Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope. That one belongs to the shop I work at. I used smaller smokers for the competition. Offset barrel (horizontal) that I still have. It's a Brinkman made out of 1/4". That cooker has done a lot of cooking and does a good job. I also had a vertical smoker with an offset fire box. That thing was awesome. It only lasted about 5 years tho. It was a much lighter gauge steel and drafty. Webers did well too. I had a standard 22" and a bullet. Some of the guys that competed had some truly amazing rigs. Wish I had some pics.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10.6 lb brisket. Made a rub concockted of what was in the cabinet. Aint gonna lie its just hillbilly mash of what i use already. Mix um altogether and its got to be good x4 rite?;) Heres what i used for seasonings (plus some garlic salt and parsley not pictured.) Glass jar was brown sugar. Big pig sticker to stab it some 1000 times. Tenderize it a lil and get some holes for the rub to penetrate. Ill let it sit in the fridge till Friday night or Saturday morning. Still throwing that around based on rain this weekend. Its going on either way but i dont wanna fight temps if i dont have to. Gonna use apple wood my buddy gave me and coal.
Apple wood was cut with a MS390:D
Hope it dont cook to slow:risas3:IMG_8080.JPGIMG_8081.JPGIMG_8082.JPGIMG_8083.JPGIMG_8084.JPG

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10.6 lb brisket. Made a rub concockted of what was in the cabinet. Aint gonna lie its just hillbilly mash of what i use already. Mix um altogether and its got to be good x4 rite?;) Heres what i used for seasonings (plus some garlic salt and parsley not pictured.) Glass jar was brown sugar. Big pig sticker to stab it some 1000 times. Tenderize it a lil and get some holes for the rub to penetrate. Ill let it sit in the fridge till Friday night or Saturday morning. Still throwing that around based on rain this weekend. Its going on either way but i dont wanna fight temps if i dont have to. Gonna use apple wood my buddy gave me and coal.
Apple wood was cut with a MS390:D
Hope it dont cook to slow:risas3:View attachment 232202View attachment 232203View attachment 232204View attachment 232205View attachment 232206
how do you use coal to cook with i have never cooked with it just wandering?

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
how do you use coal to cook with i have never cooked with it just wandering?
Just as u would use wood. Its really just a heat source. Its easier for me to control heat with the coal and then i use the wood on top for smoke. After a good bed of coals is established i can switch to just wood for quite some time.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worked out to be the perfect amount of rub that got thrown and mixed in the bag. Sun shines on a dogs azz every once in a while. Covered with foil and thrown in fridge. Now we wait boys! View attachment 232207View attachment 232208

You have a "flat". The thin end of a whole brisket. Not that it won't be tasty, for the plan you have laid out looks very mouth-watering. Be sure you post up some progress and after pics.
Thanks for posting.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have a "flat". The thin end of a whole brisket. Not that it won't be tasty, for the plan you have laid out looks very mouth-watering. Be sure you post up some progress and after pics.
Thanks for posting.
Will do! Tell me about this "flat"..... should i cook a different way? More heat less heat?
Last time we tried to hold at 200 the whole time and it took forever. This time im gonna go for 225-250 and get her hot at the end. It was good but not the fall apart tender. The troops wer hungry so we pulled it. Wanna perfect the brisket so any help is welcome!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do! Tell me about this "flat"..... should i cook a different way? More heat less heat?
Last time we tried to hold at 200 the whole time and it took forever. This time im gonna go for 225-250 and get her hot at the end. It was good but not the fall apart tender. The troops wer hungry so we pulled it. Wanna perfect the brisket so any help is welcome!

You won't be hurt elevating the temperature to what you stated. My advice is to wrap it after you get the outside reasonably looking as you like. As far as smoke you will need several hours to get the smoke into it and get your outside looking like you desire, then I would double foil wrap it to finish. In so doing you could also cheat and pop it into the oven for the last hour. I like my brisket to reach around 200 degrees, then I let it rest in a cooler (not to keep it cool) but actually to allow it to rest in the heat. Seeing you have only the flat (not the larger point also) it should not take as long to cook. Use your temperature probe to check the internal temperature.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shes out of the fridge resting. Gonna get coals started and go from there. Real bad weather for tomorrow is scheduled. 2" rain, hail, and possibly tornados. I wanna eat a good last meal so its going on tonite:DIMG_8133.JPG

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hillbilly rain cap in place! Check!
Cherry wood soaking! Check! ( I know i said i was gonna use apple but cherry is just too damn good!!!)
Smoke rollin! Check!
Helper! Check!
About another 15 min and meat will be ready. Heard u wanna not put it on cold rite out of the fridge. So thats what im doing. IMG_8134.JPGIMG_8135.JPGIMG_8136.JPGimage.jpg

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg IMG_8138.JPG 5 hrs in. Barkin' up nice! Two 1/2hr power naps, 2 clutch cover/ brake rebuilds and Doigie is still hangin with me! Dont let him fool u, he does it for the venison sausage:D

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so after 12 hrs i pulled it. Off at 1pm. For got to say i put it in a tin foil pan covered after 9 hrs. First 3 hrs was fat cap up at about 300. Next 6 hrs was fat cap down at about 200-250. Last 3 hrs fat cap down in pan. Internal temp was about 215 at time of pullin. Of course the the cook had to try a piece:D i went to cut a end chunk off with my dull Buck knife and the piece just peeled off:campeon: i hope its all like that. We have it resting in the oven till dinner time( just on warm) ill give ya a sneek peek of lunch:p some cheddar brats that wer feeling left out so they got a lil cherry smoke too! Dinner pics to come! Heres ur teaserIMG_8139.JPG

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so this is my second brisket ive ever done. First one was good but just that. This dude is amazing! I wish i could share! Pretty proud of my cooking:D fall apart tender and the hillbilly seasoning mix is perfect. Even the kids r piggin' on it. They can be picky so that is a win to me.IMG_8140.JPGIMG_8141.JPGIMG_8142.JPG

Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
93f16274591cd4f1e86839fc6eb66098.jpg

Just came off a 10 hour smoke in the pellet smoker. 9 lb shoulder. Dry rubbed with *B-S....

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag