What oil is best? and what ratio?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember my Dad and I scraping out the insides of a 296 straight six engine that he had run on non-detergent oil. He wanted to change it to detergent oil and we had to clean it out before the swap to detergent oils.

After that crappy job, I decided to run nothing but detergent oils in my engines.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember my Dad and I scraping out the insides of a 296 straight six engine that he had run on non-detergent oil. He wanted to change it to detergent oil and we had to clean it out before the swap to detergent oils.

After that crappy job, I decided to run nothing but detergent oils in my engines.
Some of those old neglected engines still coke pretty bad on detergent oils. I have seen some pretty crappyinsides of engines that are run on 10w30 well probably more like 20w 50 as sludge up as they were.

Why would you dad not just continue to run HD30 oil before tearing an old engine open and manually cleaning the crud out? I know I'd just run HD 30 for the rest of its life. Yea I know it costs more but I would just suck it up and buy it by the 5 gallon pail.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Flatzout

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a gallon of VP 40:1 today for $20 and three 2.6 oz. VP 2 stroke full synthetic for 2.79 a bottle. FD on back of it, any good?

I bought a bunch of that VP oil when walmart had it for $1 a bottle. Seems to run just as good as red armor. Same color anyways.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought out my Walmart too. Both the large and small bottles. Lol
Works well.
Never saw any size at my walmart. But I don't go that much. My wife picks up most of what I need since she goes to walmart when she is in town. There is not one between where I live and usually the area I am for work, or I am doing something else and can't stop when near one, or just don't want to deal with traffic.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These were 2017 into 2018. I checked this year, couldn't find any. Lol
Yea especially those years I didn't go much at all. And if I did it usually was in the grocery side. I started going more this year as I was trying to catch a grill on sale.

Flatzout

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the walmarts carry the squeeze bottle too.

srLPwWP.png

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. TY sir.
Same stuff Scott uses I think. [emoji106]

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s over $13.50/quart

You can get alot better oil for alot less $$
What are they? Not being argumentative or challenging you that this is a good oil, but with all that I have heard about Lucus, which is what I have been useing, I am now oil shopping. I don't run ported saws, but have everything from cheap China 30cc saws to 80cc stihl saw. My saws sit for months at the time so storage is as important as just my firewood duties. I don't mill, I am mixing 32:1

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are they? Not being argumentative or challenging you that this is a good oil, but with all that I have heard about Lucus, which is what I have been useing, I am now oil shopping. I don't run ported saws, but have everything from cheap China 30cc saws to 80cc stihl saw. My saws sit for months at the time so storage is as important as just my firewood duties. I don't mill, I am mixing 32:1

I think he was referring to the cost only. For the cost shown at Wslmart for the VP oil, there are better alternatives.
BUT if you buy it cheap enough, it is good. The oil itself is good oil. [emoji106]