What oil is best? and what ratio?

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amsoil Saber worked good. Might not be great storage oil either though. Husky oil is probably better at storage than a lot of the bike oils.
Yea Saber seemed wet on exhaust. I know I have read for boat oils if you sit unused you want a semi syn oil to help stay coated better. I'm thinking the Husky XP is semi syn. But that Lucus is a semi syn and it apparently does not stay wet.

I'm glad I revisit this thread every once jn awhile. You learn useful things. I will probably just go back to XP right now. It's easy to get at my Lowes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ve done a search and seems AMSOIL products are available in my country.

I ll get Amsoil Saber to test as its continually mentioned here.
Even read the 100:1 capabilities???

Well, i ll just get a liter and mix 50:1 since it’s so thick and good for test.

Price in Greece is 1liter = 15€

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ve done a search and seems AMSOIL products are available in my country.

I ll get Amsoil Saber to test as its continually mentioned here.
Even read the 100:1 capabilities???

Well, i ll just get a liter and mix 50:1 since it’s so thick and good for test.

Price in Greece is 1liter = 15€
I wouldn't use it at 100:1 , do what you want, but as you mentioned how important your saw is, I would not chance that little oil on a big work saw. Me personally I would not go leaner than 40:1 but do as you see fit.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know @mdavelee was useing it milling a few years ago, seemed to be happy at the time.

Ok so I am now on the search for some more oil. I am thinking of useing echo Red Armor this time.

I’m hardly an expert on anything but I’ve used Red Armor at 32:1 for quite awhile. My saws tune easy with it, run clean, and their innards stay wet if they sit. I have no idea if it’s best or not but it works great for me.

Oh, and at 32:1 it’s a nice crimson color!

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose the marketing campaign by Amsoil to imply their oils were safe @100:1 was irresponsible but not entirely stupid. Many folks got the subconscious impression that the oil must be 2x as good. They sold a lot of oil to those with blind faith. It worked.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose the marketing campaign by Amsoil to imply their oils were safe @100:1 was irresponsible but not entirely stupid. Many folks got the subconscious impression that the oil must be 2x as good. They sold a lot of oil to those with blind faith. It worked.
Lots of landscape folks i heard ran it at 100: with no problems, i have no idea why!! Even amsoil 2 stroke would be such a small part of operating expenses, i dont see why anyone would chance it. At 50:1 you useing twice as much but dang you can mix what 13 gallons or so out of a quart!! Even a 3 man crew that fuel would last them a good while!! If there that worried use whatever you can bug at walmart at 50:1 im sure it would be as good as 100:1.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got off phone with local echo dealer. He doesn't have red armor. And it does not come in quarts, pkus if it did he said i would have to buy the case cause he doesnt sell it. I guess i could buy a pack of smaller bottles but i will just buy off ebay or amazon i guess. Probably going to lowes to see what they have. I see there is a Husky XP+ now a days. How is it different than the XP?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In regards to 100:1 oil ratios. At one time I owned and operated a Canadian fishing lodge that ran a fleet of Yamaha two stroke outboard. Yamaha recommended 100:1 ratios for these motors. I started out running them at 100:1 and found that after a few season some of them started to show signs of wear. Ie they started losing power. I then switched to 50:1 and the problem went away. They would last 3 full season with no apparent lose of power.
Keep in mind these motors had more hours on them after one season than most outboard that are ran for decades.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In regards to 100:1 oil ratios. At one time I owned and operated a Canadian fishing lodge that ran a fleet of Yamaha two stroke outboard. Yamaha recommended 100:1 ratios for these motors. I started out running them atb100:1 and found that after a few season some of them started to show signs of wear. Ie the started losing power. I then switched to 50:1 and the problem went away. They would last 3 full season with no apparent lose of power.
Keep in mind these motors had more hours on them after one season than most outboard that are ran for decades.
OMC also had 100:1 tatio recomendations as well they went back to 50 though.

The first gen VRO use to cut the ration farther back the the second gens as well.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was a commercial fisherman for almost 10 years. I just ran 50:1 and used the Mercury oil so as to not void any warranty issues. I really didn't know any better back then. I never had any issues at all related to oil or lack of lubrication. I basically worked every single day. Self employed. No work, no pay. So my motors had some time on them. [emoji106]

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would be like walking a tight rope. Very risky.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was a commercial fisherman for almost 10 years. I just ran 50:1 and used the Mercury oil so as to not void any warranty issues. I really didn't know any better back then. I never had any issues at all related to oil or lack of lubrication. I basically worked every single day. Self employed. No work, no pay. So my motors had some time on them. [emoji106]
You couldn’t catch a clam in a bucket

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got off phone with local echo dealer. He doesn't have red armor. And it does not come in quarts, pkus if it did he said i would have to buy the case cause he doesnt sell it. I guess i could buy a pack of smaller bottles but i will just buy off ebay or amazon i guess. Probably going to lowes to see what they have. I see there is a Husky XP+ now a days. How is it different than the XP?

Echo’s powerblend is great oil