Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, I know...I have a backup plan but I intend to never need it.When it counts, around houses and such, which is usually, I change limb weight and put cable(s) in the tree. A lot less fun that trying sizwheels in the woods where it's not the end of the world if it goes wrong. Though occasionally I get to do some of that.

I was just pretty unimpressed with the story. Talk smack and then dump three over backwards? How do you profess to know something about dropping trees and lose 3? I've missed my lay by a bit here and there, but backwards?
Gotcha. I can tell ya that there are even days in the woods when I misjudged trees one after another. I actually walked out of the woods about 2 weeks ago and came home after about an hour of trees all going wrong. Some days cutting trees just mess with your head. I came back the next day and had a really good day - everything cut well and laid out how I wanted.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotcha. I can tell ya that there are even days in the woods when I misjudged trees one after another. I actually walked out of the woods about 2 weeks ago and came home after about an hour of trees all going wrong. Some days cutting trees just mess with your head. I came back the next day and had a really good day - everything cut well and laid out how I wanted.
I could see that logging lots of trees a day. I have a hard time imagining losing three in a row over backwards cuz you refuse to use wedges…

I do one tree a day, haha. Or maybe 4 a weekend…depends a lot on the situ. Size and access. One might be half a day or all weekend. I spend a lot of time looking at and planning each one for days before I drop it, and ask pro tree guys on forums first too. I try to plan for safety and no damage first, and then whatever saves the most labor or handwork/wear and tear on my body. The pro guys love it when I drop the limbs and then the stems on my trailer, ha!:cool: :DI ain’t picking all that crap up! It’s already up in the air, why would I drop it on the ground and then pick it up? :p

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, those limby trees you got are a lot like what I get, hard to judge. Straight pines like Woodslasher has? Eh…

…watch, now next time I go up there I’ll dump one over backwards instead of just teepeeing it, ha!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, those limby trees you got are a lot like what I get, hard to judge. Straight pines like Woodslasher has? Eh…

…watch, now next time I go up there I’ll dump one over backwards instead of just teepeeing it, ha!
When they are in the woods, a lot of the time the crown isn’t very big, since they are competing for sunlight along with the rest of the neighboring trees.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, I know...I have a backup plan but I intend to never need it.When it counts, around houses and such, which is usually, I change limb weight and put cable(s) in the tree. A lot less fun that trying sizwheels in the woods where it's not the end of the world if it goes wrong. Though occasionally I get to do some of that.

I was just pretty unimpressed with the story. Talk smack and then dump three over backwards? How do you profess to know something about dropping trees and lose 3? I've missed my lay by a bit here and there, but backwards?
These were all semi-rotten firs with decent opposing leans, I won't say I would have gotten them over where I wanted but up till then I was doing okay. It was a matter of him essentially cutting all the holding wood without giving the tree a reason to go opposite to it's lean. Unsurprisingly, the trees chose to fall along their lean instead of 180 degrees to it. I did not like cutting those trees as they were to the point of losing their structural integrity. If it had been near structures he would've done things way different, but since we were in the middle of nowhere he was just slapping a face on them and making a back cut to show the correct ratios.

Changing limb weight, cables, etc aren't used by all the non-pro guys I know, a machine pushing the tree is as close as they get. Since it's all in the middle of nowhere, 90% of the time down is good enough, mostly where you want it is what happens 99% of the time. Two days ago I set some chains 10' up in some maples so they could be pulled over, outside of that I've never used a chain or rope when falling a tree and I've never cut limbs out of one to change the balance. I've got a few trees waiting that I may try climbing, but if wedges and an excavator/dozer can't get it where I want it I just leave the tree alone.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If my county hwy dept had a position like that, I’d probably still be working there!
I bet, I'm trying to transition into retirement from here, and 50 this October. With 21 years, but actually almost 22 years of service. Then continue my outside tree work.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right or wrong, here’s what my stumps and trees look like most of the time:

