MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea she’s pretty clean very low hour saw . Thanks bud .
Hopefully not TOO clean and you get to cut some trees with it. It is an incredible saw to use when you consider the age of them. Probably some of the best anti- vibration.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like most small towns in the Midwest, our town of Dike has it "days"...this weekend is our "Watermelon Days". I try to be a good citizen and small business owner so I put an entry in the parade. My granddaughter rode along to help throw candy and keep a watch for the errant kid running out in the street to retrieve candy tossed out buy the float in front of me.

299126198_10104666558142253_6355896750756630487_n.jpg

20220812_121625.jpg

20220812_121711.jpg

Right in front of my building were the belt sander races.

20220813_113440.jpg

Some of the contestants get very involved in their projects.

20220813_113507.jpg

Mark

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like most small towns in the Midwest, our town of Dike has it "days"...this weekend is our "Watermelon Days". I try to be a good citizen and small business owner so I put an entry in the parade. My granddaughter rode along to help throw candy and keep a watch for the errant kid running out in the street to retrieve candy tossed out buy the float in front of me.

View attachment 346000

View attachment 346001

View attachment 346003

Right in front of my building were the belt sander races.

View attachment 346004

Some of the contestants get very involved in their projects.

View attachment 346005

Mark
When will we see the Mac powered sander take to the stage?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to see Bob Johnson yesterday to buy a lot of Homelite parts that we'd talked about before he had his heart attack.It took the better part of 2 months to get a driver lined up who could take me who had a truck..I know that's breaking Bob's heart to see it all go.Fifty yrs.of building it all up to see it all go in a matter of days.He's very frail looking,I almost didn't know him when I saw him.Two yrs.ago he had salt & pepper hair yet at 80,today he was all white haired.He had to have Joan guide him from the house to the shop over a grassy area where he fell in Feb.She said she thought he might've had a mini stroke at that point.He used one cane to help himself get around after his bout with bone cancer 10 yrs.ago,but now he has to use two canes.He didn't know who I was at first,then after Joan & I told him who I was he kinda started coming around.He still had his humor which was good.We said our good byes & Joan told me to keep in touch,I said I would.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple of years ago on Craigs list a Mac 800 came up and somebody on here expressed an interest .It was 14 miles from my home but I backed off until he had a peek at it and he bought it .No big deal to me because I have a shed full of saws and don't really need any more . I was just glad somebody got it who would appreciate it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every so often you can find them ,little or no usage .So far mine has been one of the last 10-10's ever made, an 805 with bad chrome and an SP 105 that had sat decades in a repair shop in Wisconsin with a broken recoil .Kind of like a barn find 1937 Harley knuckle head or a 55 Chevy somebody left stock . Run them every so often to blow out the cob webs and put then back on the shelf .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had big hopes for building a 650 from parts & a 610 as well,but I found out yesterday that I'm going on the cutting block on 9/20 for my 5th back surgery.It seems that I'm so powerful that I can break titanium screws,Lol.I've been going through hell with the pain since May 2020,but because of the pandemic it was put aside because this was considered an "elective" surgery.I beg to differ on what they consider to be an elective surgery.I'd consider a face lift,or a tummy tuck to be elective,but not broken hardware in one's back.I went through pure hell with the last back surgery 3 yrs.ago.I had to wear a wound vac for over 2 months,had an intraveinous antibiotic that I had to administer to myself twice a day,& had visiting nursers come to pull a 7 cm.sponge out of the incision as it got smaller.I almost pissed myself with the pain from that,but it got progressively better as I healed.The original surgery was on Oct.9th & I had to go back in & have it cleaned out & the wound vac installed along with a PICC line 6 weeks later.
I suppose the 650 & 610 builds can wit till next yr.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe Mark H.considers the PM380 one of the biggest PITA Mac saws to work on.I bought one by mistake last winter & haven't really even touched it yet.Someday......

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe Mark H.considers the PM380 one of the biggest PITA Mac saws to work on.I bought one by mistake last winter & haven't really even touched it yet.Someday......
I know I do.:)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really don't know but assume some of these models came about after the real McCulloch circled the drain .If so it's a classic use of a name like also Homelite became on many items .Basically riding in on a name with less than quality products .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not so bad to work on, but rather disappointing once you get them running. At least that was the case with the PM430.

View attachment 346758

Mark
I'm not overly impressed with the build quality, I'll say that up front.
Got the fuel inlet fitting epoxied right now.
Had one of those Irish Marvel Shebler Tilly carbs with the plastic snap on(off) inlet fitting that cracked.
Soaked the carb. Diaphragms still felt decent. Will find out soon.
Definitely not a fan of the single bar stud that also functions as a case bolt, and will fall out if something isnt put behind it. I'm assuming it had a retainer ring of some sort at one time, but thats long gone. Now it has a 5/16" bolt with jam nuts thats held in by the recoil cover.
I found out the hard way that the nuts were needed to keep the bolt from falling over into the flywheel when its running.
Now I have to get the flywheel off the parts saw that dad has. Broke a fin clean off.