Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Croatia's government has placed a ban on store price gouging on specific items.
Controls have revealed that some stores up priced products up to 25% which is deemed illegal, the stores in question will be sanctioned.

On TV they keep telling people to stop making panic purchases as it only causes panic in others!
Supposedly the main supermarket chains have a stock supply for up to two months if people shop in a "normal" manner.
Re-supplying the warehouses is being organized Europe Union wide.

Supposedly price gouging crack downs on private for sale ads have been made.
Apparently a guy was selling packs of 10 pcs. simple paper dust masks for ~50$ per pack while they are/were ~0.20$ a piece.

The ones are stupid, the others are greedy - then One tries to stay normal being surrounded by such folk. :confused:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a state government employee for my day job. My agency has suspended in-person services to the general public, which is a small part of our mission anyway. We can still carry on as usual with the following changes. All employees who are able to work at home are encouraged to do so. This doesn't include me and I'm ok with that because I wouldn't get anything done if I did. Incoming mail is quarantined for 9 days prior to being opened, which is fine because most of it is just agency records being returned for storage.

My second job is at a regional chain of home and farm stores. I work in sporting goods, which means I get a front row seat to the locust hordes that have devoured the guns and ammo. Otherwise we are pretty well stocked on things, except TP of course. Our store is staying open normal hours.

I really, really hope I am able to continue to work through this because I can't stand missing work for any reason. I am not self-motivated, I need a boss and a time clock. Left to my own devices, I just sit on my arse and do nothing much of the time. I do have farm and yard work to do, however I have a four year old that I need to watch also which limits what I can do, i.e. nothing noisy or potentially dangerous. My wife is the primary source of household income and she works alot at home even in normal times.

To be honest I am much more afraid of people's behavior than I am of the disease itself. Of the cases in Kentucky, the prognosis is good for most of them. The few that have died were elderly and/or already comporomised when they go it. We have gone through communicable diseases that were much deadlier and often left the survivors with lifelong consequences. My great-grandma and one of my great-uncles died of tuberculosis, a nasty disease that can take decades to kill you. In 1916, 2000 people in New York City died of Polio, of course many thousands more would be killed or crippled by the disease before the Salk vaccine was introduced. Life went on in spite of TB and Polio, and it will have to continue with corona virus too.

edritchey

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm still working and not sick so far so good I hope this goes away sooner then later. I'm no spring chicken and I'm hoping I don't get sick because I don't think things would end well. Stay safe out there and good luck.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hallo. My wife had high fever for 4 days and now the fewer is almost gone. It was just like a regular flu. I have been feling a little sick to But not much. Regards Bjorn
Glad to hear that. This seems to be the case in normally healthy people. GWS

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ohio's stay at home order starts tomorrow at midnight till April 6th and DeWine says you better have a good reason for being out. Officer friend of mine says he was told be prepared for 16 hr shifts so im assuming they'll be checking up on those out in public. Im a little different than most and i keep alot of tabs on our lovely gov't so i have a feeling this lockdown will surpass the 14 days and some highly unconstitutional things are likely to happen. Hope im wrong. Good luck all

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hallo. My wife had high fever for 4 days and now the fewer is almost gone. It was just like a regular flu. I have been feling a little sick to But not much. Regards Bjorn

Did you two test positive for corona?
What is the current corona virus policy in Sweden? A friend of mine in Malmo claims there isn't much being done other than a suggestion of social distancing.
A young man under 30 in a local clinic to me positive for corona who had a fever last Friday has been sent to a ICU in Dublin as of today.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of comments on 'masks', N95', and 'respirators' being tossed around lately, like these are interchangeable terms and items. This is a good source of information on the differences in design and applications, between some of them:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/respsource3healthcare.html#e

Screen shot 2020-03-16 at 11.08.45 AM.png Mask
Screen shot 2020-03-16 at 11.09.22 AM.png Respirator

Some 'surgical masks' protect the patient, from the health care provider breathing or sneezing on them. Respirators protect the health care provider, reducing their risk of inhaling the virus, but they must be fit properly. I was trained that if a respirator fits comfortably, it is probably not being worn correctly. The photos of people wearing either one over their mouth, but not their nose, or with one strap hanging, make me want to pull my remaining hair out.