1) Cut Notch
2) Plunge out heartwood, leaving hinge on each side
3) Bore parallel to notch, leaving hinge
4) Bore from other side, making sure to overlap
5) Cut “trigger” - Inside to Outside preferred, but can be done vice versa.
FB8487CC-0EE0-42EA-88B6-DCB0A5652A00.jpeg

Notice no heartwood fiber pulled:
5E038939-069E-4FAE-991B-47B0F4BED953.jpeg

Now just trim the excess:
1BDF6524-E337-484B-BE33-D939E36E54DF.jpeg
88EF50AE-DF40-4AB8-95D3-2BC33DE1CAC2.jpeg

All done:
BB6A389F-ACB3-4CCB-8A25-29557121F3F7.jpeg

Had to trim some root flare off this one too. This Red Oak was leaning slightly downhill, toward the notch. I didn’t have to steer this one much to avoid any other trees, etc. but this cutting method does well for me, even if I have to pull the tree against the lean some. But every cut has its limits and I’ve certainly found them before. Stay safe guys!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet, I'm trying to transition into retirement from here, and 50 this October. With 21 years, but actually almost 22 years of service. Then continue my outside tree work.
Sounds like a real good plan! Make it happen!

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
3:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just have little tree's here sub 4ft mainly is what I cut
What we do have is lot's of hillsides and multi flora rosebushes.
It's entertaining watching a friend of mine he's a climber I haven't climbed a tree since 1977
Used to be just about every time he has a tree job
He'd say I've got to climb it to get it down
*B-S.... he'll be like 200yds from a house or any structure or fence
And dress up in his little outfit and climb for no reason
I always give him hell.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right or wrong, here’s what my stumps and trees look like most of the time:

1) Cut Notch
2) Plunge out heartwood, leaving hinge on each side
3) Bore parallel to notch, leaving hinge
4) Bore from other side, making sure to overlap
5) Cut “trigger” - Inside to Outside preferred, but can be done vice versa.
View attachment 363414

Notice no heartwood fiber pulled:
View attachment 363416

Now just trim the excess:
View attachment 363417
View attachment 363418

All done:
View attachment 363420

Had to trim some root flare off this one too. This Red Oak was leaning slightly downhill, toward the notch. I didn’t have to steer this one much to avoid any other trees, etc. but this cutting method does well for me, even if I have to pull the tree against the lean some. But every cut has its limits and I’ve certainly found them before. Stay safe guys!
I like it. That’s what I’d do if I was cuttin there and not wanting to tear up the log. Makes me wanna go look at those ashes or whatever I cut from under the pine and see how they hinged or pulled or cracked or didn’t. I just faced and back cut them “normally”. With the pine leaning on them the back cuts started to open pretty quick. I might should have wrapped them to keep them from chairing. I wouldn’t have wanted to bore the back cut because I wouldn’t know how much wood to leave or not. Also, main consideration was not getting squashed, saving wood be danged.

some you’re-a-peeins on another forum sure go after the long bars rabidly. They say because the long bar is awkward and difficult to break down the tops with and that is the time consuming part of the logging job. They prefer the bar be half the diameter of the tree. To me it depends on the tree…branchy yard trees that are still tall even when down, I like a real small saw to break them down because lifting high jacks up my rotator cuffs. However, if the tree is down on the ground I’d just as soon have a 28” bar and not have to bend over…and also not have to do the Happy Dance all around the tree whilst bent over. They say they run the shorter bars and lighter power heads but I see some running 70-90 ccs with 20” bars maybe even 16”…overkill on the powerhead IMO…and not light to limb with.

Do you lay out a strip like on the west coast and try to drop them all the same direction? Or whatever works in between what you’re gonna leave and the lean, etc. (like Walt I guess)?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you lay out a strip like on the west coast and try to drop them all the same direction? Or whatever works in between what you’re gonna leave and the lean, etc. (like Walt I guess)?
I select cut. No strips here. All select cut on privately owned land. I typically cut 3, limb and top, then skid those 3 out (that’s all the machine can handle per turn). By then I’m out of fuel on the saw anyway, so fuel up at the landing. Head back and drop 3 more, etc etc.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We just have little tree's here sub 4ft mainly is what I cut
What we do have is lot's of hillsides and multi flora rosebushes.
It's entertaining watching a friend of mine he's a climber I haven't climbed a tree since 1977 u
Used to be just about every time he has a tree job
He'd say I've got to climb it to get it down
*B-S.... he'll be like 200yds from a house or any structure or fence
And dress up in his little outfit and climb for no reason
I always give him hell.
That's good:) funny

