What's on your bench?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It chaps my ass because I just put brand new bearings in it. I’m not going to chance it; its getting split and another set of bearings. Again, its not my saw and the sentimental value is high on this saw. To be honest; I am utterly crushed that I wrecked the cyl on a saw that meant so much to the owner.
Yea here you but don't beat yourself up crap happens and unfortunately it happens a lot with saw's darn things are spinning a lot of RPMs.

Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it's running a pop up?

If that's the case, machining the band would fix the cylinder if you went to a normal piston. It wouldn't affect the intake timing

Yes, .030 pop up inside the squish band. You may be right. I’ll have to measure it again to be sure.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea here you but don't beat yourself up crap happens and unfortunately it happens a lot with saw's darn things are spinning a lot of RPMs.

I hate mistakes. Premature failure of parts I installed equates to a failure/mistake on my part. Or at least that’s how I see it. I take anything I attach my name to very seriously. If it ain’t perfect, it ain’t mine.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate mistakes. Premature failure of parts I installed equates to a failure/mistake on my part. Or at least that’s how I see it. I take anything I attach my name to very seriously. If it ain’t perfect, it ain’t mine.
NOT saying you did anything wrong at all but I usually cut the tangs off of the clips. OEM or aftermarket. Seen to many things like that happen. It does happen though my friend,so dont beat yourself up over it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NOT saying you did anything wrong at all but I usually cut the tangs off of the clips. OEM or aftermarket. Seen to many things like that happen. It does happen though my friend,so dont beat yourself up over it.

Live and learn. Ain’t gonna be any ears on any clips from here on out, i promise you that

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually leave just a tiny bit of the ear, like enough to grab with hemostats.

I did a 550 that spit a clip for a tree service had about 50hrs on it before it spit the clip though, I figured if it was to lose a clip it would do it right away.

They never paid me for the first rebuild after their ground guy straight gassed it so I didn't offer to fix it....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys install them so the opening in the clips faces a certain direction?
It sounds kind of silly, but I was taught and have always oritentated the opening to be at the bottom of the piston.
Supposedly forces acting upon them could cause them to compress and pop out if the opening was 90 degrees to the actual plane the piston traveled.
I have done hundreds of car and small 4 strokes this way and never had 1 come out, but they dont spin the rpm either.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys install them so the opening in the clips faces a certain direction?
It sounds kind of silly, but I was taught and have always oritentated the opening to be at the bottom of the piston.
Supposedly forces acting upon them could cause them to compress and pop out if the opening was 90 degrees to the actual plane the piston traveled.
I have done hundreds of car and small 4 strokes this way and never had 1 come out, but they dont spin the rpm either.
I've thought about this also but saws I've torn down I've noticed them all different directions so..... idk really

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought about this also but saws I've torn down I've noticed them all different directions so..... idk really

I have taken apart many car engines that were all over the place as well.
But, I have always installed them with the opening down.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to fix another silvey motor. It must have been dropped at sometime, the bottom plate was bent and had a small crack. Welded the crack and skim cut the surfaces to make everything true again.

8cc86753bec70ef15bf2e2d7d5b1935d.jpg

67eb9ef9336caa0bd005fc3fd90f5bb7.jpg