What's on your bench?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody experienced a motor not running "free" due to a slightly large piston? I've read that .002" - .003" is good. Wondering if under that might cause a saw motor to be a dog
My last quote was if the piston was to free. A bigger piston and being a little bit on the snug side would cause more friction and heat which would reduce proper lubrication and will cause loss of power.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My last quote was if the piston was to free. A bigger piston and being a little bit on the snug side would cause more friction and heat which would reduce proper lubrication and will cause loss of power.
That's what I was thinking

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I fixed a MS460 that was not running right and needed some repairs for a local firewood guy.

Repaired the recoil, and a chipped crank (near the clip for the clutch)(both with PL Premium), put a new pleated air filter on it, modded the muffler and removed the carb limiters (carb was so gunked up you could not adjust the Hi). Also had to lube the recoil (I love that Fluid Film stuff).

Returned it to them and they were thrilled 1) that I was able to fix it, they were ready to junk it, and 2) could not believe how strong it ran. Said it was night and day difference from how it ran before I worked on it.

They were completely shocked, and declared (I kid you not) "it runs just as strong as the Magnum 460"!!!! (I had previously modded that one).

It did make me feel good that they were so happy with how well it ran. Muff mods and removing the limiters really help sometimes, but I also think the old air filter was just choking it, and the carb was just out of tune.

Nice to have happy customers!

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So I fixed a MS460 that was not running right and needed some repairs for a local firewood guy.

Repaired the recoil, and a chipped crank (near the clip for the clutch)(both with PL Premium), put a new pleated air filter on it, modded the muffler and removed the carb limiters (carb was so gunked up you could not adjust the Hi). Also had to lube the recoil (I love that Fluid Film stuff).

Returned it to them and they were thrilled 1) that I was able to fix it, they were ready to junk it, and 2) could not believe how strong it ran. Said it was night and day difference from how it ran before I worked on it.

They were completely shocked, and declared (I kid you not) "it runs just as strong as the Magnum 460"!!!! (I had previously modded that one).

It did make me feel good that they were so happy with how well it ran. Muff mods and removing the limiters really help sometimes, but I also think the old air filter was just choking it, and the carb was just out of tune.

Nice to have happy customers!
A properly tuned saw can make a big difference

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uggh, I'm trying to get rid of OPE but more keeps coming in. Sold a nice (for big box store) Husqvarna self propelled push mower that I fixed to my best friend and he talked me into taking a Craftsman push mower as partial payment. He was going to give me two but I made him keep one as a backup. I really need to pile up all the fixers in the barn and clear out the garage for automotive work.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are spoiling ourselves rotten, lunch is included in the robot training course.
It isn't easy to concentrate with a full belly.

Today's lunch.

IMAG0317.jpg
IMAG0318.jpg
IMAG0319.jpg

The above was on the "bench" for a short time.

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was you eating outside under a tree looks like some leafs fell into that soup
Ha ha, funny thing You're asking because YES we are eating outside under a tree and leaves are constantly falling (I'll have to remember to take a picture of it).
We were joking around that I should eat half the soup and ask for a new bowl claiming the leaf fell from the tree into my soup - but in my case the leaf is a spice and I happen to get it.

The food is great,the waitress cute and the location OK.

Two nights ago, during our first evening in town, we ordered three jumbo pizzas, the waiter gave us a perplexed look and asked how many more are coming.
When we said it's just us five he replied that we should order two pizzas first and go from there.
The jumbo pizza has a 20" diameter.
IMAG0313.jpg IMAG0315.jpg
IMAG0316.jpg

A third jumbo pizza wouldn't have fit on the table nor in our bellies.
The tap beer was good and so were the pizzas.
It took us a little while to get the "bench" cleared. ;)

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ha ha, funny thing You're asking because YES we are eating outside under a tree and leaves are constantly falling (I'll have to remember to take a picture of it).
We were joking around that I should eat half the soup and ask for a new bowl claiming the leaf fell from the tree into my soup - but in my case the leaf is a spice and I happen to get it.

The food is great,the waitress cute and the location OK.

Two nights ago, during our first evening in town, we ordered three jumbo pizzas, the waiter gave us a perplexed look and asked how many more are coming.
When we said it's just us five he replied that we should order two pizzas first and go from there.
The jumbo pizza has a 20" diameter.
View attachment 141018 View attachment 141020
View attachment 141021

A third jumbo pizza wouldn't have fit on the table nor in our bellies.
The tap beer was good and so were the pizzas.
It took us a little while to get the "bench" cleared. ;)

That's some good looking pizza

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Considering I received a good response to my pizza post, here is tonight's dinner "bench":
- 0.5 liter tap beer each (5 of us), I had two in order to make the pizza feel comfortable and welcome :D
- four large pizzas, large pizza is 13" diameter

P1040264.JPG P1040268.JPG P1040269.JPG P1040270.JPG P1040271.JPG

No waitress in tonight's establishment. :(
Good thing I had food under my nose otherwise my drooling over a hot blonde long legged customer next to me would have been too obvious. :eusa_whistle:

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Ope!

I’m going to put a 460 mag case together.

I’ve got oem everything..
Gaskets, bearings, seals.....

What gasket sealer if any would you recommend for the crankcase gasket and crank bearings?

I’ve got a bottle of 518 lying around but afleet seems to like threebond 1184.

Please lemme know.

I’d like to get her together tonight or tomorrow.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Ope!

I’m going to put a 460 mag case together.

I’ve got oem everything..
Gaskets, bearings, seals.....

What gasket sealer if any would you recommend for the crankcase gasket and crank bearings?

I’ve got a bottle of 518 lying around but afleet seems to like threebond 1184.

Please lemme know.

I’d like to get her together tonight or tomorrow.
I use a real thin coat of 518. Just enough to make the gasket stick.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so i finally got my bar from LCS for the MS210/250. Worth the wait almost. I think this was made in Santas secret shop then delivered on foot by the runt penguin of the the North pole all the way to Cali. Then flow around the world against the jet stream in a powered parachute and came in through the east side of IL. Make sense cuz im on the opposite side of the state facing Cali. Ok im done:D my problem is with this fine piece of machinery that its not fitting up rite with my saw. I have a 3/8-7t rim gear, cross performance 55DL lp chain and a GB 55DL lp bar. AO74 like it calls for. Its like i need a 56DL chain. Pics will make more sense. Litterally took it apart to see if i could get it on and this is maxed out. Still 1/2 of the adjuster away from fitting. But i thought all my #'s should be rite..... please helpimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so i finally got my bar from LCS for the MS210/250. Worth the wait almost. I think this was made in Santas secret shop then delivered on foot by the runt penguin of the the North pole all the way to Cali. Then flow around the world against the jet stream in a powered parachute and came in through the east side of IL. Make sense cuz im on the opposite side of the state facing Cali. Ok im done:D my problem is with this fine piece of machinery that its not fitting up rite with my saw. I have a 3/8-7t rim gear, cross performance 55DL lp chain and a GB 55DL lp bar. AO74 like it calls for. Its like i need a 56DL chain. Pics will make more sense. Litterally took it apart to see if i could get it on and this is maxed out. Still 1/2 of the adjuster away from fitting. But i thought all my #'s should be rite..... please helpView attachment 141128View attachment 141129View attachment 141130View attachment 141131View attachment 141132

Is that the right rim sprocket?