What oil is best? and what ratio?

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You people really should take into account that any high quality/brand manufacturer of 2-stroke OPE must comply to environmental regulations, hence the stated 50:1 & 100:1 mix ratios.
This does not guarantee longevity of the equipment, rather barely a lifespan past the warranty - if the user is lucky!

50:1 is the thinnest I'd go no matter what the label on a 2-stroke oil bottle states.
I always try to mix 25ml of "50:1" oil into 1 liter or less of pump fuel.
This practice served me well so far.

I will make it up to the environment and mother nature by diligent recycling of trash!
Emission Compliance Period: 300 Hours. On the foot pad of my Stihl.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Takes more energy and makes more pollution to produce a new chainsaw than it does to keep an old one running. If they really wanted to save the planet and cut pollution they would figure out how to make planned obsolescence obsolete and conserve resources. I can see California having a Cash-4-Clunkers program for old gas powered ope and get a coupon for a carbon credit happy meal when you trade them in for new shiny battery powered equipment that last a fraction as long as gas powered. But at the end of the day, the carbon they really want to reduce is US. "They" own the planet don't ya know and "you're" just a useless eater breathing up all "their" fresh air and using up all "their" resources.
You will use 50:1 and you will like it until its your time to be turned into soylent green, Serf!
ok…now tell us how you really feel. 😆

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quality gas does make a huge difference, additive packages are important but so is the quality of the trucks and tanks that the fuel is stored in. Some trucks are old and crusty and some tanks are old and sweaty. Buy from the stations that sell a lot and have separate nozzles for e-0 and e-10.

A very close friend of mine worked for bp and castrol testing oil and fuel mixtures. I used to get 5 gallon “test” buckets of full synthetic for free lol. In the long run gas quality makes a difference. Top Tier gas is a marketing term but it does give a better chance of getting quality gas. Cheap gas can and usually will lead to deposits.

Also 40-1 club for life, 50-1 is for poors and hippies.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what 50:1 does to a 562 in 300 hours. The same saw now has over 1000 hours on it with new bearings using 32:1.

Dated or not, I’ll keep on recommending it based on my findings, not what I read in a brochure

Thank you for your post.
I am yet to see a saw where the cage has collapsed and broken up.
Nearly all of the cage failures I have been involved with were caused by excessive lateral forces or insufficient running clearances with deep groove ball bearings and labouring engines with rollers .
In fact I would like to get one in my hands for a full & proper investigation as to cause.
FWIW my original training was in metallurgy and for a few years I did a lot of failure investigations sub contract to the police forensic department where I quickly learned the most obvious reason for failure was rarely the actual cause .

Now I deal with home owners , landscapers & builders , not full time loggers who run saws for hours on end.
I will assume that those photos are of one of your own saws where the only variable factor was the oil:fuel ratio and the engine was running within the designed speeds for that particular bearing and it was a standard saw and not one with stuffed crankcases fully ported & tuned exhausts running both faster and under much more load than the standard engine.
If that be the case then I will accept what you are posting as true with insufficient oil as the probable cause .
The work I have done with lubrication is of course lab work and those tests are not real life situations in fact they are far from it and are used for comparing the properties from one oil blend to another oil blend , not their actual properties during use as obviously running engines to destruction is way too expensive to do in the real world.
So no I am not a face book / brouchure / lable / TV add expert .
I am ( or was ) a scientist and thus have a scientists approach - facts are nothing more than theories yet to be proven wrong -.
So when what I believe to be true is proven to be wrong then my mind changes to accept the newer facts till they are proven wrong.
The important word is proven so at this point my opinion on oil:fuel ratios is challenged

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for your post.
Nearly all of the cage failures I have been involved with were caused by excessive lateral forces or insufficient running clearances with deep groove ball bearings and labouring engines with rollers .
In fact I would like to get one in my hands for a full & proper investigation as to cause.
FWIW my original training was in metallurgy and for a few years I did a lot of failure investigations sub contract to the police forensic department where I quickly learned the most obvious reason for failure was rarely the actual cause .

