What oil is best? and what ratio?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That stuff is just waaay to high. Get yourself some decent oil with a stabilizer built in.
My saws sit around in the summer.

Dump the old gas out mix new. Start saw.
I have very few carb issues. Like hardly ever.

I also disagree with running your saw out of fuel to store it. Reason being that just leads to *s-word drying out.
Also I use ethanol fuel. It just doesn’t seem to matter. I do recommend a decent oil with a stabilizer. Works for me

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That stuff is just waaay to high. Get yourself some decent oil with a stabilizer built in.
My saws sit around in the summer.

Dump the old gas out mix new. Start saw.
I have very few carb issues. Like hardly ever.

I also disagree with running your saw out of fuel to store it. Reason being that just leads to *s-word drying out.
Also I use ethanol fuel. It just doesn’t seem to matter. I do recommend a decent oil with a stabilizer. Works for me
It is expensive but always wanted to try the VP fuels and i did buy 3 bottles of oil mix too. I always have just mixed my own fuel and never had an issue but i also use nothing but ethanol free, even in my truck because it gets way better mileage on e-free gas so to me it pays for itself.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be great if edited into the first post we could have a conclusion based on experiences shared in this huge thread stating which ratios must be avoided, which oils must be avoided, and which are generally the best (even if nobody can agree based on personal preference), and maybe even which (if any) oils can be safely used in very low oil content ratios such as 60-150:1. Such information would be very useful to have where people new to the thread can quickly see the basic important points of what is found in our discussions.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We generally run a richer ratio not because of scoring, but so the bearings have a nice supply of oil getting to them. I'd guess most oils wouldn't cause scoring at 80 or 100:1, but the bearings won't last as long as they will with using more oil. There are lots of 2 year old saws out there with bad bearings

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was at walmart today. Noticed they had super tech "universal two stroke" oil with no claims or specifications on the bottle at all. But says for air cooled equipment. They also had a "full synthetic " two stroke oil with no more identification or specifications on the bottle!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was at walmart today. Noticed they had super tech "universal two stroke" oil with no claims or specifications on the bottle at all. But says for air cooled equipment. They also had a "full synthetic " two stroke oil with no more identification or specifications on the bottle!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I’ve used a bottle or two.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've mentioned it before. I remember a top racer that ran out of fuel in a desert race, he pushed his bike over to a campsite, put in some fuel and then some ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and then finished the race in first place.

Another time a bloke in an enduro took off from the start and then seized his engine - he realized he forgot to add his oil to the fuel. He squirted a bunch of chain oil into his tank, rocked the bike back and forth until the piston broke loose - then took off and finished the enduro.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Citgo or Mystic Sea and Snow is $23/gallon and FD rated

Semi synthetic too so stuff doesn't rust up in the off season
Been using Mystic grease JT-12 IIRC (worked for FL Power as mechanic) for 46 yr's swear by it will not use any thing else. Been wanting to try their 2T oil just have too much other on hand.
Shep
Thought about it, it was JT-6 not 12 amazing grease. We used it because it was non dielectric on the bucket trucks specifically and on everything else.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder what the inside of a chainsaw would look like after 50 tanks using high mileage Valvoline car oil.

Sig226y

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always heard high mileage oils have additives to make gaskets and seals swell a bit to reduce oil loss and consumption? Dont know if that would matter or not but the old timers used regular motor oil for mix some called for it.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know some small engines say to not use oil with detergents to avoid breaking loose buildups that can then cause damage. I was wondering if they stayed a lot cleaner inside with detergent oils.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know some small engines say to not use oil with detergents to avoid breaking loose buildups that can then cause damage. I was wondering if they stayed a lot cleaner inside with detergent oils.
Every fd rated oil has detergent in it. Fc is cleaner than fb, and fd is cleaner than fc

Last edited: