What oil is best? and what ratio?

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are, you chose to cherry pick something I posted to bolster your opinion.

No, it stopped being civilized when you decided to insult me. I'm afraid I'm not following your excuse for your rudeness, but that's ok. Carry on. You've made it clear how you prefer to behave.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m pretty sure it’s the same as the newish husky xp oil. I bought a few gallons when it was 40 bucks on Amazon, no complaints and I like how you can see the color change in the mix.

It's made by Husky according the JASO documentation, so maybe it's the same? I don't really know. So far, so good.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, it stopped being civilized when you decided to insult me. I'm afraid I'm not following your excuse for your rudeness, but that's ok. Carry on. You've made it clear how you prefer to behave.
Facts and data often hurt people’s feelings, it usually wrecks their opinions.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be interested in where this came from as it does not sound logical to me .
Ash less oil is a EPA requirement for 2 stroke marine engines , particularly when used on inland waterways down here .

As ash is an oxide and as most oxides are refractory in nature I can not see how they would materially change the cooling of an engine.
I assume we have all sat around a campfire or two and noticed when the logs get a white ash layer on top of them the fire is noticeably cooler and needs a stir up or some more fuel .
Also in the morning the remaining charcoals are fairly cold but the ash is still quite hot and it retains this heat because it is refractory so it transfers heat into the air very very slowly the same as it adsorbs heat from the fire very very slowly .

On top of that, there is a very tiny amount of ash produced because there is a very tiny amount of ash creating compounds in 2 stroke oils
From memory ( so please correct me if this is wrong ) low ash generates 1% to 5% ash and no ash is less than 1% ( those definations were always being shifted back when I was involved in this stuff and way back then there was no legal defination , but that was quite a while ago ( I am 70 and last worked on oils better than 40 years ago ).
So in a big chainsaw with a 100cc engine with oil ratio of 50:1 running very rich ( for easy calculations ) on an air fuel ratio of 10:1 there would be 0.2ml of oil in each power cycle if we ignore what condenses in the crankcase and coats bearings to make things easier .
If we make it a high ash oil @ 10% ash ( for ease of mental maths ) then that 0.2ml of oil would produce 0.02ml of ash.
To visualise this the head of a plain drawing pin is around 0.1ml
Now while it is true that the burning of the compounds to create ash does take heat out of the burning charge, the actual amount of heat is miniscule compared to the heat passed through the piston rings into the bore which in itself is a small proportion of the heat that is passed out the exhaust.
The bulk of ash would have come from the Stoddard Solvent and calcium .
While we could go through the heat balance calculations , I have no idea what is in fuel now days so they would be meaningless.
But if you are relying on the ash to carry away heat to prevent it from overheating then you are running well over the design limits of that engine
2 and 4 stroke Natural Gas engines run low/no ash oil for emissions reasons. By nature it’s detrimental to the 4 strokes in valve stem/seat/guide wear, but the selective catalysts in both require it.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Well that was rude. I thought we were having a civilized discussion. Ok, I know where you stand.
You can’t passive aggressively poke and expect any other result. You can both go shut your dicks in the door. This will be the only warning.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can’t passive aggressively poke and expect any other result. You can both go shut your dicks in the door. This will be the only warning.

Understood, but I literally said nothing. For no reason he told me to stop talking because it made his head hurt. It was just unprompted rudeness. 'nuff said.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let's get this thread back on topic... I've been running the new RedMax MaxPro at 48:1.

I have nothing to report yet except that it smells good, which is the only thing that really matters in 2 stroke oil.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same as the newish husky xp oil. I bought a few gallons when it was 40 bucks on Amazon, no complaints and I like how you can see the color change in the mix.
The Redmax oil is blended and bottled by Lubetech in Minnesota.
Look at this video.
Here's a screen grab from that video showing Lubetech samples.
Screenshot_20230426_223145_Brave.jpg
Lubetech also blends and bottles the VP syn 2 Stroke oil and Can-Am/Bombardier oils.

Husky XP+ is still a Phillips 66 Spectrum product.
Screenshot_20230426_223602_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Understood, but I literally said nothing. For no reason he told me to stop talking because it made his head hurt. It was just unprompted rudeness. 'nuff said.
It takes two to tango and you got passive aggressive before he got rude. I don’t need a reading comprehension lesson. Capiche?

Just so you know there are people who do what he’s talking about for a living. When you don’t understand something you may want to close your mouth and open your ears instead of getting huffy. Just sayin🤷🏼‍♂️

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last night I thought about some of the things I read in this thread about vibration sensors and stuff.

Wouldn't the chain in the wood cause the sensor to be unable to determine whether or not the vibration was from the bearing, or the cut?

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last night I thought about some of the things I read in this thread about vibration sensors and stuff.

Wouldn't the chain in the wood cause the sensor to be unable to determine whether or not the vibration was from the bearing, or the cut?
The chain will have its own frequency and fault signatures, which occur at a different frequency than the main bearings themselves. In vibration bands can be applied to ignore or look at certain frequencies. The chain/cutters would be one you would want to ignore.