What are you reading?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Point me in the right direction for "The Complete Sherlock Holmes". I am searching, and "complete" doesn't always mean "complete" according to some of the reviews.
It is a two volume set that has everything A Conan Doyle has ever written about Holmes and Watson. I’ve had mine for decades. Each volume probably has 400-500 pages.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a two volume set that has everything A Conan Doyle has ever written about Holmes and Watson. I’ve had mine for decades. Each volume probably has 400-500 pages.
^^^
Here's the answer.

Point me in the right direction for "The Complete Sherlock Holmes". I am searching, and "complete" doesn't always mean "complete" according to some of the reviews.

I'll see if I can find mine, and shoot you a picture.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I go through spurts where I will read a certain topic/genre for a while and then quit again. As a “wildlife professional”, I read all of the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box. It’s a fictional series about a Wyoming game warden that is always getting into some sort of predicament that’s a little far fetched. His other books are pretty good as well.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screenshot_20230518_191107_Gallery.jpg
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward".

Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have read most of these & listened to others on audiobooks as I usually have a lot of seat time.

Midnight Riders: The Story of the Allman Brothers Band

Cash : The autobiography of Johnny Cash

Anything by C.S Lewis, Tom Clancy & Clive Cussler

Most of Dan Browns books

Most of the James Bond novels

Most of Stephen Coonts books

Rush Limbaugh: The Ways Things Ought to Be & See, I Told You So

The Jules Vern Collection

The Dark Night of Recovery : Stories from the Bottom of the Bottle.

Came to Believe

Ronald Reagan : An American Life

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> This whole AI age is a little on the spooky side

What they have done and what they are about to do, is worse then most people can comprehend OR imagine.

Unfortunately, I can not post about it in public here because it would draw the wrong kind of attention and reactions both from human and non-humans.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone who's read a history book knows history repeats itself.

btw, this is a good one:

View attachment 378199

Sad but true.

> This whole AI age is a little on the spooky side

What they have done and what they are about to do, is worse then most people can comprehend OR imagine.

Unfortunately, I can not post about it in public here because it would draw the wrong kind of attention and reactions both from human and non-humans.
Again, sad but true. It's not good at all.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 378158
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward".

Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956
I don't recall seeing this book on any Top 100 lists. I wonder why with all of the high reviews, the Nobel Prize; and, considering some of the books I have read on the "lists" are not that great...

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recall seeing this book on any Top 100 lists. I wonder why with all of the high reviews, the Nobel Prize; and, considering some of the books I have read on the "lists" are not that great...
It came out in '73. But I didn't hear about it till recently myself. It's a long read, but it's something to absolutely needs to be read. It gives you first hand information about the horrors and danger of communism.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finished Fahrenheit 451 awhile back; it's ok. Then I started and finished "The Diary of a Young Girl; The Definitive Edition" by Anne Frank. I think it is a treasure. It is different because it is a diary; I had never read somebody's diary before. Anne was an amazing young girl with a gift and love for writing and expressing herself. I highly recommend it...

Can't decide what to read next. Sherlock Holmes is sounding good...

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In 2012, Guinness World Records listed Holmes as the most portrayed literary human character in film and television history, with more than 75 actors playing the part in over 250 productions.[3]

Ray Bradbury - “Burroughs is probably the most influential writer in the entire history of the world”!

in my opinion two of the best fiction writers to ever put pen to paper. Just finished an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel copywrited in 1912.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just picked these up at Barnes and Nobles. Story about the car industry in the 50's and 60's. And a idea book for our vacation later in September. IMG_20230701_121656391.jpg