What oil is best? and what ratio?

3browns

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This may have been discussed at some point in some other oil thread on some other site but here goes anyway...

Are "testing" and "certifying" the same thing?

I am probably talking out my @$$ but I seem to remember this from a thread years ago

The testing would come first (at a certain cost) and then and only then, if you passed, you would go through the process of "certification" (with its own separate cost)

So you could theoretically have complied with the first part of the process without complying with the second

I seem to recall that the testing was quite expensive but it was peanuts next to the actual process of certification

The incentive for not going the whole route is obviously $$$$$$ and if you can legally put "Meets XYZ Spec" on the label and people buy the oil because they see the "meets....." but don't know to look for the cute little symbol...

dot dot dot

:confundio1:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This may have been discussed at some point in some other oil thread on some other site but here goes anyway...

I am probably talking out my @$$ but I seem to remember this from a thread years ago

The testing would come first (at a certain cost) and then and only then, if you passed, you would go through the process of "certification" (with its own separate cost)

So you could theoretically have complied with the first part of the process without complying with the second

I seem to recall that the testing was quite expensive but it was peanuts next to the actual process of certification

The incentive for not going the whole route is obviously $$$$$$ and if you can legally put "Meets XYZ Spec" on the label and people buy the oil because they see the "meets....." but don't know to look for the cute little symbol...

dot dot dot

I can say with certainty that the company's claiming "meets" havent tested their oils using the JASO tests. I am also fairly certain most of you would be shocked at how little testing goes on with a low margin, niche product like two cycle oil. In many cases its zero.

Last edited:

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

dot dot dot

I would bet that this is the case. You could pay a lab to test your oil to prove a spec or bench mark. But you have to pay API or JASO or whoever to use their logo.

I'm a forester by profession. I am Regestered with my state as a professional licensed forester. I have also passed the Certified Forester exam from the Society of American Foresters (SAF) but I can't call my self a Certified Forester (CF) or use that logo behind my name since it's a Regestered trademark of the organization. So along these lines, I have passed the Certified Forester test but I am NOT a certified forester because I have not paid SAF to use their trade mark logo CF or title of Certified Forester.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would bet that this is the case. You could pay a lab to test your oil to prove a spec or bench mark. But you have to pay API or JASO or whoever to use their logo.

I'm a forester by profession. I am Regestered with my state as a professional licensed forester. I have also passed the Certified Forester exam from the Society of American Foresters (SAF) but I can't call my self a Certified Forester (CF) or use that logo behind my name since it's a Regestered trademark of the organization. So along these lines, I have passed the Certified Forester test but I am NOT a certified forester because I have not paid SAF to use their trade mark logo CF or title of Certified Forester.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The jaso FD tests are run using actual engines that are pretty obscure and probably only operated by JASO. Claiming "meets" is a guess at best.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Should be illegal to advertise that unless there are tests to back it up. Unfortunately we would need to gave more government employees to investigate these claims. Companies know this and exploit this. [emoji53]
Some of the companies in question wont even say their oils meet certain standards. For instance Amsoil in the past would list Jaso FC and TCW3 on the label snd say nothing more about either. Basically misleading people. Never mind the fact its impossible for one oil to pass both standards.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never saw Stihl HP super before. Just orange and silver bottle oils.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never saw Stihl HP super before. Just orange and silver bottle oils.

In my country’s oil limited market and due i m not to experiment with powerheads that can save my life and daily bring food to the table, last 2 years i use the Stihl HP Super. No complaints at all. Especially last 5 plus months i m cleaning the catastrophic fire.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal. Is it available in the USA? I have not seen it at both Stihl shops that I go to.