What's your favorite 70cc saw?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in western colorado and regularly cut in the 8,000' - 10,000' range. I don't own any A/T or M/T saws but I always assumed that they would have enough adjustment range to tune at these elevations. Does this apply to stock saws only? Have you run modified A/T M/T saws at high elevations?

I have quite a bit. I find them more unreliable than at lower elevations though they will run. The most recent versions of MT/AT seem better but they still struggle to lean out. It’s worse in smaller saws like 201tc, 550mk2, even 362c. Timing advance and raising the piston windows (and transfer uppers) helps a bit.

Regardless of carb type, at elevation make sure you tune/calibrate the carb and clean the spark arrestor often. Watch for carbon buildup. Bring extra saws. The higher you go, the more problems you will have.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not always necessary and just because you stay with older technology doesn't mean you are stuck.
I choose to run traditional carb saws because I can fix them, they don't need to be plugged in and don't have a husky or Stihl dealer for an hour.
I also choose to own non emissions, non computerized diesel equipment, once again their simple, run forever and so I can fix them and I don't "need" John Deere's high dollar tech support.
Sticking with older technology doesn't always mean you are stuck in the mud it just means that you are okay with chugging through.
90.00 a hour shop rate on a 800.00+ chainsaw
Stihl guy's are what 1100.00+ for their auto whatever.
Plus to get to a nearest dealer
With the equipment is about an hour drive
To and from
And there will be wait time involved
Nah
I'll stick with what I have.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cabin is only at 2,200 feet, and you won't get more than double that anywhere in NYS.

My saws may stumble for a second of two with the change in elevation (the house is about 500 ft), but then they are fine. FYI, I never plunge a saw immediately into the wood anyway.

And it sure beats trying to get that tiny screw driver into a tiny hole, and in the screw slot on a vibrating power head while you are in the bush!

My newer M Tronic saws have run flawlessly, and I'm keeping them!

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Needed to add the 462 to my previous list of favorite 70cc class saws its the lightest in the class only saw close is also another stihl (500i)
Be a top contender for anyone looking for one saw to cover everything but the biggest stuff

Last edited:

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My lightest saw besides a top handle Stihl 192tc is the 572 and its more saw and bar than I need sometimes so I eventually plan to add a 550 mark 2 with a 16 bar to my line up. A 462 sits right in between those 2 weight wise. Amazed how Stihl got a 70cc saw that light. Husky use to be lightest in class but times have changed. Very happy with my 572 that said 462 is another excellent option both have their advantages

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Needed to add the 462 to my previous list of favorite 70cc class saws its the lightest in the class only saw close is also another stihl (500i)
Be a top contender for anyone looking for one saw to cover everything but the biggest stuff
Good saw for anything under a 28 for sure

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My lightest saw besides a top handle Stihl 192tc is the 572 and its more saw and bar than I need sometimes so I eventually plan to add a 550 mark 2 with a 16 bar to my line up. A 462 sits right in between those 2 weight wise. Amazed how Stihl got a 70cc saw that light. Husky use to be lightest in class but times have changed. Very happy with my 572 that said 462 is another excellent option both have their advantages
. Run an 18" on my 550mk2 and it handles it well. But mainly cut red oak, use it after dropping and bucking trunk with larger saw. It's become a favorite for 18 and under.

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Reasonable statement for huskyboy to make though. I took it as agreeing with my thoughts on the 462 it's a superb option for the majority of cutting needs but not my choice for long bars/big wood. If I need to pull and oil 30 or more inches of chain I would not chose ANY 70cc options if I had a larger powerhead available. Same token for a 16 to 18" bar and chain I would prefer a smaller powerhead if available (50 to 60cc class stuff) relative to what I cut here. I would like to run a 462 with a 20" bar I think I would enjoy that setup. Imagining a feel similar to the 562xp but more powerful

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
34" on a 70cc saw? That's impossible! [emoji854] Honestly in hardwood it would be slow going, but in fir no problem.
Yeah , its loblolly pine so not hardwood, but it blasted through the pine with that bar.
I run a 28" full comp for other stuff.