What oil is best? and what ratio?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
918 pages and it died??? Fricken slackers. Im switching to Echo Red Armor. As it turns out that full synthetic Wally world brand 2 stroke oil is crap too....lubes good....but leaves carbon deposits.....Everywhere....piston, chamber, muffler....my wife and kids....on the dog....😮
Anyone burn up a saw yet running Red Armor 50-1?

Look what you did. You started it up again.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't everyone know the red crayons are supposed to taste better!

I think a few on here will know what I'm talking about.
I’m not a Marine, never ate crayons or drank Koolaid, I did volunteer once, don’t ever do that…. I have 10 gallons of 3 different reds run at several different ratios all in large saws pulling chain. Y’all blabber on about what you will, it will still be 1020 pages of someone disagreeing with someone else.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running Husqvarna XP+ since 2019. I bought a whole gallon for less than $23. It has one of the best smelling exhaust smells of any of the two-stroke oils I've used in recent memory. It's the only one my wife doesn't complain about. It's also a beautiful cobalt blue when mixed up.

Edited to add that it's blended and bottled by Phillips 66 now.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not a Marine, never ate crayons or drank Koolaid, I did volunteer once, don’t ever do that…. I have 10 gallons of 3 different reds run at several different ratios all in large saws pulling chain. Y’all blabber on about what you will, it will still be 1020 pages of someone disagreeing with someone else.
Did you drink the orange McDonald's drink in the 80's?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running Husqvarna XP+ since 2019. I bought a whole gallon for less than $23. It has one of the best smelling exhaust smells of any of the two-stroke oils I've used in recent memory. It's the only one my wife doesn't complain about. It's also a beautiful cobalt blue when mixed up.

Edited to add that it's blended and bottled by Phillips 66 now.
Thanks. Didn’t know that. Due to this thread, I switched to Red Armor about 40:1. I mix the 2.5 gallon bottle with 2 gallons of non ethanol.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Didn’t know that. Due to this thread, I switched to Red Armor about 40:1. I mix the 2.5 gallon bottle with 2 gallons of non ethanol.
Red Armor is one of the few oils that I absolutely refuse to use. It has nothing to do with the level of protection it offers, but rather in the amount of oil and spooge it leaves in the muffler.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm an oil junky, even my pores ooze oil.

As a side thought, I did not read all the pages. To much and not enough care I guess... Hahahaha.

I believe husky did a test years ago and they said that there test saws made more power with a 32:1 ratio vs a 50:1 ratio due to less friction. That says enough for me. Less friction also means less heat.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

As a side thought, I did not read all the pages. To much and not enough care I guess... Hahahaha.

I believe husky did a test years ago and they said that there test saws made more power with a 32:1 ratio vs a 50:1 ratio due to less friction. That says enough for me. Less friction also means less heat.
There’s a lot of information out there regarding mix ratios, but it was proven in dirt bike engine testing that 24:1 yielded the most power. After the testing, it was determined that the greater amount of oil provided better ring sealing and higher compression, with less blow-by.

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

50:1 was pretty much a government EPA emissions implementation, nothing more really.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s a lot of information out there regarding mix ratios, but it was proven in dirt bike engine testing that 24:1 yielded the most power. After the testing, it was determined that the greater amount of oil provided better ring sealing and higher compression, with less blow-by.
I read an write up about boat racers that were using 8:1 ratio.