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Non aluminum nor stainless smart mouth! Very good question I'll have to ponder and get back to you you own any Armstrong retaining pliers? The ones you screw the nut off and swap for internal / external they look like Matco
I believe I have 1 pair of Armstrong snap ring pliers...theyre just the stamped steel ones theyre reversible but idk if theyre like matco?
I don't do alot with snap rings so I don't have a lot of pliers...I have the 8" and 10" Channellock "convertible" pliers where you just change the tips, and internal to external is with a switch...those usually handle everything that I need....
my FIL owns a body shop, and he has a lot of Wurth tools...and a very nice set of snapring pliers...theyre forged not stamped like most, so they are nice and solid and don't flex like most...
they are the best ones I have used!...knipex makes a similar set too