MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother Ed passed away just a little after 4:00 PM today.

Mark
Lost my only brother in 2009 Mark.
Very sorry to hear this.
Prayers and condolensces sent your way.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm so sorry Mark, My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Scott Kelsey

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark,

My condolences to you and your family. I am very sorry to hear of this. May he rest in peace.

Scott

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally got the 850 back together with all kinds of new parts & today it was a runner! Still a bit more work to do beforer it can go into wood.I need to figure out how to put some sort of insert in the tank bolt that holds the front handle in place,it's stripped.I also need to change out the switch wire & cut down a chain from 84 DL to 81,& find a pair of bar stud nuts.thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I'm mistaken those 850 bar nuts are 5/16" 24 flange head .You want plain head not serrated .Flea bay or McMaster -Carr .They make them with a captive Belleville type washer if you can find them .I've seen the use of just plain nuts but eventually they chew up the cover .If I get time today I'll verify the thread count .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I'm mistaken those 850 bar nuts are 5/16" 24 flange head .You want plain head not serrated .Flea bay or McMaster -Carr .They make them with a captive Belleville type washer if you can find them .I've seen the use of just plain nuts but eventually they chew up the cover .If I get time today I'll verify the thread count .
Why do I need non-serrated?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the covers on a 250 were so chewed up I had to use fender washers under to get a grip .I found another cover on that deal . On that link Mark had the last nut on the page is similar to the captive Bellville except I can't find them .However at 5 bucks a pop kind of pricey .Plain flange would work .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now then more on flange nuts .The wide oversized nuts on many Stihls are also flange heads .Most saws these days are metric M8 but the wide head nuts won't work .For that metric flange head nuts were used on some Ford engines but they were deformed thread lock nuts .I must have tapped out a hundred of them before I retired .You don't want a deformed thread lock nut for a bar nut .Instead of chewing up the cover you wear out the bar studs after a time .Nutoligy so to speak .:)

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here I thought I was being clever.Back in the spring I bought a pack of 25 serrated flange nuts to use on my 10 series saws.Can I just grind off the serrations?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here I thought I was being clever.Back in the spring I bought a pack of 25 serrated flange nuts to use on my 10 series saws.Can I just grind off the serrations?

Sure, but unless you grind them perfectly square they will flex the bar studs everytime you tighten it. Eventually you will break a stud, oil tank, cover.

I'd just buy the right nuts.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It isn't a total lose you can use those nuts for another application .My shop 22 ,miles from the house looks like a hardware store .It's never a question of if rather where is it .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ground the serrations off holding the nut in a socket and rotating it against the side of the wheel on a bench grinder or disc sander. Lately I just chuck them in the lathe and turn the serrations off...then I found a source for smooth ones...

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ground 2 of the nuts down to remove the serrations like Mark said.I probably won't be able to put this old girl into wood till next spring,but I sure am looking forward to it.
My neighbor stopped by & I showed him the tank handle.He asked me if I knew anyone who had a sandblaster.I asked him hopw they'd just get on the inside & he told me they have a wand that they use.I told him that by the time it was finished being sandblasted it'd probably leak like a sieve.Not only that,the company he told me about that does it would most likely be cost prohibitive