Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lucas products are waaaayyy overpriced for what they are.
Which is why I recently became an Amsoil dealer.
Randy, I have seen the large rod bearing fail on 2 Asian big bore saws running Stihl oil at 50:1. Had the owner switch to Amsoil at 40:1 and his third saw has far outlasted the other two.

Also, (correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe you generally recommend a good oil at 40:1 in all your ported saws, which should reduce oil failures.

My take:

1) I believe Asian saws, in general, are not as tough as OEM and need additional protection.

2) Big bores (heavier pistons) and porting put more stress on a saw.

3) If my oil mix works for Asian saws, my OEM saws should last for a long, long time!

I don't claim to be an expert, but I do try to learn from observation and use common sense.
Common sense. That's that ticket. Sadly, common sense ain't so common these days.
Thank you for this post. I've tried to make this point in several oil threads and been ridiculed for it. If the saws aren't failing, the oil is doing its job despite what appearances may lead people to believe. Some oils may be better than others for one person's personal preferences, but that doesn't make the other oils crap. The vast majority of the time they work. If they didn't you'd have forums full of people talking about their bottom end failures, the class action lawsuits, the recalls... But none of that happens. Because the oils work when used correctly.

Unfortunately the zealots won't accept reason and actual outcomes as any kind of evidence. So the oil threads continue...
Bingo.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree. If some of these oils were not up to par, they would not be sold. I think 50:1 is a pretty safe mix, and I have been using it for over 20 years with great results.

BUT, I picked up a bigger saw that will be ported and the experts recommend 40/32:1 on ported saws because of the added thrust loads and piston speeds. I think I'm going to run the mix they suggest.

I did the math, and it will cost me an extra 12 cents per cord to run 32:1. A slight change in the tune can do that.

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Are all Husqvarna chainsaws 50 to 1 mix?​

Technically no, all Husqvarna chainsaws are not 50 to 1 mix. The 50:1 ratio would work for the Husqvarna chainsaw engines up to 75cc. But engines over 75cc require a fuel-oil mix ratio of 33:1

From Husqvarna Site :

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a half gallon to burn up. Then I will get 2 gallons and put 3 bottles of oil in the can instead of 2.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All chainsaw should run 30:1 with good oil in my opinion. 50:1 is just for emission.

Long as you're not getting deposits or carbon I don't see any downside to it. I got 20 years on the P&C of a cheapo Poulan weedeater with 40:1 synthetic so I think that's pretty good.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran Green Machine weedeaters at the golf course I worked for in high school. Regardless of what oil was used they produced a really delicious exhaust smell.:biggrin:

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the shelf life on the schaeffer oil?
A gallon of that would last me many years.