What oil is best? and what ratio?

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could do the same thing with acoustic emissions if you could filter the exhaust frequencies out effectively .
I could see it potentially saving the top end, but it seems like the bottom end would already be on the path to death by the time the normalized signature deviation was significant enough.

Would be interesting to see implemented though
I could see it potentially saving the top end, but it seems like the bottom end would already be on the path to death by the time the normalized signature deviation was significant enough.

Would be interesting to see implemented though.
The super lean charge feeds the bottom end bearings first, how would it not save the crank way before the top end?

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How come I suddenly can't stop looking at this thread? Also, how come I still have zero desire to switch from Dolmar/100% Dino juice at 1:40?

Fúckin' explain that...

Oil threads are the slow motion train wreck that no one can look away from yet no one cares about

Last edited:

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The super lean charge feeds the bottom end bearings first, how would it not save the crank way before the top end?

Because by the time the vibration deviation is significant enough to detect, the false brinelling in the bearings is already beyond hope?

This is really a hypothetical argument about how precise a deviation the accelerometer can detect and alert on. Get it implemented in a saw and let's see it in action. :-)

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could do the same thing with acoustic emissions if you could filter the exhaust frequencies out effectively .
Vibration doesn’t need to filter anything out, which is the entire point of my post. Accelerometers are super cheap, cheaper than an OEM top end kit. It needs a critical band alarm and nothing else. The programming for vibration monitoring is 100 times simpler than the open loop solenoid tuning of a carburetor.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that anything like a bakers dozen.
Probably ten at best, the redcoats used to throw Dutch in a term as derogatory thing so I just think it’s funny.

I’m Dutch as a pair of wooden clogs so it’s all good fun.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because by the time the vibration deviation is significant enough to detect, the false brinelling in the bearings is already beyond hope?

This is really a hypothetical argument about how precise a deviation the accelerometer can detect and alert on. Get it implemented in a saw and let's see it in action.
Deviation isn’t a measure of condition of rolling element bearings.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deviation isn’t a measure of condition of rolling element bearings.

If you're talking about the signature of the bearing vibration, then yes deviation from that signature is exactly what you're looking for.

I'm not here to fight about your hypothetical device. It's an interesting idea. Get it implemented so we can see it in action.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let's get this thread back on topic... I've been running the new RedMax MaxPro at 48:1.

I have nothing to report yet except that it smells good, which is the only thing that really matters in 2 stroke oil.
I’m pretty sure it’s the same as the newish husky xp oil. I bought a few gallons when it was 40 bucks on Amazon, no complaints and I like how you can see the color change in the mix.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How come I suddenly can't stop looking at this thread? Also, how come I still have zero desire to switch from Dolmar/100% Dino juice at 1:40?

Fúckin' explain that...
If you're talking about the signature of the bearing vibration, then yes deviation from that signature is exactly what you're looking for.

I'm done talking about your hypothetical device. It's an interesting idea. Get it implemented so we can see it in action.
Deviation isn’t a term in the Vibration world, yes please stop talking, as it’s making my head hurt. Increase in amplitude of a published defect frequency is how rolling element bearing defects are classified.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what 50:1 does to a 562 in 300 hours. The same saw now has over 1000 hours on it with new bearings using 32:1.

Dated or not, I’ll keep on recommending it based on my findings, not what I read in a brochure

View attachment 375373
This defect was evident with an accelerometer by hour 50. Yet it hammered away another 250 hours. Perspective is something here for sure, 250 hours on a saw is? 250 hours on something in continuous service is less than 11 days.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This defect was evident with an accelerometer by hour 50. Yet it hammered away another 250 hours. Perspective is something here for sure, 250 hours on a saw is? 250 hours on something in continuous service is less than 11 days.
Agreed. (Un)fortunately it’s 25 years in the hands of someone cutting his yearly supply of firewood. What works well enough for him isn’t so great in a work setting

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that was rude. I thought we were having a civilized discussion. Ok, I know where you stand.
Deviation isn’t a term in the Vibration world, yes please stop talking, as it’s making my head hurt. Increase in amplitude of a published defect frequency is how rolling element bearing defects are classified.
So now that we have established that, please continue.