Now I deal with home owners , landscapers & builders , not full time loggers who run saws for hours on end.
I will assume that those photos are of one of your own saws where the only variable factor was the oil:fuel ratio and the engine was running within the designed speeds for that particular bearing and it was a standard saw and not one with stuffed crankcases fully ported & tuned exhausts running both faster and under much more load than the standard engine.
If that be the case then I will accept what you are posting as true with insufficient oil as the probable cause .
The work I have done with lubrication is of course lab work and those tests are not real life situations in fact they are far from it and are used for comparing the properties from one oil blend to another oil blend , not their actual properties during use as obviously running engines to destruction is way too expensive to do in the real world.
I am ( or was ) a scientist and thus have a scientists approach - facts are nothing more than theories yet to be proven wrong -.
So when what I believe to be true is proven to be wrong then my mind changes to accept the newer facts till they are proven wrong.
The important word is proven so at this point my opinion on oil:fuel ratios is challenged
Who used to decipher Kenny’s posts? You have been summonsed…

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok…now tell us how you really feel. 😆
But what he says is the plain truth.
Three levels of pollution
1) embedded = everything that is made till the saw gets to your door
2) usage = what comes out the exhaust and drips off the chain bar
3) disposal = what is generated when the saw is recycled or sent to landfill
1 + 3 is so massively larger than 2 to make 2 totally insignificant, yet 2 is all that is worried about
It generates almost the same amount of embedded pollution to make a $ 100 single use throw away saw as it does to make a $ 1000 use forever saw and of course it conserves the finite resources of the planet .
However that does not suit Husqvarna, Stihl, MTD, etc,etc,etc.
A simple fact hat no EPA worldwide seems to care about

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for your post.

The saw is a 562xp. Belongs to a tree service friend of mine. Stuffers and autotune carb. It was brought to me for a rebuild and was ported during the rebuild. So the last 700 hours were after port work. It was brought to the dealer originally with 300ish hours. Brought back to the dealer a couple weeks ago for running issues. Determined it was due to using winter fuel when it was 80°. Reflashed and better fuel and it was good to go

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But what he says is the plain truth.
Three levels of pollution
1) embedded = everything that is made till the saw gets to your door
2) usage = what comes out the exhaust and drips off the chain bar
3) disposal = what is generated when the saw is recycled or sent to landfill
1 + 3 is so massively larger than 2 to make 2 totally insignificant, yet 2 is all that is worried about
It generates almost the same amount of embedded pollution to make a $ 100 single use throw away saw as it does to make a $ 1000 use forever saw and of course it conserves the finite resources of the planet .
However that does not suit Husqvarna, Stihl, MTD, etc,etc,etc.
A simple fact hat no EPA worldwide seems to care about
Doesn’t fit their agenda. They need to update their rule book to justify their continued existence

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That post is nowhere near Kennyesque, lol...

Definitely not Kennyesque.

He's basically saying people's different uses mean different operating conditions for each use, and the lab test environment used by the manufacturer can only do so much to replicate all of them. i.e. no lab can perfectly replicate the real world.

He takes the lab results as his baseline "truth" until the real world experience proves otherwise.

That's pretty good advice really.

But that's also why the oil wars continue. Because two people use different oils at different ratios in different conditions, and both have good results. So not realizing that's it's the operating conditions that significantly contribute to the difference, they argue about the oils and ratios, because each thinks the other has to be wrong! They can't both be right, can they? Well... actually they can.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He's basically saying people's different uses mean different operating conditions for each use, and the lab test environment used by the manufacturer can only do so much to replicate all of them. i.e. no lab can perfectly replicate the real world.

He takes the lab results as his baseline "truth" until the real world experience proves otherwise.

But that's also why the oil wars continue. Because two people use different oils at different ratios in different conditions, and both have good results. So not realizing that's it's the operating conditions that significantly contribute to the difference, they argue about the oils and ratios, because each thinks the other has to be wrong! They can't both be right, can they? Well... actually they can.
I agree with what you said. But… I ask almost every owner of every saw that comes in my shop what oil they use and how much of it. Over time, without knowing how they operate their saws, I’ve developed opinions on what works and what doesn’t look like it’s going to work for very long..

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well said.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with what you said. But… I ask almost every owner of every saw that comes in my shop what oil they use and how much of it. Over time, without knowing how they operate their saws, I’ve developed opinions on what works and what doesn’t look like it’s going to work for very long..

That's a good point Kevin. There's certainly a median value on the "curve" of too little oil vs too much oil when averaged across all uses (mild to extreme) and across all oil types (barely effective oil to exceptionally good oil).

And someone like yourself is in a good position to be able to observe firsthand what most of us can only speculate on.