What oil is best? and what ratio?

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
clipper lube is a great idea. that is exactly what im going to use the rest of mine for

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's worried about having a special mix for one saw and forgetting to use that blend. I'm of the mind the while fleet should be hp2, dominator, or h1r at 40:1. Stock or ported.

HP2 at 40:1 is what everything runs here. Even my 4 stroke string trimmer runs it....and it's not the stihl that actually needs pre mix, it's a husky 324L 4 stroke trimmer with oil in the crankcase. Been running it on 40:1 for 4 years now. Great trimmer btw, sounds like a little motocross bike and it revs up just as fast as a MX bike too.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HP2 at 40:1 is what everything runs here. Even my 4 stroke string trimmer runs it....and it's not the stihl that actually needs pre mix, it's a husky 324L 4 stroke trimmer with oil in the crankcase. Been running it on 40:1 for 4 years now. Great trimmer btw, sounds like a little motocross bike and it revs up just as fast as a MX bike too.
After what I saw at and learned at the gtg, red armor too. All I run is hp2 up till now. My lawn mower gets it lol. Rather foul a plug than have a straight gas can laying around.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After what I saw at and learned at the gtg, red armor too. All I run is hp2 up till now. My lawn mower gets it lol. Rather foul a plug than have a straight gas can laying around.
FWIW, I’ve never fouled a plug in any of my saws - many of my saws have run the same plug for years. I have changed them out of spite before, but I have also seen a couple fouled on other peoples/customer saws that I’ve worked on. After working in a saw shop for 11 years, I can say IME’s that fouled plugs are few and far between on chainsaws - you really gotta try to get them that dirty.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, I’ve never fouled a plug in any of my saws - many of my saws have run the same plug for years. I have changed them out of spite before, but I have also seen a couple fouled on other peoples/customer saws that I’ve worked on. After working in a saw shop for 11 years, I can say IME’s that fouled plugs are few and far between on chainsaws - you really gotta try to get them that dirty.
I was referring to my lawn mower lol. However, I haven't even fouled that yet with mix fuel.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was referring to my lawn mower lol. However, I haven't even fouled that yet with mix fuel.
There was an OPE shop here that sent every new piece of equipment out the door with Opti2 at 70:1; including lawn mowers, zero turns, generators, etc

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was an OPE shop here that sent every new piece of equipment out the door with Opti2 at 70:1; including lawn mowers, zero turns, generators, etc
I'm becoming a believer! I mean why not lube everything. It's gotta be better for the valve seats etc. Valve guides, probably the seals too. I mean the crank seals on these saws and such hold up longer than they seemingly should.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is Opti 2 any good? I remember seeing packets of it whenever I went to the lawnmower shop as a kid. They still sell it but I never seen anyone run it.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm becoming a believer! I mean why not lube everything. It's gotta be better for the valve seats etc. Valve guides, probably the seals too. I mean the crank seals on these saws and such hold up longer than they seemingly should.
I agree, I dump any old mix into the my old Honda splitter motor. Doesn’t smoke so I doubt it’s leaving much behind.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is Opti 2 any good? I remember seeing packets of it whenever I went to the lawnmower shop as a kid. They still sell it but I never seen anyone run it.
Not sure. Some people swear by it. I have never heard anything bad about it, but I don’t know anybody that uses it

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s probably fine. Sounds like a cult, but I run Red Armor so I’m all set on kool aid.
Opti2 has been discussed in this thread, not very much though. I think it is a quality oil, like most of the oils discussed on here. I would not hesitate to use it, but not at the recommended ratio. Here is a post from the past.

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.33.48 AM.png

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I must have mixed mineral 4-stroke engine oil at ratios beyond 25:1 in my early years of chainsaw use.
All I remember, if I wasn't surounded in a white cloud of smoke I'd ad more oil directly into the fuel tank.
Those saws of old didn't seem to mind, on the contrary.
I ran my dads Sachs-Dolmar 105.
I had no clue what I was doing regarding chain sharpening, cutting techniques, nor maintenance - as long as the engine ran and the chain spun I called it good.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Opti2 has been discussed in this thread, not very much though. I think it is a quality oil, like most of the oils discussed on here. I would not hesitate to use it, but not at the recommended ratio. Here is a post from the past.

View attachment 379225
It was lean tested and did alright.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The can said Pre- diluted