Who's running 592s and 585s?

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a 572 that’s kinda funky to start will pop off no problem but takes 1-6 more pulls to fire and stay running. I actually thought it was a fuel line as the primer bulb didn’t seem like a lot of resistance but maybe it’s similar issue. It’s the only autotune I’ve ever had that has this start issue, the others are always 2-4 pulls no matter how long they’ve sat.
The 592 starts different than all the other auto tunes I've owned . I've owned about 17 auto tunes and currently own 9 including the 592 . All the other auto tunes will pop on choke then move the choke lever to the fast idle position and then they start . The 592 starts and runs on choke ! When cold starting it , you might hear a pop but keep the choke on and pull it over . Unlike other auto tunes the 592 starts and runs on choke . After it starts let it run for a few seconds while the choke is still on . Then move the choke lever down to the fast idle position . Once you do this the R.P.M. will go up and the chain will start moving . Then hit the trigger to set the carb at the low idle speed . This is the routine I use for starting my 592 . The first time I started the saw it surprised me when it started up with the choke on .

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe Bob said 592 is made to start and run on choke, high idle is for restarting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have not had any starting issues with my 592, a little disappointing to here some are having issues. I want to be sold on the 592, I'm just not there yet.

The more I'm around AT and Mtronic saws the more I like my regular carb saws, having to find a dealer to hook the saw up to get it running right is just absurd IMHO.

The 592 is not even compatible to a stock 390, the 390 is honestly a dog stock, ported they're hard to beat, and you don't have the stupid computer, but stock to stock the 592 is light-years ahead in performance.

The 592 feels a lot like a 390 in my hands, not even similar to a 395.

Last edited:

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe Bob said 592 is made to start and run on choke, high idle is for restarting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have not had any starting issues with my 592, a little disappointing to here some are having issues. I want to be sold on the 592, I'm just not there yet.

The more I'm around AT and Mtronic saws the more I like my regular carb saws, having to find a dealer to hook the saw up to get it running right is just absurd IMHO.

The 592 is not even compatible to a stock 390, the 390 is honestly a dog stock, ported they're hard to beat, and you don't have the stupid computer, but stock to stock the 592 is light-years go ahead in performance. L

The 592 feels a lot like a 390 in my hands, not even similar to a 395.
I love auto tunes ! I hate tuning saws . Knock on wood . I have never had to take a auto tune to the dealer or do a field reset . IMO auto tunes need to be ran hard . Let them warm up properly and then run the piss out of them . I like to cut wood not tuning chainsaws .

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love auto tunes ! I hate tuning saws . Knock on wood . I have never had to take a auto tune to the dealer or do a field reset . IMO auto tunes need to be ran hard . Let them warm up properly and then run the piss out of them . I like to cut wood not tuning chainsaws .
Out of the many I've used and owned, only two autotuning/mtronic saws were a turd/lemon...my 572 and a 362c we used at work.

Matt Schmitt

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 592 starts different than all the other auto tunes I've owned . I've owned about 17 auto tunes and currently own 9 including the 592 . All the other auto tunes will pop on choke then move the choke lever to the fast idle position and then they start . The 592 starts and runs on choke ! When cold starting it , you might hear a pop but keep the choke on and pull it over . Unlike other auto tunes the 592 starts and runs on choke . After it starts let it run for a few seconds while the choke is still on . Then move the choke lever down to the fast idle position . Once you do this the R.P.M. will go up and the chain will start moving . Then hit the trigger to set the carb at the low idle speed . This is the routine I use for starting my 592 . The first time I started the saw it surprised me when it started up with the choke on .
I’ve never had any issues on the 592’s just the one 572. And I’ve had a lot of 572, and other autos. And yes that’s pretty much how I start my 592 it’s kinda like the stihls that run on choke.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I much prefer tuning my own saws, it only takes a few seconds if you know what you're doing, and it's not like you tuning every few minutes. I would say going down to a dealer to have a saw hooked up, would take more time than it would turning the saw once everyday for a year. And that's considering you even have a competent dealer nearby, and they don't charge you, and if they have the time to do it on the spot.

Now don't get me wrong I like the concept all in all, and just cutting without ever messing around is attractive, most professionals don't like to mess around and many don't even know how to tune a carburetor. It's just at this poit there have been lingering hiccups.

Out of the forty or so AT and Mtronic saws I've owned, ran and ported, for me only three models of them consistently tuned themselves to my liking. The 576, 572 and the fuel injected 500i, and one could argue the 500i is too rich without plenty of load, but that's reall just how Stihl limits the light load RPM.

