Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a new 40-2 here that came from our Stihl dealer when he shut down last fall after almost 5 decades. I have been going to try it out but have not done so yet. If it can run .130 without issues then that would be a great choice. It is a heavy head no doubt. I am just sick of the constant jamming. That was the beauty of a steel blade but a blade and T posts do not mix.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I get back to the house I will have to look up the 46-2

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always used the Stihl 25-2 heads and never had any problems. Like someone else mentioned it sounds like it is how you are winding your line. You have to take your time, don't overload the head, and keep tension on the line as you are winding it. I don't know if Stihl has the 25-2 heads anymore, but They are out there. https://www.amazon.com/4002-710-2191-AutoCut-Stihl/dp/B000O3HJ20
I wouldn't have known if I hadn't stumbled onto this thread, but that's the head on my KM90 trimmer attachment. It's been rock solid for me, all though it can be a bastard to wind when the arthritis flare up.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got it, bought it for a dollar and haven't had a chance to try it out yet

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using these same heads for 15 years. Line wrap doesn't need to be precise. Can count on one hand how many times I've had feeding issues with them. I burn trhough ~300' of line a year, non-commercially. Manual spooled. Takes all of 90 seconds. Don't fill them completely and they will feed perfectly. Echo crossfire line is currently used.

View attachment 422599
I suspect it is the same as my P35, but has a different thread

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just installed a new Stihl 30-2 Durocher head on a new Fa-131 bike handle trimmer I picked up on Monday. I put some .120 Stihl CF3 Pro pre cut pieces of line on it & it is definitely cutting much better than my FS-80 with .105 line. I’ve cutting some pretty heavy green vegetation with no problem at all. I have not gotten into anything dry or woody yet so I don’t know how it will handle that. I’m having trouble getting used to this trimmer. 3 tanks of fuel & it’s not really waking up yet. It cuts well but sounds like a LOT less RPMs than the FS-80. Wonder if there are any mods for it to wake it up a bit. Someone suggested removing the spark arrestor from the muffler. Not really sure if that would help or not.

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speed feed makes different sizes and they work. I have found that cleaning them every somoften and a shot of silicone spray on the insides makes them work very well.

alfack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have good luck with the speed feed. The plastic part that you bang the ground on to advance the line fails after a while, but those replacement caps are cheap.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just reread my post. It was a 20-2 Stihl trimmer head I put on not a 30-2 sorry about that.

JRHAWK9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using these same heads for 15 years. Line wrap doesn't need to be precise. Can count on one hand how many times I've had feeding issues with them. I burn trhough ~300' of line a year, non-commercially. Manual spooled. Takes all of 90 seconds. Don't fill them completely and they will feed perfectly. Echo crossfire line is currently used.

View attachment 422599

I use the T55x on my big forestry saw (555 RXT) when I want the string head. I use it with 4mm line.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the T55x on my big forestry saw (555 RXT) when I want the string head. I use it with 4mm line.

My trimmers are only packing 25cc's. That head is for the big boy toys!

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is the bearing on the button near the ground?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just installed a new Stihl 30-2 Durocher head on a new Fa-131 bike handle trimmer I picked up on Monday. I put some .120 Stihl CF3 Pro pre cut pieces of line on it & it is definitely cutting much better than my FS-80 with .105 line. I’ve cutting some pretty heavy green vegetation with no problem at all. I have not gotten into anything dry or woody yet so I don’t know how it will handle that. I’m having trouble getting used to this trimmer. 3 tanks of fuel & it’s not really waking up yet. It cuts well but sounds like a LOT less RPMs than the FS-80. Wonder if there are any mods for it to wake it up a bit. Someone suggested removing the spark arrestor from the muffler. Not really sure if that would help or not.
The reason you notice the RPM difference is the FS80 is a true 2 stroke and the FS131 is a 4 mix.

JRHAWK9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now compare a smooth button with a bearing to a serrated button without a bearing and how much resistance it offers

I don't have another string trimmer with a spool. The only other one I have is an old Echo that holds single strands.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The reason you notice the RPM difference is the FS80 is a true 2 stroke and the FS131 is a 4 mix.
Thanks Bill. Someone else mentioned that to me but I don’t really know what that means. Is it something they came up with that’s more durable because it runs slower or less pollution or better on gas?

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Bill. Someone else mentioned that to me but I don’t really know what that means. Is it something they came up with that’s more durable because it runs slower or less pollution or better on gas?
Afraid not. It's a 4-cycle engine that needs mixed gas since there is no oil sump. Mine has been trouble free, and it produces good torque, but it's a heavy *b-word and I won't be repairing it when it does fail someday.