What oil is best? and what ratio?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your correct. However it is a NMMA marine oil. And it is an ashless oil. No oil that is FD certified is ashless. Air cooled OPE require low ash oils.

Actually I just took another look at the label and noted that it mentions being low ash, then also mentions being ashless and NMMA certified.
I wonder if it is indeed a low ash oil?

Just did some looking and it appears that it is indeed a low ash type air cooled oil despite the ashless and NMMA logo on the label.
Should be suitable for a saw.
Phillip's 66 typicaly makes good products.

Usually I don't think to question your knowledge in this area but your need to rapidly dismiss things has lead you to misread this label over and over again.

0f49a2509334e28d0cb7decd6935b9fd.jpg

"Do not use 76 @T Airkool HP 2-Cycle Oil in Water-cooled 2-cycle engines. For applications where the OEN specifies a NMMA TC-W, TCW-II or TC-W3 oil, use 76 2T Uninix 2-Cycle Motor Oil."

Other than an actual FD rating and not just "Meets FD Rating" this oil would seem to be everything you normally recommend.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not FD rated and is in fact a NMMA certified boat oil. It also says to use where OEM specifies a TCW3 marine oil. No OPE OEM does this currently. Lawnboy mowers and Toro snowblowers(same engines) did, but they havent been produced for years.
No, it says if tcw3 oil is called for to use 76 unimix

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the thought and opinions guys!
I actually bought the oil because it had a picture of a chainsaw and it was blue :D... No really I found it locally for a little over $4 a quart when I bought it by the case so I figured that was a no brainer.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Usually I don't think to question your knowledge in this area but your need to rapidly dismiss things has lead you to misread this label over and over again.

View attachment 155319

"Do not use 76 @T Airkool HP 2-Cycle Oil in Water-cooled 2-cycle engines. For applications where the OEN specifies a NMMA TC-W, TCW-II or TC-W3 oil, use 76 2T Uninix 2-Cycle Motor Oil."

Other than an actual FD rating and not just "Meets FD Rating" this oil would seem to be everything you normally recommend.
I dismissed it because of the NMMA logo and thebfactbit was labeled ashless. Truth is Inwas at work and gave it only a quick look due to the NMMA logo and ashless label. Honest mistake and I mentioned as much.
The label on this product is Fubar.
As for recommending this oil. I am sure it works fine in a aircooled motor. I base this on the fact its a low ash formulation and it's made by Phillip's. However, why not just use a real FD certified oil?

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
img_20171113_200546986-jpg.96609

32:1 FTW

Last edited:

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's no good cause it's not synthetic! Hahaha
Thanks for the thought and opinions guys!
I actually bought the oil because it had a picture of a chainsaw and it was blue :D... No really I found it locally for a little over $4 a quart when I bought it by the case so I figured that was a no brainer.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess the problem I have with the "meets" verbiage is the fact that how can a company say that a product can meet a standard that they have never ran the tests on?
Manufacturers are free to claim pretty much whatever they want, as long as they don't violate certain specific laws, the loopholes are gigantic.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess the problem I have with the "meets" verbiage is the fact that how can a company say that a product can meet a standard that they have never ran the tests on?

We don't know, maybe they use the same formula to meet FC and then go to a low ash based oil to mix it with. Then pocket the money that would be used for the tests...

However, if we can safely run FB oil in a saw, then something that allegedly 'meets' FD probably meets FB at the minimum. - That is, it isn't going to cause any problems running it, perhaps it might cause a bit more coking, but until you run it you don't know.

I'm running a 'meets' FD rated oil and it runs nice and clean, good throttle response, blue dye and inexpensive. Works for me.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at how many people run and swear by Amsoil. They dont have any certifications. Not saying its bad, tons of people use it, race teams use it. I have used some 2 stroke.

They may have some of their OE oil line certified now, i just dont remember? But they claim meets and exceeds all kinds of certifications.

Last edited:

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To prove how crazy we all are, including myself, i have ran nothing but Amsoil Saber since i've been cutting firewood at all sorts of ratios from 100:1 to 50:1 and now 40:1. I run Amsoil products in everything I have. Like many of us with certain brands of 2 stoke earl that we run here on the forum, I have never ever had one problem with the oil from my farm and ranch saws, to my china girls and now entering the era of my first ported saws because of the bad influences of our great asylum we have here. And YET as I posted above was still contemplating switching to Motul 8002t. I have not one single reason two switch and yet wonder if the grass is greener on the other side. Psychotic :nut:

and yes I will still be here for the next 700 pages

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look at how many people run and swear by Amsoil. They dont have any certifications. Not saying its bad, tons of people use it, race teams use it. I have used some 2 stroke.

They may have some of their OE oil line certified now, i just dont remember? But they claim meets and exceeds all kinds of certifications.

They do have some certified oils.
They also in the past made all sorts of claims of meeting and exceeding that where impossible. They have gotten away from this, but still use some misleading language in cases.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not saying everything written on an oil bottle is a lie but often a close eye will see its misleading & optimistic. There is very little that can't be written on a oil package & even when they can't use an authorised JASO logo they imply it 'meets' or 'exceeds' or 'complies' with a JASO tested rating. It may well do, but as mentioned by the walker it's hard to make claims regarding a standard without actual testing, many could question how that is even possible.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not saying everything written on an oil bottle is a lie but often a close eye will see its misleading & optimistic. There is very little that can't be written on a oil package & even when they can't use an authorised JASO logo they imply it 'meets' or 'exceeds' or 'complies' with a JASO tested rating. It may well do, but as mentioned by the walker it's hard to make claims regarding a standard without actual testing, many could question how that is even possible.
No doubt.
The oil refiner I work for does some of the same crap on their two cycle oils.