PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the most underrated steaks there is

aka poor mans’ brisket…God only knows how many hundreds I’ve smoked over the decades and they turn out just as good as brisket.
Yeah man this was cheap maybe like $11 at the grocery store. When I took it off I let it rest about 20 minutes before we ate. No one said a word they were just chowing down.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks pretty tasty!
I didn't take any pictures of it on the plate, I was too busy eating three full plates in the first sitting.
It was freaking great, boar, deer, lamb, pork, maybe beef not sure.

It is one of the traditional culinary delights of Croatia, every chef does it different and uses his/her own secret spice mix.
Some do go overboard though and You'll be sick with bowel issues for a day or three.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
aka poor mans’ brisket…God only knows how many hundreds I’ve smoked over the decades and they turn out just as good as brisket.
Seriously? I have always wanted to smoke a roast, any cut, but didn't know anybody who tried it. Do you do anything different from smoking a brisket?

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seriously? I have always wanted to smoke a roast, any cut, but didn't know anybody who tried it. Do you do anything different from smoking a brisket?
Just like you'd smoke a brisket...225-230 degs. Dollar for dollar they're bout the same price per lb, but you don't have to invest in a 12-15lb packer or 10lb or so flat. Take 'em to 160-170 internal, they'll hit the stall just like a brisket, I always wrap in butcher paper then to keep 'em a little more moist, and take it 205-210 internal. Wrap in a towel and put in a cooler for an hour or two. Some good eats.

I find chuck roasts are more tender in the end if you let 'em sit in the fridge uncovered overnight seasoned real good, then let 'em sit on the counter at room temp for at least and hour/hour and a half before putting them on the smoker.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just like you'd smoke a brisket...225-230 degs. Dollar for dollar they're bout the same price per lb, but you don't have to invest in a 12-15lb packer or 10lb or so flat. Take 'em to 160-170 internal, they'll hit the stall just like a brisket, I always wrap in butcher paper then to keep 'em a little more moist, and take it 205-210 internal. Wrap in a towel and put in a cooler for an hour or two. Some good eats.

I find chuck roasts are more tender in the end if you let 'em sit in the fridge uncovered overnight seasoned real good, then let 'em sit on the counter at room temp for at least and hour/hour and a half before putting them on the smoker.
A smoked chuck makes some pretty decent burnt ends as well. Smoke it as you said then chunk it up, sauce it and back in the smoker.

Last edited:

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4 pound chick roast on the smoker this morning to do some burnt ends. First time so hopefully they eat.
Sounds good. Have a 14lb brisket on da smoker at 225 since 9pm last night…wrapped in butcher paper not long ago, push it through the stall and be ready for the wrapped in a big towel, 2-3hr cooler rest ‘bout noon or so.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good. Have a 14lb brisket on da smoker at 225 since 9pm last night…wrapped in butcher paper not long ago, push it through the stall and be ready for the wrapped in a big towel, 2-3hr cooler rest ‘bout noon or so.

I’m at 157 now and the recipe I’m using says to wrap at 165 then take to 195. Let rest for about 20 minutes then cube and put in a pan with brown sugar and bbq sauce and continue to cook until tender. I have only done apps on my smoker since I got it. I want a pellet grill but I’m going ti use this electric vertical smoker for a while longer as it doesn’t have the digital control so it should help me learn better. Of course we have sh!t weather today. Rain snow and high winds so I have the smoker tucked out of the wind. Even with the temp turned all the way up the analog temp gauge reads just over 200 so I don’t even know what temp it’s at.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are not lasting long. My dad stopped by and was surprised how tender and tasty they are. Wife took a bowl to the couch. I have to go cook steaks tonight again so my guess is there will be none left when I get home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 17

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are not lasting long. My dad stopped by and was surprised how tender and tasty they are. Wife took a bowl to the couch. I have to go cook steaks tonight again so my guess is there will be none left when I get home.
Glad they turned out well.
I do those a few times a year. They’re always a big hit.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been thinking about getting a charcoal grill for awhile now and picked up this package deal today. Weber Kettle has only been used once. I'm excited to try this out. I've never grilled on charcoal before so something new to learn.

Attachments

• 20230417_193948.jpg
    20230417_193948.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 10