What are you reading?

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve read every Raymond e feist book. He’s one of my favorite authors. You might like the Peter v Brett books. And Patrick rothfuss, he wrote 2 books in a series that were great. Then he stopped. I’ve been waiting for the next one very impatiently but don’t have much hope now. First two are well worth the read though.
ill check out peter v brett. started into some branden sanderson. not sure how i like his stuff quite yet.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Michener’s Alaska at the moment.
Just finished “The Jungle” by Sinclair. It puts life in perspective.
I‘ve read both of them in the past but it’s been a while.
I tend toward the classics but enjoy military history as well.

I’ll look into Lions of Medina.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't say western books with out saying louis l'amour.

I used to read his books. But have not for more then ten years.
If you like them a bit "racier" try some of the 400plus Slocum series by 'Jake Logan' (3 writers over the years).

Publisher: Playboy.

Edit: Found #1 in a 2nd hand bookstore once. Don't think it'll ever be truly collectable, but I grabbed it for the novelty value anyway.
20230503_065227.jpg

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd have to dig through my bookshelf again, but also
Thirty seconds over Tokyo
Band of brothers
The things they carried.
First 2 are WWII the third, Vietnam.
You might like the book called G.I. Joe & Lillie: Remembering a Life of Love and Loyalty. By Joseph Bonsall. One of the oak ridge boys singers. It's based on the lives of his parents.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really enjoy books written by Pablo Yoder. There story's based on the lives of real people. And some of them are his personal experiences in the mission field.
Did you know Pablo passed away last October? There is an interview, his last one, I want to watch when I have time...

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you know Pablo passed away last October? There is an interview, his last one, I want to watch when I have time...
No, I was not aware of it. That's sad to hear. Thank you for informing me. I've had one of his books for about 22 years now.
Are you talking about the one from the end of September? An hour and six Minutes? Yes that would be a very interesting interview.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> Anybody read any books they really liked?

The Condor Legion by Ballantine. As someone that wanted to be a history professor, I found that book very informative. Though I first read it over 40 years ago, I still read it from time to time.

The Encyclopedia of Britannica, I really liked that. I read it cover to cover. It was I think the 1940s version, about 26 big books. Again, read it over 40 years ago. I still have it somewhere I believe.

I have read several Bibles cover to cover. The large print Companion Bible stands out because of the excellent appendix section, I really liked that book. I no longer have mine, but, for anyone that does, look at appendix 50, page 50, and if you do not understand how it is the parable of the fig tree, I can explain it to you in e-mail.

The Apocrypha by Goodspeed I liked. Probably will soon read that again.

The Book of Enoch by Andy McCracken I liked. I printed a copy for a neighbor from Ethiopian that speaks Ge’ez since he had never read it.

The Passover Parable by Larry D. Harper, I REALLY liked because it helped me under the parabolic pantomimes.

I am currently reading cover to cover:

The 1599 GENEVA BIBLE, Patriot’s Edition, by Tolle Lege Press.

I REALLY like this book and it is turning into my favorite of all time. I find the footnotes informative and amazing. I try to read that first thing in the morning before getting out of bed for the day.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't say western books with out saying louis l'amour.

I used to read his books. But have not for more then ten years.
I think I’ve read everyone of his. Most twice or more.
Right now Favorite Son. 3rd book in the Terminal List series by Jack Carr. One of the best authors I ever read was Vince Flynn. May he RIP! Another was Robert Ludlum.
I also try to study the Bible daily.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> Anybody read any books they really liked?

The Condor Legion by Ballantine. As someone that wanted to be a history professor, I found that book very informative. Though I first read it over 40 years ago, I still read it from time to time.

The Encyclopedia of Britannica, I really liked that. I read it cover to cover. It was I think the 1940s version, about 26 big books. Again, read it over 40 years ago. I still have it somewhere I believe.

I have read several Bibles cover to cover. The large print Companion Bible stands out because of the excellent appendix section, I really liked that book. I no longer have mine, but, for anyone that does, look at appendix 50, page 50, and if you do not understand how it is the parable of the fig tree, I can explain it to you in e-mail.

The Apocrypha by Goodspeed I liked. Probably will soon read that again.

The Book of Enoch by Andy McCracken I liked. I printed a copy for a neighbor from Ethiopian that speaks Ge’ez since he had never read it.

The Passover Parable by Larry D. Harper, I REALLY liked because it helped me under the parabolic pantomimes.

I am currently reading cover to cover:

The 1599 GENEVA BIBLE, Patriot’s Edition, by Tolle Lege Press.

I REALLY like this book and it is turning into my favorite of all time. I find the footnotes informative and amazing. I try to read that first thing in the morning before getting out of bed for the day.
The Companion Bible is the best version of The Bible I own. If you can find it, I think you would be interested in the 13th Tribe by Arthur Koestler and Judah's scepter Joseph's birthright by JH Allen. They are on Amazon.
@ JB-PlantHeirloom

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worth recommending lately
Eye of the needle ken Follett. Loved it. Spy book. But a good one

Helmet for my pillow was decent ww2 read
A painted house John Grisham pretty good
The fisherman was a sorta suspense horror book that I did like

Eye of the needle blew all these away though. If you dig a regular Ol good read give it a go

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not complicated or difficult reads but the stories of White Fang, Call of the Wild and Where the red fern grows are ones I've like since I was a kid.
In fact, it's Bern a while since I've cracked any of those open, might just do that.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not complicated or difficult reads but the stories of White Fang, Call of the Wild and Where the red fern grows are ones I've like since I was a kid.
In fact, it's Bern a while since I've cracked any of those open, might just do that.
I've read call of the wild and where the red fern grows. It's been a while though.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GREAT author. I read A Time to Kill a long time ago, as well as Pelican Brief, The Client, and The Firm. I have not read any of Grisham's books after that. My wife reads a lot of his books.
The testament was really good
A painted house also very good. If you or she hasn’t read those two I’d recommend them.

I liked them both well enough to read this one I just started (a time to kill)

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I taught myself to read using the Bible.
Have read it probably close to 20 times now, still read it every day.

A few other books I have liked....

Ben Hur, (great book, minus the epic poetry parts).
Robinson Crusoe, (the real un-edited early version)
David Copperfield.
The complete Sherlock Holmes.
About anything written by Mark Twain.
Mission to the headhunters, by Frank drown.
Penrod.
Ten acres enough.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

David Copperfield.
Penrod.
Ten acres enough.
I’ve read the Complete Sherlock Holmes (both volumes) numerous times. Easy to pick up and read an individual story if you only have 15-30 minutes. Some of the classics are timeless. Just started Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan of the Apes for about the fifth time. I read it about every ten years. I use to have all 20+books in the series. But the first is the best.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

David Copperfield.
Penrod.
Ten acres enough.
Point me in the right direction for "The Complete Sherlock Holmes". I am searching, and "complete" doesn't always mean "complete" according to some of the reviews.