Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a mistake yesterday lt could have cost me. 461 got hung up as I let a fir go.. I tried to get the saw free, couldn't and thought man I know better leave the saw and stump. Which I did and let the saw go. Point is I hesitated and knew better. Don't make that mistake.
Thanks for sharing Norm. I’m glad you didn’t get hurt.

Sharing close calls is an important tool that we can all learn from.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Know when to let go........

Third and last tree. All were 32-36 shag bark hickory this happened to be the smaller of the three. First two went like silk. The last one i was off slightly on my cut and the hinge was punky.

Completely and 100% my fault. Mistake #1 I didn't inspect the face cut wedge when I kicked it out. Mistake #2 I didn't check my chips mid cut. Didn't make mistake #3 I felt pressure on the bar. I let go and exited stage left. Got complacent and lost a saw. Greatful that was all.

No regrets about the saw either. Had a guardian angel as far as im concerned. Could have been bad.

0203231314.jpg 0203231314a.jpg 0203231320.jpg 0203231320a.jpg 0203231336.jpg

Steven

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Know when to let go........

Third and last tree. All were 32-36 shag bark hickory this happened to be the smaller of the three. First two went like silk. The last one i was off slightly on my cut and the hinge was punky.

Completely and 100% my fault. Mistake #1 I didn't inspect the face cut wedge when I kicked it out. Mistake #2 I didn't check my chips mid cut. Didn't make mistake #3 I felt pressure on the bar. I let go and exited stage left. Got complacent and lost a saw. Greatful that was all.

No regrets about the saw either. Had a guardian angel as far as im concerned. Could have been bad.

View attachment 363672 View attachment 363673 View attachment 363674 View attachment 363675 View attachment 363678

Steven
Screw that saw Steve. They are easy to replace

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Screw that saw Steve. They are easy to replace

Exactly. No hesitation here.

Have extra saws. Won't miss one. And definitely wasn't going to try and save one. Knew thing's were about to get real when I felt the pressure on the bar and had 4-6 in of what I thought were hinge left.

Plan was to cut about another inch or so and pull some on the winch line. But never made it that far. Very glad I had a cable on the tree and wedges on the back side. But the combination of slight hill, limbs and soft center....... Nothing short of a full pull over would have helped.

The cautions/ dangers of working alone.

Steven

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Have extra saws. Won't miss one. And definitely wasn't going to try and save one. Knew thing's were about to get real when I felt the pressure on the bar and had 4-6 in of what I thought were hinge left.

Plan was to cut about another inch or so and pull some on the winch line. But never made it that far. Very glad I had a cable on the tree and wedges on the back side. But the combination of slight hill, limbs and soft center....... Nothing short of a full pull over would have helped.

Steven
Stay safe buddy. Some would’ve tried to make a miraculous save. I leave them. If he gets mashed I’ll laugh at it. (The saw). I schooled my little cuz on that one because instinct tells you to pick up your tools. When it’s stuck you leave it. You did well

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for sharing Norm. I’m glad you didn’t get hurt.

Sharing close calls is an important tool that we can all learn from.
Tree work to me, is accountability to yourself, or you won't improve or live long. Imo usually the Ego guys wash out or die. Thanks for the kind words Amigo. Gotta see mistakes and push through and inprove.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven
Agreed, except saw wise I woulda cried if I smashed it lol! But yeah gotta drip and fly. And definitely agree with ya

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a mistake yesterday lt could have cost me. 461 got hung up as I let a fir go.. I tried to get the saw free, couldn't and thought man I know better leave the saw and stump. Which I did and let the saw go. Point is I hesitated and knew better. Don't make that mistake.

Agreed, except saw wise I woulda cried if I smashed it lol! But yeah gotta drip and fly. And definitely agree with ya

I had no idea you had just previously posted about your own near miss. I was a few pages behind.

Glad your saw had a better outcome than mine. I actually thought the way the tree came off the stump. The saw might have had a chance. But nope the thing got flattened like a pancake. Actually laughed a little and said man that sucks.... Ehh ohh well. I'll scab it back together eventually.

Was actually keeping that saw around just for harry/cautious cuts. Never thought the tree I was on would be the one to give a problem.

I'm going to be extra vigilant from here on out. No skipped steps or excuses.

Steven

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never thought the tree I was on would be the one to give a problem.

Nobody expects the tree that bites them to be the one. Trust me, that’s how I got my foot smashed and broken last year. It wasn’t even a big tree.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had no idea you had just previously posted about your own near miss. I was a few pages behind.

Glad your saw had a better outcome than mine. I actually thought the way the tree came off the stump. The saw might have had a chance. But nope the thing got flattened like a pancake. Actually laughed a little and said man that sucks.... Ehh ohh well. I'll scab it back together eventually.

Was actually keeping that saw around just for harry/cautious cuts. Never thought the tree I was on would be the one to give a problem.

I'm going to be extra vigilant from here on out. No skipped steps or excuses.

Steven
Agree no excuses:) darn man sorry about your saw

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody expects the tree that bites them to be the one. Trust me, that’s how I got my foot smashed and broken last year. It wasn’t even a big tree.

I helped pack a guy out of the strip in 2004 that was hit by a smaller tree - He fell a 17" Doug Fir into a brushy Madrone. It shot back, hit him in the chest, rolled over, and then pushed his head
into another Madrone. He made it and eventually recovered almost fully but never cut timber again, and he was never quite the "same" after that. Moving Timber can do strange things to a man.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I helped pack a guy out of the strip in 2004 that was hit by a smaller tree - He fell a 17" Doug Fir into a brushy Madrone. It shot back, hit him in the chest, rolled over, and then pushed his head
into another Madrone. He made it and eventually recovered almost fully but never cut timber again, and he was never quite the "same" after that. Moving Timber can do strange things to a man.
I’m glad to hear he made it. It always happens so fast.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys are giving me second thoughts about my hobby.

that ‘n Jed.
It’s no joke. My wife understands that each morning I leave, I might not come back. Of course I plan to die of old age, but tree work is dangerous. Period. There are a lot of things we can do to mitigate injury or death, but trees still remain unpredictable, and no 2 trees are the same.

Getting cocky, over confident, or simply thinking that it’s “easy” because a guy has tipped a couple over before, is the most dangerous place to be mentally when felling, removing, or trimming trees.