Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is some what true but the mounts are cast in the av saws ,so I think you'll have to swap out the top end and keep your original oil tank to retain the av mount. If I'm wrong someone hopefully will correct me.

The CP55 and 70 chassis will work with any rigid mount 10 series blocks. You just need to drill and install an impulse nipple in the crankcase.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Duly noted and bookmarked, my friend. Thank you. That's about what I paid for one OEM NOS recently. I read somewhere that Saegenspezi in Germany was going to be (or are) reproducing an 1117 seal set. Problem with them is the continuing shipping restrictions to the States.

So do ya have a handy link to the bearing, too? LOL

FWIW, I've had very good luck with the Proline stuff from Sawzilla which has included both hardware and rubber parts.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not really certain what to do about that freak bearing .Only Stihl being Stihl would ever hatch a brain storm like that .I have bought only one from a dealer and that one set me back 35 bucks 20 years ago .The bearing had hung and spun in an 048 I got from a dealer in Oregon which was honest about it .I raised the metal in the pocket and used Loctite "press fit " compound which did the trick .As for the PTO side seal I have exactly one left in my parts supply and I have another 048 that needs it .BTW I never run out of things to fix ,just run out of time to do it . A BTW to a BTW .That first 048 I worked on was my first Stihl ever .It was a learning curve and I had no manuals of how to do it .

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first big saw was an 048.
Same here! I wanted a big saw on the cheap since forking over $1000 for a 372 wasn't in the cards. I got the first part, but that f-er was probably the most expensive saw I've repaired. The happiest day involving it was when I sent it off to it's new owner.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Same here! I wanted a big saw on the cheap since forking over $1000 for a 372 wasn't in the cards. I got the first part, but that f-er was probably the most expensive saw I've repaired. The happiest day involving it was when I sent it off to it's new owner.
Not mine. Still have them stashed away with a bunch of parts like NOS carbs, tank handles and such. I updated the ignition nightmare that they were and it was bad *b-word for a stock jug modified saw. The ignition made a huge difference on how my saw ran and started. I'd never use one again with the old two piece set up. It was a giant pia! My 084's have been flawless with the two piece set up.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks just like my sp70 wearing a Mac 20" 3/8
I got plenty of bars here in Stihl, all three mounts, small and large Echo and Husky. I'm good on bars. The 250 came with no bar.
Plenty of new rims in stock to fit small, medium, and large six or seven spline of 3/8 or 404. A LW or OEM 28" would be nice for it imo.

I've got universal mount Oregon bars that look like your modified Stihl bar in that pic. Most are 20" or less.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really need to refresh my memory on all the mounts here.
Husky and older Homie bars are plentiful in my stash up to 28"

Those studs looked bigger at a glance on my 250.
Maybe next week it can messed with it some.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As general conversation you can usually adapt nearly any bar to any saw but it takes some creativity .In the case of McCulloch a ten series bar doesn't have enough width in the heel of the bar to align with the oil hole and bar tightening hole with the larger saws like a 250,125c etc .My avatar saw, Homelite 2100S usually wears a 36" Stihl bar using home made adaptors .I might add a 36" bar on that saw is childs play .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are creative and have enough bars to be able to mix and match often times just changing the bar plates matches the bars up .Case in point the Partner P-100 which is also a Mac 1000 .If you use the bar plates from a Husqvarna 2100 a Husky bar will work .If you use the Mac plates a Mac 10 series works .With Mac 10 series bars it just depends on who made them .They all work on 10 series saws and may work on others .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll adapt bars to macs but I don't go for sloppy slots! If that bar is wobbling on the studs and you gotta crank down with Lou Ferrigno force to keep the chain adjustment its wrong.
A solid fit between the studs and bar will eliminate a higher possibility of cracking the bar pad in a pinch or kick back situation. I like the machined adapters and spring coils and tubing solutions that guys use but taking the time to do it tight is important.