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like it. That’s what I’d do if I was cuttin there and not wanting to tear up the log. Makes me wanna go look at those ashes or whatever I cut from under the pine and see how they hinged or pulled or cracked or didn’t. I just faced and back cut them “normally”. With the pine leaning on them the back cuts started to open pretty quick. I might should have wrapped them to keep them from chairing. I wouldn’t have wanted to bore the back cut because I wouldn’t know how much wood to leave or not. Also, main consideration was not getting squashed, saving wood be danged.

some you’re-a-peeins on another forum sure go after the long bars rabidly. They say because the long bar is awkward and difficult to break down the tops with and that is the time consuming part of the logging job. They prefer the bar be half the diameter of the tree. To me it depends on the tree…branchy yard trees that are still tall even when down, I like a real small saw to break them down because lifting high jacks up my rotator cuffs. However, if the tree is down on the ground I’d just as soon have a 28” bar and not have to bend over…and also not have to do the Happy Dance all around the tree whilst bent over. They say they run the shorter bars and lighter power heads but I see some running 70-90 ccs with 20” bars maybe even 16”…overkill on the powerhead IMO…and not light to limb with.

Lot more kickback on those powerheads with 20 inch bars too. Can also limb and reach and cut more limbs from one side of the tree or walking it with a 32 or 36 inch bar. Well my opinion still is, if ots their preference that's cool:) one of the first things I was taught, avoid breakage avoid breakage avoid breakage. I wish I was standing g next to some strictly hardwood cutter loggers, to prove some methods. There's ways to do it and not break em, and pull tons of fiber. And my goodness what they waste in some high stumps. I high stump alot in tree work, and roadside stuff for safety or obsticales. But logging is a different story here low low low, and I can do it when needed. 28inch bar is pretty darn handy, I used some before I hurt my back, unfortunately had to give them up, because that slide forward lean after my back injury, was making me sore quick. These light bars are all I run anymore anyway for saw weight reasons, so weight isn't as much the factor as it used to be imo.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time I get a chance I’m gonna drop two trees, one with a stubby bar and one with a long bar.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
3:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not good but I try to be safe.

one member who helped me out was westboastfaller on as. Just some simple tips on how and when to go deep or shallow on a face cut. He explained how it changed the leverage of wedges. Just to have it explained the way he did was pretty good stuff. No one around here that I know really knows much about it.

crazy dude but I always liked him. Man knows how to kill trees. He gave me a few other tips that stuck in the memory bank Can’t recall all of what he said that stuck but the pivot point and leverage really stayed with me

sometimes I see guys doing extra stuff that I don’t agree with. I don’t say much but in my opinion keep it really simple fellas. Unless you work in the woods no need to try cute extra stuff. Just be safe

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not good but I try to be safe.

one member who helped me out was westboastfaller on as. Just some simple tips on how and when to go deep or shallow on a face cut. He explained how it changed the leverage of wedges. Just to have it explained the way he did was pretty good stuff. No one around here that I know really knows much about it.

crazy dude but I always liked him. Man knows how to kill trees. He gave me a few other tips that stuck in the memory bank Can’t recall all of what he said that stuck but the pivot point and leverage really stayed with me

sometimes I see guys doing extra stuff that I don’t agree with. I don’t say much but in my opinion keep it really simple fellas. Unless you work in the woods no need to try cute extra stuff. Just be safe
Thanks for the input I'm glad you had some good tips given to you, by someone knowledgeable. I agree.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a mistake yesterday lt could have cost me. 461 got hung up as I let a fir go.. I tried to get the saw free, couldn't and thought man I know better leave the saw and stump. Which I did and let the saw go. Point is I hesitated and knew better. Don't make that mistake.