JIMG

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 on being wary of using a crown stapler.. They dont hold as well as the hand hammered galvanized siding nails either, especially on the south side of your house.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My house will have new lap on it just trying to decide what kind, cedar is new impossible to find of size that’s solid anymore. I’m thinking tamarack but have to see if I can keep it straight. I know it gets hard when dry but I’m going to use my crown stapler to install anyway. Cut siding then make a plastic lined tank to soak boards in stain a couple minutes then pull out and stack on horses to dry. Did you upgrade to a 9 hp or get the stock 7.5?
Went with the 9.5 hp.

On my house, beveled pine siding. Been on it 25 years or so. Maze spiral siding nails is what you want to use.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks a lot like what we had to do when setting my old mill. Looks good!
The mill track is just sitting there. We will probably tie the two sides together, and lower the rails a couple of inches before we bolt it down.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it will be a good working height for you vertically challenged people.
I sure didn't like it sitting right on the ground. Rolling the log sucked, and moving the lumber sucked too. This should be more better. Debating now on building a platform to stage logs on.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sure didn't like it sitting right on the ground. Rolling the log sucked, and moving the lumber sucked too. This should be more better. Debating now on building a platform to stage logs on.
I like the deck of my mill at about 32" off the ground which is pretty good compromise height wise for me.

We use this setup for staging logs.....IMG_20230712_084224.jpgIMG_20230712_084232.jpg

Just a couple 12' long oak "sawhorses" with flip down ramps to roll the next victim onto the mill.
They are a few inches higher than the mill so it's all downhill once the logs are up there.

I also like that they are independent of each other, that way it's really easy to move em outta the way with the tractor when I want to load a big log directly into the mill with a machine.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From day one I thought working on the ground would suck so I made the trailer for the mill at a hight to make removing lumber and rolling logs comfortable.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The newer kohler command pros like on the mills are foreign built I think but my 14 sure runs nice and starts easy. I would maybe give a check on the drive side for belt alignment. Mine wore the one side of the belt pretty fast. You can also look to find belts at a parts store. I can buy a set for mine for about 30$ and woodland mills wanted about 125$ a set. Just standard cogged v-belts but I actually tried some non cogged ones that were on clearance and only cost 12$ for the set. They worked fine too

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I recall, the very first thing I sawed with the mill was some planks for a walkway to go back and forth on, which made it nice and user friendly.
Shoveling sawdust gets old real fast, so a 5 gallon bucket under the discharge was easier to empty every once in a while.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score