Philbert

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, I've used N95s for years and thought they were dust masks. I thought respirators all looked like this.
3m-half-mask-respirators-6211pa1-a-e1_1000.jpg
t i

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of comments on 'masks', N95', and 'respirators' being tossed around lately, like these are interchangeable terms and items. This is a good source of information on the differences in design and applications, between some of them:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/respsource3healthcare.html#e

View attachment 231648 Mask
View attachment 231649 Respirator

Some 'surgical masks' protect the patient, from the health care provider breathing or sneezing on them. Respirators protect the health care provider, reducing their risk of inhaling the virus, but they must be fit properly. I was trained that if a respirator fits comfortably, it is probably not being worn correctly. The photos of people wearing either one over their mouth, but not their nose, or with one strap hanging, make me want to pull my remaining hair out.

Philbert
I have to correct myself. I meant to say ventilators. Covid is a respiratory disease. Our hospitals here are woefully short on them. Few hospitals are prepared that way for a sars like pandemic. =(

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to correct myself. I meant to say ventilators. Covid is a respiratory disease. Our hospitals here are woefully short on them. Few hospitals are prepared that way for a sars like pandemic. =(

I am pretty sure every nation would like a few thousand extra ventilators. Talk here is that at least one likely more of the auto parts mfg will be switching to ventilators right away. Apparently some of the mfg engineers have already met with the ventilators mfg and have helped them streamline their processes.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, I've used N95s for years and thought they were dust masks. I thought respirators all looked like this.
One is a 'disposable', single use respirator, that filters the air through its fabric.

The other is a reusable, 'half-mask' respirator that filters air through cartridges. Each has advantages in certain applications.

***But there are 'dust masks' that are not certified, which are cheaper, and which do not filter the air as well. That is why the fussy terminology can be important.

Philbert

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 231648 Mask
View attachment 231649 Respirator

Philbert

Thanks Philbert for your, I'm assuming, professional knowledge. If you don't mind I'll add some. People are loading or have loaded up on the N95s. Unfortunately , unless trained and completely aware of the how and why the respirators function most individuals will use an N95 and it will function no better than a regular mask as a physical barrier rather than an air filtering device. When I worked in a hospital we had to go though the complete fitment process. Plain and simple if they are not perfectly sealed the will not do what they are designed for.

This is the OSHA fitment vid.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Air (including any contaminants) will take the path of least resistance. If the respirator is not tightly sealed against the user's face, it will 'leak' around the respirator, instead of passing through the filter. That's why they have to be sized for, and fit to, the individual. And why the user has to wear them correctly.

Philbert

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They just layed off/canned 6 employees at my shop. That sucks. :(

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Things are starting to affect us. A fellow plumber called me today and said he’s off due to people not wanting them in the buildings. I had one customer ask me to wait till things pass and the shop is starting to worry about work as it’s happening more and more for us. Time will tell but my thought is any residential service work will be very slow unless it’s a major issue. The large buildings and apartments will still do things but probably still be some what limited per the job.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Things are starting to affect us. A fellow plumber called me today and said he’s off due to people not wanting them in the buildings. I had one customer ask me to wait till things pass and the shop is starting to worry about work as it’s happening more and more for us. Time will tell but my thought is any residential service work will be very slow unless it’s a major issue. The large buildings and apartments will still do things but probably still be some what limited per the job.

Residential construction is changing here. No longer can trades co-mingle inside a house plumbing, mechanical and electrical must stagger rough ins and finishings. Only one trade in a house at a time.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found this last night. I hope it helps someone.

Passing on the following from a physician colleague:

Working last night in our very busy Coronavirus/Covid-19 ICU I must have single used and discarded over 50 goggles and N-95 masks. Wasteful but necessary. Half the time I had to suit up just to tend to the IV pumps. This morning I suggested moving the pumps into the hallway and running tubing extensions to the patient. Today the hospital implemented this and it will save thousands of valuable PPE sets. Please share this idea with your institutions. Quality PPE will shortly become scarce.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The county next to where I live issued a stay at home order, starting today.
They are requiring all non essential businesses to close. However, they are leaving it up to the individual business to determine if they are essential.

It also stipulates that all residents must remain in their homes or on their property, "except to engage in those activities they deem essential to their physical, mental or spiritual well being or employment."
There is no consequence for noncompliance.

What a joke!
This order in effect, does nothing, other than allow a politician to say he's taking steps to curtail the spread of the virus.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The county next to where I live issued a stay at home order, starting today.
They are requiring all non essential businesses to close. However, they are leaving it up to the individual business to determine if they are essential.

It also stipulates that all residents must remain in their homes or on their property, "except to engage in those activities they deem essential to their physical, mental or spiritual well being or employment."
There is no consequence for noncompliance.

What a joke!
This order in effect, does nothing, other than allow a politician to say he's taking steps to curtail the spread of the virus.

What county is that? Hell, you need a letter from your employer in STL county proving you have to be out. Get caught out for no reason is a misdemeanor!