Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol, I know

I’ve never done brisket either. My buddy usually does em for 13 hrs. Can’t remember temp though
I’ve heard everything from 9 to 24. The one at 24 was done by someone who knows exactly what he was doing and it’s the best I’ve ever had. It wasn’t dried out and you could cut it with a fork

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brisket virgin.
Any help?
MES 40

I’m thinking 24 hours at 200*

View attachment 222825

Yours looks like a flat (not a whole brisket). I don't think you're going to need 20 hours of cook time.
As has been advised the internal temp is what you need to be aware of. It may be you have an aversion to
wrapping (some guys do). I whole-heartedly recommend it myself. I use foil -- some don't but I've never
had a problem or complaint over the meat at the table. Get our outside looking nice (the visual) then wrap it.
Others use different formulas. This works for me. My 2 pennies

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yours looks like a flat (not a whole brisket). I don't think you're going to need 20 hours of cook time.
As has been advised the internal temp is what you need to be aware of. It may be you have an aversion to
wrapping (some guys do). I whole-heartedly recommend it myself. I use foil -- some don't but I've never
had a problem or complaint over the meat at the table. Get our outside looking nice (the visual) then wrap it.
Others use different formulas. This works for me. My 2 pennies
I am a believer in foil as well. I put it on about five hours ago and I figure when I go inside tonight at about midnight I will wrap it up and take a peek in the morning.

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've done brisket a hundred different ways... everything from 225 to 350º+ and pulled at temps from 180 to 220 internal. BGE, Kettles, WSMs, offsets, even a pellet once(shudder)...wrapped, unwrapped, foil, butcher paper, etc etc etc...

I've come to these conclusions.

Wrap it in butcher paper once it gets in the 160ish degree range. I like the bark better with the butcher paper over foil, but both work. Bark should be formed and set by then, this will quicken the cook and make it tender faster and reduce the labor necessary to keep the outside from burning.

The temp you cook at pretty much doesn't matter. I've been able to produce quality, tender, juicy briskets at all temps and times of cooks.

The specific temperature you pull the meat at doesn't matter(for the most part). You want to pull the meat when the probe slides in like 'warm butter'. I usually start probing at 185ish(depends on how the brisket has cooked and is feeling) and I probe every 5 degrees until it probes like warm butter and then I remove it and let it sit wrapped in a cooler till it's time to eat. Let the meat tell you when it's done, they're all different. You don't get to tell it when it's done because it's at some specific arbitrary temperature. Remember, we're not trying to cook to a 'doneness' like steak. We're trying to cook to a tenderness. You can't tell tender by a temperature.

You get the best taste by using real sticks of really dry wood and burning a clean fire, the less smoke you see the better. Manage the size of your fire to manage the temp in your smoker and let the fire get as much o2 as it can handle. Choking down the intakes and starving the fire of oxygen is going to be creating smoke and is a dirty fire, that's not ideal. Will taste like smoke, but bitter and not good.

Also, spring for the USDA Prime if you can, the more fat the more forgiving.

Now, I generally cook briskets in the 250 range and wrap them at 160 internal or whenever the bark is set and hard then crank it up to 300-325 to finish. I pull them when they probe tender. Salt and pepper only.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done brisket a hundred different ways... everything from 225 to 350º+ and pulled at temps from 180 to 220 internal. BGE, Kettles, WSMs, offsets, even a pellet once(shudder)...wrapped, unwrapped, foil, butcher paper, etc etc etc...

Wrap it in butcher paper once it gets in the 160ish degree range. I like the bark better with the butcher paper over foil, but both work. Bark should be formed and set by then, this will quicken the cook and make it tender faster and reduce the labor necessary to keep the outside from burning.

The temp you cook at pretty much doesn't matter. I've been able to produce quality, tender, juicy briskets at all temps and times of cooks.

The specific temperature you pull the meat at doesn't matter(for the most part). You want to pull the meat when the probe slides in like 'warm butter'. I usually start probing at 185ish(depends on how the brisket has cooked and is feeling) and I probe every 5 degrees until it probes like warm butter and then I remove it and let it sit wrapped in a cooler till it's time to eat. Let the meat tell you when it's done, they're all different. You don't get to tell it when it's done because it's at some specific arbitrary temperature. Remember, we're not trying to cook to a 'doneness' like steak. We're trying to cook to a tenderness. You can't tell tender by a temperature.

You get the best taste by using real sticks of really dry wood and burning a clean fire, the less smoke you see the better. Manage the size of your fire to manage the temp in your smoker and let the fire get as much o2 as it can handle. Choking down the intakes and starving the fire of oxygen is going to be creating smoke and is a dirty fire, that's not ideal. Will taste like smoke, but bitter and not good.

Now, I generally cook briskets in the 250 range and wrap them at 160 internal or whenever the bark is set and hard then crank it up to 300-325 to finish. I pull them when they probe tender. Salt and pepper only.
I just use a remote probe, put it in to start and watch temp at anytime.
Fully agree at wrapping at 150-160, they hit the wall and start to “sweat”. Temp somtimes even goes down.
This is all with pork shoulder mind you.

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just use a remote probe, put it in to start and watch temp at anytime.
Fully agree at wrapping at 150-160, they hit the wall and start to “sweat”. Temp somtimes even goes down.
This is all with pork shoulder mind you.
I do the same with a remote probe. But to check for tenderness I still use an instant read....not for the temp part of it, but to check for tenderness.

Pork butt doesn't really matter nearly as much as brisket. Pork over 200 will be pull apart tender every single time. Brisket, not so much.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Charlie do you use it for Taco's or Nacho's? My family likes that the best when I smoke a butt. I really like chili also using the pulled pork.

So far we have not, But I will mention it to mama. As we have never had Tacos and Nacho's
much before.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

...this!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did the brisket turn out? I absolutely love doing burnt ends with the point, burnt ends in my opinion are the epitome of beef candy.

Curious myself. Just so you guys know I've never been hyped up about "bark" (my wife on the other hand loves it). But many guys who cook brisket love bark.
I do love a good moist, smoked brisket. I love a good moist Boston butt and I love ribs. The field is large on preferences on these things. But I enjoy hearing and learning
from you guys. Hope your weekend went well.

EchoRomeoCharlie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Curious myself. Just so you guys know I've never been hyped up about "bark" (my wife on the other hand loves it). But many guys who cook brisket love bark.
I do love a good moist, smoked brisket. I love a good moist Boston butt and I love ribs. The field is large on preferences on these things. But I enjoy hearing and learning
from you guys. Hope your weekend went well.

The bark is the best part, IMO. The bark is the culmination of your rub, type of wood used, and your ability to manage the fire correctly. The moist tender inside is just picking a brisket with enough intramuscular fat and pulling it off when it's tender. What we perceive as 'moisture' is really fat. You can't boil off fat. IMO, quality bark is more difficult to achieve than moist and tender brisket.

My favorite part of cutting a brisket is the tip of the flat. It always has the highest bark/inside ratio and is the smokiest part of the brisket. I always eat that as I cut it off. Cooks cut.

EDIT: Because 'most higest' isn't proper English lol

Last edited:

bowtechmadman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like a little bark more so on pork then on brisket. Cut that point up into 1" cubes, throw it in a metal tray w/ some sauce and back on the smoker for another hour or two and to me nothing beats it.