Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I'm not suggesting that a 40cc saw is all that anyone needs, rather that alot of folks aren't letting their saw perform as well as it could because of a crappy chain.
I think that’s a fair statement for sure.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@huskihl screwed my saw plan all up with the 346 he built me. I practically don’t need anything else now, ha!

(up to 24”-as long as I can line my cuts up!)

X2 My saw plan got screwed up/canceled by my ported 350. It does everything. I picked up a 345 this summer too, for $10, with a few chains. I have another nice 50cc cylinder I was saving as a backup for my 350, but I might put it on the 345 and have 2 do-all saws. I rarely use my ms390 now, and the 372 is on the books to get ported. I finally agree with my wife and my neighbor that I have too many saws and need to sell about 10 of them. I have no idea how I came to own this many saws, but they are everywhere I look...in the car, in the house, in the shop....I'm looking at one right now, next to my recliner. I have 2 more boxes of parts under the coffee table. I may have a problem.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
X2 My saw plan got screwed up/canceled by my ported 350. It does everything. I picked up a 345 this summer too, for $10, with a few chains. I have another nice 50cc cylinder I was saving as a backup for my 350, but I might put it on the 345 and have 2 do-all saws. I rarely use my ms390 now, and the 372 is on the books to get ported. I finally agree with my wife and my neighbor that I have too many saws and need to sell about 10 of them. I have no idea how I came to own this many saws, but they are everywhere I look...in the car, in the house, in the shop....I'm looking at one right now, next to my recliner. I have 2 more boxes of parts under the coffee table. I may have a problem.
No, you don't need to get rid of any saws. You just need to build a big shed, or rent a storage unit! I mean c'mon... let's be practical here!

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, you don't need to get rid of any saws. You just need to build a big shed, or rent a storage unit! I mean c'mon... let's be practical here!

I have an 80 ft shop, an 80 ft lean-to, and a couple of older outbuildings. I need to get rid of more stuff and make more space.

my neighbor just built a big shop last year after working in mine, and his is full now too.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure I can 100% agree with this. I will say I think most fellers gathering firewood for themselves could do just fine with a 2 saw plan featuring a 40cc and 60cc 2 saw plan though.

I use a 50 and 70 mostly. I’ve got a lot of others but no 40 or 60. But I could agree. I could get by with those

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a 50 and 70 mostly. I’ve got a lot of others but no 40 or 60. But I could agree. I could get by with those

That’s a great classic 2 saw plan right there too. Like I’ve always said run what you like and don’t let anyone tell you what you should like. Sure there are a few turds out there, and I’ll never like Stihl flippy caps, but I like most chainsaws.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great example. I like the flippy caps. Keep the chips out of the hole and they work great. Mine have been working for 15 years. I wipe the chips away from the hole and where the cap will hang on any saw before opening it. I also wipe the gasket surface before closing it. That's on ANY saw. There is no excuse for chips in the tanks.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great example. I like the flippy caps. Keep the chips out of the hole and they work great. Mine have been working for 15 years. I wipe the chips away from the hole and where the cap will hang on any saw before opening it. I also wipe the gasket surface before closing it. That's on ANY saw. There is no excuse for chips in the tanks.
I close them but don’t latch them because user error. Then pour oil everywhere. Lol. They aren’t half bad. I just don’t always do right

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They always point the same way when you put them in. Once you know which way they point it's all good. I had a hard time once when I didnt use my saw for a year and forgot which way they went. That was fun.

Speaking of oil/gas caps.....I absentmindedly poured bar oil in my gas tank. I poured it out right away but some bar oil remains. That stuff STINKS when it goes through the engine. PEW! And it burns the eyes, nose, throat.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a great classic 2 saw plan right there too. Like I’ve always said run what you like and don’t let anyone tell you what you should like. Sure there are a few turds out there, and I’ll never like Stihl flippy caps, but I like most chainsaws.
I run a pair of 50cc saws just because I've owned one of them for 20 years & am just so familiar with them.
Like a friend of 20 years, you just learn a lot about them over the years.
Poulan 3300's, they are heavy compared to modern saws but I dont notice it after 20 years. Lol
I have 4 70cc saws I love, but they dont have the seniority the old Poulans do.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run an old husky 55. Been a good un. First good saw I ever owned. Old man bought it for me. It was all I had for 10 years or so. Then got buried in saws.

I think the floppy caps mess with me because I’m a husky guy. I don’t run stihls enough to just get used to them.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a pair of 50cc saws just because I've owned one of them for 20 years & am just so familiar with them.
Like a friend of 20 years, you just learn a lot about them over the years.
Poulan 3300's, they are heavy compared to modern saws but I dont notice it after 20 years. Lol
I have 4 70cc saws I love, but they dont have the seniority the old Poulans do.
50cc saw class is probably my most used saw size.

I think the floppy caps mess with me because I’m a husky guy. I don’t run stihls enough to just get used to them.
Yeah the husky caps are definitely a superior design.