High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What's on your bench?

Local time
3:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You said you had to replace flywheel side crank case. Is there a chance the ignition coil changed positions due to a design change. The reason I mention this is because there is a date of 25/2005 shown in the ipl for that saw let me see if I have the tech notes anywhere on it.
The misted fuelinstead of flooding when pulled that much still has me wondering about carb. Did you try raising the lever a bit? What is the pop off pressure on the lever when pressure tested through fuel inlet?

So after talking with a couple old guys who deal with carbs we have come to the conclusion that the original fuel pump gasket/membrane was no good (i figured and replaced t) and the replacement one was too stiff. Its not allowing enough fuel to flow through, even arter adjusting the needle and diaphragm 20-25 times. The general consesus was order another new OEM Walbro kit, replace all the gaskets/diaphragms again. (I had already used 2 kits I had but they were AM kits). The WJ114 carb takes a specialized carb kit with a ‘D’ series diaphragm and fuel pump, which these carbs are finicky about. The standard K-10 kit does not work correctly on these carbs and REQUIRES the K15-WJ carb kit (even though others have used the K10).

So. It looks like this is my fault for utilizing AfterMarket parts kits I had on hand. Ordered an OEM parts kit and having it overnighted to me to get this running.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So after talking with a couple old guys who deal with carbs we have come to the conclusion that the original fuel pump gasket/membrane was no good (i figured and replaced t) and the replacement one was too stiff. Its not allowing enough fuel to flow through, even arter adjusting the needle and diaphragm 20-25 times. The general consesus was order another new OEM Walbro kit, replace all the gaskets/diaphragms again. (I had already used 2 kits I had but they were AM kits). The WJ114 carb takes a specialized carb kit with a ‘D’ series diaphragm and fuel pump, which these carbs are finicky about. The standard K-10 kit does not work correctly on these carbs and REQUIRES the K15-WJ carb kit (even though others have used the K10).

So. It looks like this is my fault for utilizing AfterMarket parts kits I had on hand. Ordered an OEM parts kit and having it overnighted to me to get this running.
I sure hope you're on the right track. Although, to me, that seems unbelievable...

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am on the 3rd carb kit. All seals gaskets and diaphragm has been replaced

I'd make sure everything's dry, then try it with a few drops of fuel down the intake with the carb removed. If it still won't fire then that certainty eliminates the carb flooding things as the immediate issue.

Or at least do the same with the carb on and make sure the carb is completely dry and disconnected from tank.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I thought it wasn't firing with a prime...?

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd make sure everything's dry, then try it with a few drops of fuel down the intake with the carb removed. If it still won't fire then that certainty eliminates the carb flooding things as the immediate issue.

Or at least do the same with the carb on and make sure the carb is completely dry and disconnected from tank.

Its not “flooding” its sporadic fuel feeding according to these guys. Similiar to a improperly adjusted float levels in a Holley. Sometimes catches, fires and runs; other times just won’t idle.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2159c... circumventing the "C" with a proper muffler mod.[emoji16]

20c17b6f05fa2f6fd65018850996fa81.jpg
8dfabe5ebc299696663a8aeba58b7788.jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had no proprietary impulse line for a stihl on hand and needed it running... 395xp carb base grommet and some tygon I had on hand.... should work ok for now.3F68FCC8-86C1-44A6-8FAD-F21A55849A50.jpeg

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had no proprietary impulse line for a stihl on hand and needed it running... 395xp carb base grommet and some tygon I had on hand.... should work ok for now.View attachment 130359
Get it changed out pretty quick it Tygon doesn't hold up long. We found it out on 3000-3750 Poulans.
Shep

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sometimes the rebuilds run, but after testing for the 2nd time they fail. 28" buried in dry ash.

Couldnt get the freaking ext port just right after someone had tried to port it themselves. I tried and failed myself to fix the damage they done. Oh well is what it is. :p

Some junk pulled from the muffler too. :cool:

Glad I have unmolested cylinders and pistons for these.

DSCF0582.JPG DSCF0579.JPG DSCF0584.JPG

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update... I was determined to find a good solution to the 046 impulse that’s not proprietary. I rooted through my junk pile and found a 670 johnny with a oem impulse in good shape with the protective sleeve over it as well... so it won’t wear a hole in the line rubbing on the tank when the AV is moving. Transferred that to the 046 and looks pretty good! 084’s have a separate line for impulse like this and they endure tougher abuses so I don’t see how this won’t work...A6D4A0B7-C9F9-40E7-A2BB-0D69C02598C3.jpeg