The 562, and Mark-1 550 were a total mess. The 441 would constantly hunt for tune under load, the early 661 was a mess as well, they now are real good, close to perfect, but the early ones left a bad taste with some. The 462's have overall been very good, they can occasionally miss a beat when warm starting, but that's few and far between. 261 had the solenoid issues most Mtronic models did, and I find them to still run a little rich at idle, better rich than lean like the 550.

When it comes to the 592, I simply don't have enough trigger time on the saw to pass my full judgment, but so far the only complaint is it bounces hard on the limiter, it starts very easy cold, warm or hot, and accelerates lightning fast. It's also a sample size of one. [emoji3577]

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I much prefer my auto tunes than screwing around with screws. A ported saw and weather changes require a fare amount of adjusting, if anybody can honestly say they like doing that more power to them but it’s not for me! When I go cut that’s what I want to do

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I much prefer my auto tunes than screwing around with screws. A ported saw and weather changes require a fare amount of adjusting, if anybody can honestly say they like doing that more power to them but it’s not for me! When I go cut that’s what I want to do
Amen!

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kinda feel like tuning a carb is a bit blown out of proportion. For a work saw anyhow. Most people seem to be hung up on every last split second of speed thru the log! It’s a work saw…set it a little fat and run it. It’s safe that way. If your building a race saw sure I get it. But for work or firewood it really isn’t a big deal. As long as you know what you doing I suppose. Don’t get me wrong mt/at saws are neat…until they aren’t. I’ve had surprisingly good luck with some of the most hated. Like my ported mk1 550xp. She’s a runner…knock on wood.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kinda feel like tuning a carb is a bit blown out of proportion. For a work saw anyhow. Most people seem to be hung up on every last split second of speed thru the log! It’s a work saw…set it a little fat and run it. It’s safe that way. If your building a race saw sure I get it. But for work or firewood it really isn’t a big deal. As long as you know what you doing I suppose. Don’t get me wrong mt/at saws are neat…until they aren’t. I’ve had surprisingly good luck with some of the most hated. Like my ported mk1 550xp. She’s a runner…knock on wood.
If you tune a saw on the rich side, you may have to tune once a year, my work saws rarely need to be tuned. Sure they may be on the rich side, but as you said I'm not racing when I'm bucking logs. Now obviously if they sound too lean an adjustment is immediately required. And if you don't like tuning a saw, well maybe you don't really like chainsaws.[emoji1787][emoji6]

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you tune a saw on the rich side, you may have to tune once a year, my work saws rarely need to be tuned. Sure they may be on the rich side, but as you said I'm not racing when I'm bucking logs. Now obviously if they sound too lean an adjustment is immediately required. And if you don't like tuning a saw, well maybe you don't really like chainsaws.[emoji1787][emoji6]
Well maybe you’re wrong……

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what happened that it would not start was it the height above sea level.
I dought it since it was always in the mountains and its a atuo learning system. It was mostly the 550xp saws we got 6 years ago ,hot,cold,high,or regular elevation they gave us trouble.
Now all of are 555s wont idle, they run fine just won't sit there and idle for 1 minute. Kinda PITA restarting a saw 10 times cutting little stuff.
I ordered new ignitions for the 555s and I'm sure they'll be fixed ,but not by me ,I don't have the software.
Trail work requires a different level of self sufficiency that can't be contingent on program data.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7dba77261b3a53d1fbc2fea30ad1ec93.jpg

Played with both of these yesterday. They’re both stock. I was just out testing the 592 before I port it to get a feel for it. It def feels more like a ported saw straight out the box. I was impressed with how it handled a 36” bar in hard wood. A ported 395 IMO is in a different league so It’ll be interesting to see how it stacks up once it’s done.

It’s def a nice saw to use. I’m liking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7dba77261b3a53d1fbc2fea30ad1ec93.jpg

Played with both of these yesterday. They’re both stock. I was just out testing the 592 before I port it to get a feel for it. It def feels more like a ported saw straight out the box. I was impressed with how it handled a 36” bar in hard wood. A ported 395 IMO is in a different league so It’ll be interesting to see how it stacks up once it’s done.

It’s def a nice saw to use. I’m liking it.

My 592 has been a real pleasure to run good acceleration and power, but my 394 has the torque edge on it .

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 592 has been a real pleasure to run good acceleration and power, but my 394 has the torque edge on it .

Love my 394. I forgot to take it with me yesterday. I’ve only ran it with a 28 so I need to get that 36 on it to get a real comparison. I do like the grunt of the older saws over the scream of the new though.