High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What oil is best? and what ratio?

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Try the regular Stihl oil. I’ve heard it doesn’t have the vile smell and other issues the Ultra has.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just talk with Ryan from technical support at Amsoil. Dominator is a race oil with less detergent and very little rust inhibitors and not recommended for OPE . Ryans recommendation for OPE 100% was Saber with more detergents and rust inhibitors specifically for OPE. That was Amsoils recommendation as he stated and verified he would not use Dominator in OPE and especially if being stored. AMSOILS # 715-399-8324

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a good friend that is a Stihl dealer. Ultra at 50:1 is all he will use. I've torn his saws down and was nothing short of impressed with the way they looked internally.

We are splitting hairs in our quest for the "best" oil. Damn near any two stroke oil is better than we need.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just talk with Ryan from technical support at Amsoil. Dominator is a race oil with less detergent and very little rust inhibitors and not recommended for OPE . Ryans recommendation for OPE 100% was Saber with more detergents and rust inhibitors specifically for OPE. That was Amsoils recommendation as he stated and verified he would not use Dominator in OPE and especially if being stored. AMSOILS # 715-399-8324

Now you have some info that isn't just hyperbole. Feels pretty good huh?

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So......Yamalube 2R.

Who wants to call Yamaha? LOL
Ive called way too many companies over the past 4 yrs on oils. Pretty much wont get any company to recommend their race oils in OPE. Ive used them with no issues so far but I crank my equipment at least weekly

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much wont get any company to recommend their race oils in OPE. Ive used them with no issues so far but I crank my equipment at least weekly

Makes sense really. And us using them in OPE is probably stupid. LOL

Being sure we are treating each other with respect is all I really care about. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably so but they shouldn't.

"Dominator has full additive package with rust inhibitors, not as many as some oils, but it has them"

This was the answer I got.

I seriously doubt any of us saw junkies are gonna let our saws sit around and rust up anyhow. The minimal additive package wouldn't concern me. I look for a clean burn, lots of oil for the bearings, and a drool free outlet. And smell.....I cannot use a smelly oil.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seriously doubt any of us saw junkies are gonna let our saws sit around and rust up anyhow. The minimal additive package wouldn't concern me. I look for a clean burn, lots of oil for the bearings, and a drool free outlet. And smell.....I cannot use a smelly oil.
If goggled about Dominator you can get testmonies allday long like this:
I stopped using Dominator after I noticed my crank bearings had a slight rusty paste on them after running that oil. Even though they were covered in oil, and the bike had only been ridden mx.

I looked into it a bit and heard stories from other people who have had the same issues, and a good thread somewhere about it being a big issue in some outboard engines.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But u can read allday long about bad experiences will all oils!
The one oil I havent read alota bad about was Amsoil Saber

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still use either Dominator or 2R. That Schaffers stuff Tree Monkey likes is great too. There's a dealer for it about a mile from here.
I trust results Randy but they definetely dont recommend the Schaffers 7000 in OPE
Not recommended for use in those 2-cycle engines that employ the use of rotary valves or power-valves or 2-cycle engines (*air cooled) that specify API TC, JASO FA, JASO FB, JASO FC, ISO-L-EGB, ISO -L-EGD, ISO-L-EGC and TISI quality 2-cycle oils
I've said that all along. Same with UOA. There is always someone having bad stuff to saw about some oil.
And as to to the Dominator rust deal. I've searched. A lot. Only found a couple people saying they had rust in a dirt bike after storage. Anything else was quoting the asterisk on the bottle therefore it causes rust. So I'll find out myself. And so will you now.
Im trying it myself right now in my 562xp

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See......rather than splitting into camps and creating resentments, we can work on any query together to find out as much as possible. The ability to do that takes a little effort to cultivate though.

I could care less what oil "wins"......but I do enjoy being as informed as I can.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See......rather than splitting into camps and creating resentments, we can work on any query together to find out as much as possible. The ability to do that takes a little effort to cultivate though.

I could care less what oil "wins"......but I do enjoy being as informed as I can.
Heck Ive went to almost all battery powered equipment!!! I couldnt tell u if Klotz, K2, RA, or Dolmar Synthetic is in my 346xp, blowers, and FS250 brushcutter!I know I have Dominator at 50to1 in the 562xp right now.