What oil is best? and what ratio?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched a some videos where you were using klotz, my buddy used to run that in his sled I couldn’t stand the smell

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just got a vp racing fuels station not to far away. They have 87-105 octane fuels, should be able to get away with some pretty high compression with the 105.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just got a vp racing fuels station not to far away. They have 87-105 octane fuels, should be able to get away with some pretty high compression with the 105.
Even ported saws have low compression ratios. 92 octane is more than enough.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did replace a piston in a 460 though lost part of the land between the rings. I also did my first true port job on one of his 026’s, nothing crazy just smoothed the transfers, widened the intake raised the exhaust to maintain the stock height after I dropped the jug. Won’t keep up with the saws that the guys on here build but much better than stock.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Ben, question for you. Is it wrong to use an oil cocktail? A few different 2 stroke oils mixed together in 1 cocktail mixed with fuel? I tried it when I got down to the end of a few oils I was using. Based on the results of some oils not burning fully, and others that burn well.
For example I have been using a 50:1 RA base but add either Klotz Benol or Motul 800 and a little VP to get to 36:1. So predominantly RA, but with a little thicker stuff mixed in.
Is it OK for these saws? More harm than good? More beneficial?
@bwalker

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's some pics of my 26 year old 066 P/C I took 5 months ago.

This was the first time the saw's cylinder was ever removed(notice the original green paper base gasket), only removed it because melted plastic fragments of the PTO bearing's cage bridged the spark plug gap.

Other then the melted black plastic in the dome, look how clean the transfers and over all bore is. Piston and rings are good too, so good I rebuilt the bottom end and put the top end as it is back in service , still lots of compression.

This saw has never had a HD air filter on it and had always used the orange bottle Stihl Castrol mix.
Never logged 8 hr a day with it but has been one of my go to saws in my tree service for 20 years. Before that lots of bucking and noodle splitting hardwood firewood with its original 28" ES bar. And milling thousands of feet of 16 ft logs and cedar power poles with a 36" b/c on a Alaskan mill.
20180322_162035.jpg 20180322_161816.jpg 20180322_165915.jpg

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m think tune is just as important as the oil mix.
Very true and if it's a Stihl in my 066 case;)
Can't beat the effective thermal and vibration isolation rubber intake manifolds on the Stihls since the 042 came out with it in 1976 same year the 162SE was introduced.
I have run Jonsereds and 2 series Huskies since 1974 and I always had to carry a carb screwdriver in my pocket to reset the carb from vibration every few days when 8 hr a day logging.
Got my first Stihl in 1980 and only needed to re set the carb during season temperature changes.
That right there says alot.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Ben, question for you. Is it wrong to use an oil cocktail? A few different 2 stroke oils mixed together in 1 cocktail mixed with fuel? I tried it when I got down to the end of a few oils I was using. Based on the results of some oils not burning fully, and others that burn well.
For example I have been using a 50:1 RA base but add either Klotz Benol or Motul 800 and a little VP to get to 36:1. So predominantly RA, but with a little thicker stuff mixed in.
@bwalker
I have done it to get rid of partial bottles, but cant really reccomend it. Not because I have seen it lead to anything negative, but simply because I dont know.
I have blended Klotz R50 with 10% Benol too for my dune bike.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You need a little improvement on your"daid" writing comprehension:)
To me extinct and obsolete mean the same.;)
You think that only because your not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have done it to get rid of partial bottles, but cant really reccomend it. Not because I have seen it lead to anything negative, but simply because I dont know.
I have blended Klotz R50 with 10% Benol too for my dune bike.
Thank you sir.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@bwalker
I only do it to get rid of partial bottles. I was leary about it because 30 years ago some synthetic mix was added to non-synthetic mix and my quad burned up. But I don't know if it was because of the oil or I was jetted too lean. Like Ben said, I don't know if there's anything wrong with it but can't recommend it

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Kevin. I guess I was just trying to see if I could get the best lubrication out of a cocktail using what I thought were the best qualities of each leftover oils. Lol
Not too much Motul 800, or Klotz, just enough to give that little extra over and above what is already a good oil. Lol
I have to say I Iike what I see when I pull muff covers. [emoji106]