What? No bandsaw milling threads?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My friend with that missing finger was in the salvage business.
I've spent a few days pulling nails and screws plus driving ceramic wire tubes out etc, from reclaimed wood.
Some of the beams were heart pine and 18" thick. Gorgeous wood!

The guy who re-cut it had an electric leaf blower (metal impeller type) mounted on his wood-mizer band-mill.
He routed it to blow into a truck bed. Not much bucket time needed!

The mill rack was set about 3ft high. He was fairly tall guy.
Good working height for the tractor with front end loader.

Seemed like keeping a good set to the teeth helped with keeping the blade from wandering so much.
Feed rate too though of course.
Water feed always on the blade. don't recall if it ever had any sort of slippery stuff in it, as that might affect color of wood or staining and painting etc.

the sawyer also grew cane and had made a press for squeezing it to make molasses.
Over those years, I got to meet some pretty interesting folks through the salvage dude.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's next. I figure I can get away with a sharpen or two on my bands before I need to make up a tool to set them. You're the pro sawyer, though... Am I right or do they need setting after every sharpen?
The purists will say it's gotta be reset every time you sharpen, and they are probably right if a person wants top performance out of their blades.
I've never tried it myself.... I'd say go for it, it might work pretty fine, probably the worst thing that will happen is cruddy cuts.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice, what flavor of tree are you using?

I was impressed with the coloring in the elm......I almost dumped it over the hill with the tops & limbs.
White pine.
So how did you make your siding jig
I just used a couple of 1/2" blocks under an 8" wide cant. Put em in....take em out. Took a little bit of fussing around to figure out how much to drop the mill head each cut....but once I was dialed in it was real simple.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
White pine.

I just used a couple of 1/2" blocks under an 8" wide cant. Put em in....take em out. Took a little bit of fussing around to figure out how much to drop the mill head each cut....but once I was dialed in it was real simple.
Lots of people do blocks like that I’m still leaning towards a angle iron bracket that’s hinged you clamp the cant in.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of people do blocks like that I’m still leaning towards a angle iron bracket that’s hinged you clamp the cant in.
My wife and I got pretty good at it. Just did 3 logs. Only need a few hundred board feet.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife and I got pretty good at it. Just did 3 logs. Only need a few hundred board feet.
I like the woodland mill brand mills, think they make a well built machine for the money. I see they just announced an hm 136 36” mill but it’s 8-11,000. Has a 21hp Honda on it.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sycamore doesnt grow up here...yet. I planted a couple just to see if it's gotten mild enough for them yet. Walnuts could not really survive here until about a generation ago.
Walnuts grows in southern Ontario natively so could be soil maybe ?
Gonna give my shot with some next spring

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you're right. Talked with my Father in law who grew up here. (I grew up on the south Texas border). He says there are a few older walnuts here and there that he knows of.
I know some spots north of us are actually in a warmer zone, like around Montreal. I believe there may even be sycamores I saw growing in the botanical gardens there. Been a while since I was there, though.
Anyway, those are some real nice pieces you have there mr. sawdust. I really like the elm. I have a 30+" standing dead elm on my hit list that I hope to get on the mill soon. Will post pics when I get to it.