MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I generally like to put hands on a saw thats over 200.00 $. Some compression guages vary wildly and I bought one very cheap sp81 which felt good but the piston smeared the cylinder.
That being said I've sent more then 2 presidents too reputable folks on here, but some people still have integrity as part of their life.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what the beast looks like.

For reference, I purchased a running ProMac 850 in somewhat nicer condition for $200 within the past year, also out west. However, if you pass on this one, please let us know. I'm sure someone will try to pick it up more locally.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finished up on the 850 purchase last night & found out that it doesn't have the adjuster screw assembly.I did some searching on Feebay & almost fell out of my chair at the ridiculous prices they want just for a screw.The cheapest was $13,the most expensive was over $31 + shipping.I called Woody Strohmen,but he was driving,so he couldn't take any order from me.I hope this saw doesn't turn out to be a money pit,or an all around PITA.
Another thing I've noticed is the price of guide bars has skyrocketed.The best price on a 28 in.bar is at Frawley's at $77,but they're out of stock there.
We as a country never had such problems when we weren't so reliant on everyone else in the world.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO the recent prices for nearly every saw related items prices are sky high .They aren't any less expensive on forums than flea bay .If anything higher .As for most McCullochs I have plenty of parts so it doesn't affect me .Many of those once non running Macs were freebies .Most of them however do run but they sit so long it's often a job to fire one up .I fought a war last couple days with a super 44A and it won the battle .However sitting for 10-12 years I shouldn't expect less from it .Not to worry ,I'll win ,I always do .

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally talked with the 125's owner, he said he doesn't want the one with the funky decomp (CP is all mine!), but he wants a black tank/af cover. I've got the tank off the parts saw, but I'll have to source either a CP cover for my CP or a black cover for his 125. I pulled the mufflers on the saws last night, yellow saw had a wallowed hole for the loner muffler bolt and some kinda sketchy carbon scoring, but still runnable. CP is lightly scored but still not bad, but the muffler needs some work as at least one cover screw pulled through. Parts saw has a mint top end, so I'll plan on building the parts saw into my buddy's saw. Plus, I picked up the 1-82 from him today, but only to fix it as he may end up keeping it.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I finally talked with the 125's owner, he said he doesn't want the one with the funky decomp (CP is all mine!), but he wants a black tank/af cover. I've got the tank off the parts saw, but I'll have to source either a CP cover for my CP or a black cover for his 125. I pulled the mufflers on the saws last night, yellow saw had a wallowed hole for the loner muffler bolt and some kinda sketchy carbon scoring, but still runnable. CP is lightly scored but still not bad, but the muffler needs some work as at least one cover screw pulled through. Parts saw has a mint top end, so I'll plan on building the parts saw into my buddy's saw. Plus, I picked up the 1-82 from him today, but only to fix it as he may end up keeping it.
Ya know if you keep it long enough he may just change his mind,Lol.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the items uncovered this week.

69241 is the piston assembly for the CP125. I also have a few 69242 and 69243 oversize piston assemblies.

20220726_105756.jpg

10 Series fuel line, I have a PM10-10 I'll hopefully get to next week and will try one out to see how they fit.

20220726_141807.jpg

20220726_141815.jpg

This is the "collector" used on the large frame top tank saws to catch any spitback and redirect in back into the carburetor.

20220727_164735.jpg

We also uncovered some more 62813 piston rings, not the standard bore 62814 for the10-10 but +0.020 rings that can easily be filed down for a proper fit on the standard bore cylinders.

My grandson has been helping by running the computer...checking part numbers, letting me know if we already have some on hand, deciding where to store the new parts, and even helping me put them away in order.

