Whats on the Grill or Smoker?

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
4:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bark is the best part, IMO. The bark is the culmination of your rub, type of wood used, and your ability to manage the fire correctly. The moist tender inside is just picking a brisket with enough intramuscular fat and pulling it off when it's tender. What we perceive as 'moisture' is really fat. You can't boil off fat. IMO, quality bark is more difficult to achieve than moist and tender brisket.

My favorite part of cutting a brisket is the tip of the flat. It always has the highest bark/inside ratio and is the smokiest part of the brisket. I always eat that as I cut it off. Cooks cut.

EDIT: Because 'most higest' isn't proper English lol

I can appreciate all your comments.
When learning to cook BBQ here in the south -- I learned from guys who put nothing on the meat. We shoveled coals all night in a pig cooker. As I progressed I use rubs now and various methods for my cooks.
In various parts of the country the likes and dislikes are different. I am not saying any of it is wrong. I enjoy learning. Thanks for posting.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pork steaks and beans on the Traeger.
The more I use this grill, the more I like it.
image.jpeg

Boneless skinless Chicken breasts brined with Rosemary, Thyme, Basil and a little Molasses, on the Weber. After setting the grill marks, I use a second grill, set on bricks, to allow me to run the grill with direct heat at 400* and not burn the Chicken.
Half way through-
image.jpeg

Ready for the table.
image.jpeg

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 229097

Boneless skinless Chicken breasts brined with Rosemary, Thyme, Basil and a little Molasses, on the Weber. After setting the grill marks, I use a second grill, set on bricks, to allow me to run the grill with direct heat at 400* and not burn the Chicken.
Half way through-
View attachment 229102

Ready for the table.
View attachment 229105

Sweet, Love the grill! Pork steaks, do you mean ham steaks?

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet, Love the grill! Pork steaks, do you mean ham steaks?
Those are made by slicing a pork butt into steaks and either grilling or smoking.
They're generally sliced anywhere from 1/2" to 1 1/4" thick. I find 3/4"-1" about right.
They're quite common is some parts of the country and unheard of in others.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Those are made by slicing a pork butt into steaks and either grilling or smoking.
They're generally sliced anywhere from 1/2" to 1 1/4" thick. I find 3/4"-1" about right.

Maybe ham steaks! I don't salt them down anymore, We never done them that way back then. As you know the only thing that I cure anymore is sides, which I am still not able to get anymore, ( I am still trying ) I only want to buy the sides for curing for bacon.101_0790.JPG

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

As I see it you have won!!

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pork steaks are a lil unknown gem that @StuntCockWelder turned me on to. They r pretty cheap and u wont get a more delicious piece of meat! @srb08 u nailed it with thickness. 3/4-1" is perfect. Most time i will marinate a pork loin before smoking but i like the steaks just grilled with a lil shake of ur favorite seasoning.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 229097

Half way through-
View attachment 229102

Ready for the table.
View attachment 229105

Now I am hungry again :D;)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Breaking out a new cylinder smoker pretty soon here.

The foodie in me needs flavor this spring. Cherry, white oak sap wood and hickory will dominate the dishes. Must start fishing again... and setting crunchy critter traps.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done brisket a hundred different ways... everything from 225 to 350º+ and pulled at temps from 180 to 220 internal. BGE, Kettles, WSMs, offsets, even a pellet once(shudder)...wrapped, unwrapped, foil, butcher paper, etc etc etc...

I've come to these conclusions.

Wrap it in butcher paper once it gets in the 160ish degree range. I like the bark better with the butcher paper over foil, but both work. Bark should be formed and set by then, this will quicken the cook and make it tender faster and reduce the labor necessary to keep the outside from burning.

The temp you cook at pretty much doesn't matter. I've been able to produce quality, tender, juicy briskets at all temps and times of cooks.

The specific temperature you pull the meat at doesn't matter(for the most part). You want to pull the meat when the probe slides in like 'warm butter'. I usually start probing at 185ish(depends on how the brisket has cooked and is feeling) and I probe every 5 degrees until it probes like warm butter and then I remove it and let it sit wrapped in a cooler till it's time to eat. Let the meat tell you when it's done, they're all different. You don't get to tell it when it's done because it's at some specific arbitrary temperature. Remember, we're not trying to cook to a 'doneness' like steak. We're trying to cook to a tenderness. You can't tell tender by a temperature.

You get the best taste by using real sticks of really dry wood and burning a clean fire, the less smoke you see the better. Manage the size of your fire to manage the temp in your smoker and let the fire get as much o2 as it can handle. Choking down the intakes and starving the fire of oxygen is going to be creating smoke and is a dirty fire, that's not ideal. Will taste like smoke, but bitter and not good.

Also, spring for the USDA Prime if you can, the more fat the more forgiving.

Now, I generally cook briskets in the 250 range and wrap them at 160 internal or whenever the bark is set and hard then crank it up to 300-325 to finish. I pull them when they probe tender. Salt and pepper only.
Well put. Especially about having clean smoke and not depriving the fire of oxygen. I’ve done numerous KCBS events and thoroughly enjoyed it. That was 10 years ago tho. Tryon NC was one of the top events on the circuit. Typically 90-110 teams competing from all over. Some from well over a thousand miles away. Tough to place there. I lost fifth place brisket one year by .002 of a point. No BS.

Roger was always in the spot next to me. He placed consistently in brisket. I had never seen anyone cook brisket like him before. He’d put some serious heat to it. 450-500 til he got the internal temp up and then slow it down. His total cook time was probably 7 hrs.

Time and temp. Each piece of meat will “give it up” at a different temp. I’ve cooked two butts side by side, rotated them during the cook, they both temped out the same. One fell apart. One was no where near giving it up. The bone wouldn’t even release. Lol. Placed third in pork that year. Saved the other one and made BBQ hash with it.