What oil is best? and what ratio?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Consider not everyone r experienced users like I posted previously. The majority of users r average with 0 mechanical/tuning abilities and Stihl Ultra in the wrong hands makes a dang mess. Its just that simple as I see it daily in whats brought into my shop
You sure about that just Stihl Ultra you say and what this can be fixed with? red armor just like that?. My way of thinking any oil would perform badly under these circumstances oils not the fix here sorry to say.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sure about that just Stihl Ultra you say and what this can be fixed with? red armor just like that?. My way of thinking any oil would perform badly under these circumstances oils not the fix here sorry to say.
Even tuned bad Red Armor is 10x better oil than Stihl Ultra as it doesnt burn dirty even off tune. It burns very clean. I posted a puc a few days ago of Stihl Ultra that solid plugged the ring land and stuck the ring and see it quite frequently here and its not just homeowners entirely but lawn services and loggers I service equipment for

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some oils have enough detergents to fight this effect or base oils that burn cleanly whereas some cheaper oils dont and tuned or used improperly will show its head

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In all seriousness lots of people use stihl oil. It's highly recommended. That's likely why you see many failures using it. Not necessarily due to that oil. I've used it. It's not my favorite but if I find it cheap enough I'd use it again.
Not for me at all. I see the effects of it daily in the average users hands and professionals hands that cant tune or using the eq. At low rpm or low temps

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder why stihl continues to put their name on the bottle? I've never used red armor personally. Wonder why stihl doesn't change up?
Profit to manufacteur ratio and return service. Theres a reason they make a decarbonizer for their 4 mix units. Their top tier oil is FB rated and performs like it instead of FD rated and that crap cost more than most any oil out

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Consider not everyone r experienced users like I posted previously. The majority of users r average with 0 mechanical/tuning abilities and Stihl Ultra in the wrong hands makes a dang mess. Its just that simple as I see it daily in whats brought into my shop

So is XP oil better than ultra ?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the husky oils isn't worth a crap. At least in a husky 350. Exhaust port had 1/8" of buildup around it. Owner wasn't sure if it was xp or low smoke

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the husky oils isn't worth a crap. At least in a husky 350. Exhaust port had 1/8" of buildup around it. Owner wasn't sure if it was xp or low smoke
Ive seen exhaust ports practically closed from Stihl Ultra. Sounded like a weak kittens purr when the throttle was dropped!:eek::D

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even tuned bad Red Armor is 10x better oil than Stihl Ultra as it doesnt burn dirty even off tune. It burns very clean. I posted a puc a few days ago of Stihl Ultra that solid plugged the ring land and stuck the ring and see it quite frequently here and its not just homeowners entirely but lawn services and loggers I service equipment for
Anyone who pays someone to service their saw I highly doubt could tune a saw who does that? o_O lol
I don't run Ultra I don't know anything about it apart from it stinks and its ok I'm not sticking up for it or praising how good it is all I asked was who has actually run it here at length and how bad is it really I already know what you think of it many times over lol. IDK hopefully someone will come a long who has actually run it for some time and can tune a saw. Jake said he has used it and seemed to get away with it and no gumby rings to report lucky lol.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleanest saw Ive seen internally with alota run time on it was a Husky 181 that was alil low on compression and the owner wanted a topend job. It was spotless without a scratch or carbon in it and when I ask the owner what oil he used he said, "Whatever was cheapest at the convenience store!!""

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone who pays someone to service their saw I highly doubt could tune a saw who does that? o_O lol
I don't run Ultra I don't know anything about it apart from it sticks and its ok I'm not sticking up for it or praising how good it is all I asked was who has actually run it here at length and how bad is it really I already know what you think of it many times over lol. IDK hopefully someone will come a long who has actually run it for some time and can tune a saw. Jake said he has used it and seemed to get away with it and no gumby rings to report lucky lol.
Well??!! Lol! Ive got a Stihl 021 thats ran nothing but Stihl orange bottle and Stihl Ultra its entire life but stayed tuned and ran underload and its never had a problem or been inside of. I retired from it and gave it to my best friend as a limbing saw. I would like to see it internally just out of curosity. The saw was bought over 20yrs ago

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's got to be lack of heat, poor tune and bad fuel. I've seen them both ways with the ultra. I ran it for 10 years in my fs130 trimming around our pond which is high load and heat and that's all I used it for. The screen is still in. I switched this year due to the smell mostly.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl oil works no doubt as well as many others but hearing testimonies from people who work on equipment and see the downside of the oil used in a less than perfect fashion, the oil costing an arm and a leg, and having a FB rating, why would anyone want to use it? Because it says Stihl? Thats why I used it for 20+ yrs was the name and assumption of the quality because of

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's got to be lack of heat, poor tune and bad fuel. I've seen them both ways with the ultra. I ran it for 10 years in my fs130 trimming around our pond which is high load and heat and that's all I used it for. The screen is still in. I switched this year due to the smell mostly.
I agree 100% . The oil isnt designed for average users. I wonder why Stihl stopped selling their FD rated oil other than cost to make? I worry about the Red Armor doing the same from cost to blend

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What did u switch to?

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ran stihl ultra for a while and no matter how I tuned it on any of my saws it would leave goo at the exhaust. The bigger saws where not as bad as smaller saws and my weedeater would just oooozzz down the muffler and even down the side of the case.