What is the point of a 70cc saw…

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I thought. I guess since it was an American show, they just grabbed whatever saw fit the size and color requirements they had. Also, he has been trying to start the saw for several minutes and it still won't go.....

Ever notice in scary movies, the saws have auto-insta-start? Did the bad guy warm it up outside first??

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...when there are 80cc saws that weigh nearly the same Or less? (7900, 500i)
I don't have much use for a 70 cc saw either, especially for how much they cost.

My Jonsered 2172 is banished to the lewis winch, not much use for it.

I run 4 60-67 cc saws that are all modified. The modified 67 cc saws cut exact times to a stihl 044 and only costed about $225 a piece.

When I need to run a long bar to cut down and noodle large stumps or cut large saw logs to 16 ft sticks, I grab my ported 81 cc saw.

The big cavernous clutch cover never plugs with noodles, and that longer stroke offers a completely different powerband than a 70 cc saw. Its a big flat plateau of torque that starts lower in the rpms and holds that power in the upper rpms as well.

The 67 cc and 80-82 cc chainsaws are tried and true, old school sized saws. They were around long before 70 cc saws became common.

Recently, I had an opportunity to buy a brand new CS 7310pw for $1100. I passed on it and bought a used 92 cc saw. After paying the local welder to build a full-wrap handle, it came in at the same price.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have much use for a 70 cc saw either, especially for how much they cost.

My Jonsered 2172 is banished to the lewis winch, not much use for it.

I run 4 60-67 cc saws that are all modified. The modified 67 cc saws cut exact times to a stihl 044 and only costed about $225 a piece.

When I need to run a long bar to cut down and noodle large stumps or cut large saw logs to 16 ft sticks, I grab my ported 81 cc saw.

The big cavernous clutch cover never plugs with noodles, and that longer stroke offers a completely different powerband than a 70 cc saw. Its a big flat plateau of torque that starts lower in the rpms and holds that power in the upper rpms as well.

The 67 cc and 80-82 cc chainsaws are tried and true, old school sized saws. They were around long before 70 cc saws became common.

Recently, I had an opportunity to buy a brand new CS 7310pw for $1100. I passed on it and bought a used 92 cc saw. After paying the local welder to build a full-wrap handle, it came in at the same price.
How do they compare to a modded 044?

I have several 044s that I paid $400ish brand new and woods ported by Walker at the time for an additional $150ish shipped.

I still have one LNIB, wonder if I can still get my money back out of them ;) :D

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see that around here with different things. "It's older, so it should sell for the same as new" is the line I get.
Yeah. I realize the early 044s have a cult like following. He'll probably get what he's asking for or close to it and apparently knows what he has....I was thinking more like $200🤣

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to David's original thread discussion... Beyond price I don't see any point in the 7300 either and even less so the 6400. They all weigh the same.

Stock vs stock the 6400 pulls chain harder than any of my other 60cc saws....it's also heavy as chit in comparison.

Fuel economy? Is that really a relevant thing? If so I've been told the 6100 has large oil/fuel tanks....and weighs less.

Idk. I guess the silver lining is the 64xx and 73xx Dolkitas can be easily upgraded to a7900 with a simple P&C swap....until they're NLA

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worst part is that all of your points are important. Power, weight, fuel economy, fuel capacity, ease of increasing power.....a good saw should have most or all of them in spades

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I realize the early 044s have a cult like following. He'll probably get what he's asking for or close to it and apparently knows what he has....I was thinking more like $200🤣
Yes the cult pricing $750 is crazy, around here that is the lower end of asking price and only goes up from there which is nearly twice what I paid for the saws brand new in the box.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 70cc used to provide a lot more power at minimal increase in weight. 7900 was the outlier. With new modern saws like the 500i and ms400, the lines are blurred.

Why did Dolmar make a 7300? Marketing. Trying to create a direct competitor to the 372 and 440. But clearly the people upstairs at Dolmar made bad decisions.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They would have been better off making improvements to their existing models. It seems companies focus more on making new cheap shiny crap and less on making quality equipment.

Look at trucks. The new ones are useless for work. They are designed for soccer moms and to heck with the working man. Minimal payloads, too many electronic gizmos, and nothing durable in the entire truck. Have you seen the "frames" on a new truck? :eyepop: I can pack 6k lbs on my old ford and drive down the road llikeit's not even there. Try that on a newer f250 and you'll have a pancake breakfast.