MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the 805 yes it was a tad pricey because of my ignorance .It started out as a horse trading deal with another member for a new looking saw .Turns out it had bad chrome plating .I found a used cylinder from an 850 that looked good and put it back together and it ran good until I gave it a squirt from a prime bottle that had straight gasoline .That cooked it .Then I found a rough looking early model 850 relatively cheap and just moved the engine into the 805 Things happen some times . Some times you get the bear other times the bear gets you .Saying that the saw runs good and very easily handle a 32" bar buried in oak running skip chisel .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of the fuel tank on my 850.The entire tank is like that as far as I can feel;.Now,does anyone here feel I had a legitimate gripe,or would you side with the seller & say I'm "knit-picking"?This was after I soaked it in vinegar for 24 hrs.& then put a bunch of nuts in it & shook it around for about 5 min.
thumbnail.jpg

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was on the inside of the muffler of the 850.I think it was a crude attempt at making a baffle.
thumbnail.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of the fuel tank on my 850.The entire tank is like that as far as I can feel;.Now,does anyone here feel I had a legitimate gripe,or would you side with the seller & say I'm "knit-picking"?This was after I soaked it in vinegar for 24 hrs.& then put a bunch of nuts in it & shook it around for about 5 min.
View attachment 345004

Was sending it back an option?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was sending it back an option?
Nope.He was nothing but a damn liar & BS artist.He said he's been selling saws for over 25 yrs.& never had a complaint until me.With his track record I find that hard to believe.I told him that the evidence would be in the pics I took.He said he put fuel in it & it fired right up.How can someone not notice the condition of the fuel tank when putting fuel in?Also,I always check to make
sure there's a fuel filter in the tank before I go firing up a new to me saw.
That's OK,lesson learned.I'm getting all the parts I need to go through the saw & have it run again.It may not look like the prettiest saw on the block,but it'll be a good runner.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm curious,when a PM 850 was new,what was the compression on it? (in psi)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to remember in essence you are buying a pig in a poke .Somebody a thousand miles away and you never see the item before you buy it .As I've said don't pay too much or use somebody you trust .If you get hosed don't buy from again. It's that simple .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That flea bay stuff only once has anybody tried to play flim flam man with me .It was a Mac Mc Brick pm 610 on the cheap .I made the mistake of telling him what was wrong with it .After three weeks nothing so I messaged him and no refund no saw ..I had to explain to him what postal fraud was because in those days I used postal money orders and kept the stubs .I gave him 72 hours to provide a shipping number or else it was not only flea bay it was the US Post Office .I got the saw . BTW flea bay suspended later him for other less than honest business practices . I might add the old 610 last I heard is still in Michigan cutting firewood for my deceased wife's nephew . Ugly things but damned near bullet proof .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That flea bay stuff only once has anybody tried to play flim flam man with me .It was a Mac Mc Brick pm 610 on the cheap .I made the mistake of telling him what was wrong with it .After three weeks nothing so I messaged him and no refund no saw ..I had to explain to him what postal fraud was because in those days I used postal money orders and kept the stubs .I gave him 72 hours to provide a shipping number or else it was not only flea bay it was the US Post Office .I got the saw . BTW flea bay suspended later him for other less than honest business practices . I might add the old 610 last I heard is still in Michigan cutting firewood for my deceased wife's nephew . Ugly things but damned near bullet proof .

I remember the days of sending money orders for eBay purchases. Those where the days of bargains!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was in the days before hustlers I'd imagine .The pot lickers have a way to get into everything these days .Example the first of the Partner p-100's I bought was first on one of the forums and the guy got frustrated with my inquiry asking questions .So I waited until he put it on flea bay and actually gave his original asking price plus paid the shipping .I could have got it through the forum cheaper except I had that gut feeling .Moral of that story is once again know who you are dealing with . With me some people I trust and others I don't .

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id say we all get taken now and again. I bought a mcculloch saw off ebay one sunday morning for 50 bucks us shipping and taxes. It was a 10-10. Looked good but it was a great deal so i failed to research it much before buying it now. Week and a half go by and i got a box in the mail. Things seemed fishy from the get go, but my fault for not doing my part. I tried to cancel it nearly immediately....as soon as i did it was marked shipped?? Tried to contact the seller to no avail. The box was small yet heavy...i thought this is not good. I did laugh....it was a piece of concrete. So i contacted the seller and requested a refund for the scam. Immediately he offered a partial refund. I mean instantly. I declined. He instantly accepted it upon delivery. I responded that i would wait the 2 weeks the ebay requires and go thru them. He instantly offered another partial refund. I repeated my reply of 2 weeks. Contacted ebay. It took 4 wreks but i got my refund. I was out the mo ey for return shipping. Do your research fellas. It was a funny lesson learned. My wife and 2 girls laughed a lot. I did too actually but it was a painnin the butt

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id say we all get taken now and again. I bought a mcculloch saw off ebay one sunday morning for 50 bucks us shipping and taxes. It was a 10-10. Looked good but it was a great deal so i failed to research it much before buying it now. Week and a half go by and i got a box in the mail. Things seemed fishy from the get go, but my fault for not doing my part. I tried to cancel it nearly immediately....as soon as i did it was marked shipped?? Tried to contact the seller to no avail. The box was small yet heavy...i thought this is not good. I did laugh....it was a piece of concrete. So i contacted the seller and requested a refund for the scam. Immediately he offered a partial refund. I mean instantly. I declined. He instantly accepted it upon delivery. I responded that i would wait the 2 weeks the ebay requires and go thru them. He instantly offered another partial refund. I repeated my reply of 2 weeks. Contacted ebay. It took 4 wreks but i got my refund. I was out the mo ey for return shipping. Do your research fellas. It was a funny lesson learned. My wife and 2 girls laughed a lot. I did too actually but it was a painnin the butt

That is pretty funny Vinny! Most people would have just taken the partial refund and left good feedback!!!

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was the principle at that point. This guy was a pro scammer. He knew exactly when to hit what button and the perfect responses. I even mentioned to the seller that i could see he was a professional scammer and i would no longer respond to him. Id just wait it out. Upon seeing it had been delivered i still had to contact ebay customer service and prove to them thru tracking and messages that the item was returned. Once that was proven my refund was near instant. Of course i reported the seller to ebay. And life went on. I thought about sending a big cow pattie in the box. But the seller had my address and i have a wife and 2 little ones....and these days some people arent all that stable. So i just played by the rules. Lesson learned..but it was funny. After the fact

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was the principle at that point. This guy was a pro scammer. He knew exactly when to hit what button and the perfect responses. I even mentioned to the seller that i could see he was a professional scammer and i would no longer respond to him. Id just wait it out. Upon seeing it had been delivered i still had to contact ebay customer service and prove to them thru tracking and messages that the item was returned. Once that was proven my refund was near instant. Of course i reported the seller to ebay. And life went on. I thought about sending a big cow pattie in the box. But the seller had my address and i have a wife and 2 little ones....and these days some people arent all that stable. So i just played by the rules. Lesson learned..but it was funny. After the fact

I live on principle, absolutely. I would have done the same thing.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live on principle, absolutely. I would have done the same thing.
Me too, but I would have found a different block that was almost the same. Just in case he took it out of his foundation, and was going to put it back. Just to mess with him...LOL

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I drive a hard bargain but I don't put the screws to anybody .Those who choose to do that to me will only do it once . I figured it out a long time ago .A man or woman for that matter is only as good as their word. BS artists for humor is one thing but no good liars and cheats I will not associate with .