20220725_135157.jpg

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a PM 850 on FB from a seller that I bought from before (PM55).I waited in great anticipation for it to show up & it arrived late on Fri.Boy,was I ever disappointed! The fuel tank is so pitted & corroded that it's basically trash.The moron who owned the saw had tried to do some "handiwork" on the fuel line.I've seen this before on my 10-10S where they cut the existing line & inserted it into another bigger line,then attached it to the carb.It might work if the fittings were airtight,but it sucked air on the 10-10S which caused the piston to be scored to the point that it needed replacing.I'm hoping & praying that the 850 piston doesn't suffer the same fate.Supposedly the compression came in at 150 psi.It had the wrong spark plug in it which was the least of my concerns.I'll have to say that this is by far the filthiest saw I ever bought.The recoil is missing the sawdust screen & won't retract the rope unless the 3 screws that hold the top of the recoil to the body of the recoil are loosened.I pulled the recoil off & must've dug about a 1/2 in.of crud out of the recoil itself.The ignition modulethumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg looked like it was missing because it was covered with so much crud.I'll need to find a different tank handle & tear the saw apart for a thorough cleaning.When I contacted the seller about the condition of the saw he told me I was "knit-picking".He said he put fuel in the saw & it fired right up.There was no fuel filter in the tank & one can clearly see the corrosion.There were some other minor things like the adjuster screw was missing & an improper size bar stud nut was on one of the bar studs.The minor things I can handle,but my main concern is the condition of the piston & cylinder due to the botched fuel line.Live & learn.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned up the Powermac 380 that I found in a dead saw pile a few months ago.
They DID NOT intend for anyone to work on these apparently.:confused:
No captive nuts on the AV bushings, NOTHING is easy to get to or service.
Muffler was loose, so I took it off, cleaned it, made a gasket out of header gasket material, and put it back on.
On a good note, the piston and cylinder look nearly mint.

While I was cleaning it, I accidentally blew part of the casing gasket out at the oil tank. I then discovered that the bar stud is just a 1/4-20 bolt that goes all the way through, and serves as a crank case bolt.:mad:
Thus the reason for blowing out the gasket. It was loose because the bar was off, and I didnt put the nut back on and tighten it to hold it together.
Got some Dirko squished in there. Hoping it holds. Can see it inside the oil tank, so fingers crossed.
It cleaned up fairly well.
0731221635.jpg 0731221635_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Lnk

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a PM 850 on FB from a seller that I bought from before (PM55).I waited in great anticipation for it to show up & it arrived late on Fri.Boy,was I ever disappointed! The fuel tank is so pitted & corroded that it's basically trash.The moron who owned the saw had tried to do some "handiwork" on the fuel line.I've seen this before on my 10-10S where they cut the existing line & inserted it into another bigger line,then attached it to the carb.It might work if the fittings were airtight,but it sucked air on the 10-10S which caused the piston to be scored to the point that it needed replacing.I'm hoping & praying that the 850 piston doesn't suffer the same fate.Supposedly the compression came in at 150 psi.It had the wrong spark plug in it which was the least of my concerns.I'll have to say that this is by far the filthiest saw I ever bought.The recoil is missing the sawdust screen & won't retract the rope unless the 3 screws that hold the top of the recoil to the body of the recoil are loosened.I pulled the recoil off & must've dug about a 1/2 in.of crud out of the recoil itself.The ignition moduleView attachment 344793 View attachment 344794 looked like it was missing because it was covered with so much crud.I'll need to find a different tank handle & tear the saw apart for a thorough cleaning.When I contacted the seller about the condition of the saw he told me I was "knit-picking".He said he put fuel in the saw & it fired right up.There was no fuel filter in the tank & one can clearly see the corrosion.There were some other minor things like the adjuster screw was missing & an improper size bar stud nut was on one of the bar studs.The minor things I can handle,but my main concern is the condition of the piston & cylinder due to the botched fuel line.Live & learn.
She definitely looks like a handful Ed. Sometimes it's better to get a return policy in place for just such a situation.
Before I got my 800 I was poking around and was gonna pull the trigger on one from an AS seller ,but they were being reluctant to send intake pictures and thought I was being picky! Guess what I passed on that one.
Guys know the inflated prices of the 82cc saws and dont mind burning bridges selling them on other sites, buying from guys on here has turned out to be my best bet for a good rebuild or runner as far as online purchases.
I hope it turns out well for you sir.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After a period of time I assumed every saw I bought over the internet had something wrong with it .Thus I bid or offered a low ball figure which they either accepted or rejected .Recently with inflated prices I don't even bother any more .As far as the 82's I have two running and one that will if I find some parts but I'm not going to pay Rolls -Royce prices for chainsaw parts .As far as saws of any brand my interest is only for rare or able to be easily modified . I've got a shed full .Some are hot runners and some are boat anchors .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore the 850 down to the short block today.I pulled the muffler too to find that I got lucky on the P&C,no scoring at all! It needs a new pulse line,air filter,rear handle brace grommet,tank handle,port boot,possibly front & rear AV mounts if possible,& of course a new fuel line & filter & fuel tank handle.By time it's said & done I expect to have close to $600 or more into this saw.Oops,can't forget the carb rebuild.It's got a Walbro on it,I think an SDC 38A

