What is the point of a 70cc saw…

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW I have the Makita version of the Dolmar 7300 engine on two concrete saws .Even at the limited 9500 RPM's because it's a concrete saw it produces 5.6 HP .From my perspective that's a good engine .I've never seen a 7300 Dolmar .

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 70cc used to provide a lot more power at minimal increase in weight. 7900 was the outlier. With new modern saws like the 500i and ms400, the lines are blurred.

Why did Dolmar make a 7300? Marketing. Trying to create a direct competitor to the 372 and 440. But clearly the people upstairs at Dolmar made bad decisions.

Price point sales. Best I can tell, most saws are priced by the amount of power they produce. 61-79CC's is a huge gap to have in a lineup when compared to the big 2.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They would have been better off making improvements to their existing models. It seems companies focus more on making new cheap shiny crap and less on making quality equipment.

Look at trucks. The new ones are useless for work. They are designed for soccer moms and to heck with the working man. Minimal payloads, too many electronic gizmos, and nothing durable in the entire truck. Have you seen the "frames" on a new truck? :eyepop: I can pack 6k lbs on my old ford and drive down the road llikeit's not even there. Try that on a newer f250 and you'll have a pancake breakfast.
Just today discussed new refrigerators with bluetooth capabilities so you can adjust the temp from your phone, I want one of the old-style ones that lasted 30-40yrs you adjusted the temp when you brought it home and did not need to change it again.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just today discussed new refrigerators with bluetooth capabilities so you can adjust the temp from your phone, I want one of the old-style ones that lasted 30-40yrs you adjusted the temp when you brought it home and did not need to change it again.
That's right up there with wifi dishwashers. I much prefer the conventional type....they're also wireless.
woman-at-sink-washing-dishes-george-marks.jpg

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At 12.8 lbs and 5.4 HP it sure looks good on paper. It's one of the few new saws I've seriously considered. I'd love to run one.
400s and 500s should be avoided unless you know you can spend the coin 😆

I’ve been saying that if I was actually earning a living with my saws that’s what I would run.

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At 12.8 lbs and 5.4 HP it sure looks good on paper. It's one of the few new saws I've seriously considered. I'd love to run one.
Just wait a bit. Sounds like a newer version is near and with heated handle option.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
physical size and ergonomics are a huge part. In residential tree work its hard to beat a 372xp with a 28 for use while climbing or in a bucket truck. I would never want a 390xp,661 or 500i with a 28" bar for how i work do to how big they are. it makes you have to bend you body in more awkward ways if you are swinging a much larger power head around all day in a tree even if its the same weight and will cut a little faster...

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
physical size and ergonomics are a huge part. In residential tree work its hard to beat a 372xp with a 28 for use while climbing or in a bucket truck. I would never want a 390xp,661 or 500i with a 28" bar for how i work do to how big they are. it makes you have to bend you body in more awkward ways if you are swinging a much larger power head around all day in a tree even if its the same weight and will cut a little faster...

372 isn’t bad in the tree (that’s what I’ve used the most). 7900 kinda sucks. I like the lightest saw possible for climbing. Bar weight and ease of start are also super important. 462 and 500 kind of rule the roost right now. Almost everything I’ve done with a 500 could have been done with a 70cc. I think it would shine with a 32” light bar.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If i was still in the tiimber business
For a 70cc saw
Any day of the week I'd buy a couple of new 372 oe's off of paveen
And have them ported they would serve anything I'd come across cutting timber in wv.
Parts availability for probably ever
The computer saws just don't have guy's i know buying multiples to run for businesses
To pricey
But the guy's i know have parts stashed from different generations of saws
Like the 371/372 and jonsereds/redmax versions.