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didnt want to leave you guys all out...a few weeks ago i bought a sp80 engine off ebay. Turns out its a sp81. It was in great condition so i decided to build a saw out of it. I had nearly.all the parts so i started. This time i took video of the whole process i did putting it.together. there are several videos and ill post another step tomorrow or the next day. It was fun. Heres the link. Yes i know its all backwards, mirror imaged. I dont have a camera other than phone and the hder i used made me use the front camera on rhe phone. Lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think all told I had about $400 in the 805 with an 850 engine .Had it not been so nice I would not have done it . The two Partner P-100 /Mac 1000 around $400 in both .Had they not been rare I wouldn't have done it .Often times these saws are either freebies or real cheap and I normally don't have more than $50 in the parts .Then again finding the parts might take a long time .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore the 850 down to the short block today.I pulled the muffler too to find that I got lucky on the P&C,no scoring at all! It needs a new pulse line,air filter,rear handle brace grommet,tank handle,port boot,possibly front & rear AV mounts if possible,& of course a new fuel line & filter & fuel tank handle.By time it's said & done I expect to have close to $600 or more into this saw.Oops,can't forget the carb rebuild.It's got a Walbro on it,I think an SDC 38A
I think all told I had about $400 in the 805 with an 850 engine .Had it not been so nice I would not have done it . The two Partner P-100 /Mac 1000 around $400 in both .Had they not been rare I wouldn't have done it .Often times these saws are either freebies or real cheap and I normally don't have more than $50 in the parts .Then again finding the parts might take a long time .
How long ago did you do your 805 Al? If it was more than 4 or 5 yrs.ago that was a bit pricey by the values back then.If recently you did good.Today's inflated prices makes it hard to acquire parts at a reasonable price,plus 4-5 yrs.ago parts were more plentiful.You could still get condensers & rings for a 10-10. I've got an experiment that I want to do soon.I bought a Homelite condenser,actually a Phelon made for as Homelite,& I want to put it in a Mac saw.As you know,all Macs used Phelon condensers.The Homie condenser has the same mounting as the Mac condensers.I mentioned this to Bob J.& he wanted to hear notyhing about it.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I played around with the 850 recoil today & found that if I tighten one particular screw then it'll bind.I'm wondering if it's downright imperative to have the sawdust screen in it in order for it to work properly.If that's not the case,I might have to put a spacer,like a washer or two in between the actual recoil mechanism & the housing.Getting the boot back in is perplexing me.I think I can get by without getting new AV mounts.I had to get a new mount for my DE80 when I was working on it last yr.& I gopt it from Bob J.for $20.I'm sure they're not that cheap anymore.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would anyone be able to confirm that the crank seals for the 797 and Super 797 are the same?

Or, a 797 IPL with part numbers on it would do just as well.

Thanks

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would anyone be able to confirm that the crank seals for the 797 and Super 797 are the same?

Or, a 797 IPL with part numbers on it would do just as well.

Thanks

Tim - The regular 797 and Super both show the same part numbers for seals in the respective IPLs.

I actually use Chicago Rawhide/SKF 6640 on the PTO side and 6620 on the flywheel side.

Attachments

• Super 797 - IPL 83411 Apr 1969.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • Model 797 - IPL 66267 Feb 1967.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 0

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tim - The regular 797 and Super both show the same part numbers for seals in the respective IPLs.

I actually use Chicago Rawhide/SKF 6640 on the PTO side and 6620 on the flywheel side.

Thanks Jacob. A friend has a 797 that needs them. I figured they would likely be the same as a CP as well and they are but I would hate to steer him wrong.