MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the glory days of two cycle karting I think a shop in Azusa California was the leader of the pack . I had often mentioned Kenny Burden of Waynesfield Ohio was number one several years in a row and a member of the Talladega hall of fame .He passed a few years back and I wished I had talked to him more of what they did to those Mc 10's .
I've got the bones of a Mac super 44 which is only 80 cc's but I'm not certain if it's got the channel where you could cut in the other ports .Back burner project thing .Even at that I'm not so certain it could run with a modern hopped up 80 cc saw .Only one way to find out I guess .:)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That mention of the little Homelite I have one ,the double trigger deal .Had a bad condenser .The points and condenser on those are made as a unit .I found a small condenser and repaired it .It's a little bitty trim the apple tree in the back yard type of saw but they sold a zillion of them for around 90 dollars . Retired shelf queen .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I'll be having another neck surgery coming up in the next few months & I'll have lifting restrictions of no more than 10 lbs.I was trtying to figure out how I could still work on saws & with working on that little XL yersterday it hit me.I've got a ton of XLs,Super 2s,& a couple small Macs that I can work on that are all around 10 lbs.or less.With the Macs I've got 2 PM510s & a couple 110s to fiddle with.I did one of the 510s a couple yrs.ago.I had the little rascal running,then it just up & quit on me,no spark.I'm prtetty sure the condenser died.I was thinking of putting a chip in it,but then trying to figure out where to put it.The mini Macs are so danged compact in there.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The little Homelites and mini Macs you have to "deshell " them to get to anything .Same for the early Stihl 020 AV .As far as the condenser if it has one any that will fit in the space limitations will work .Their only job in life is preventing the spark from jumping over the points and not like a battery ignition where it needs to be matched with the coil voltage source . I've used Mac 125 condensers on a little Homelite and an Autolite battery coil condenser from a model TO 20 Ferguson on an antique Wico model X mag on a John -Deere tractor . Most condensers IE capacitors are foil wound with paper insulation saturated in oil within a metal capsule and the capsule leaks out the oil and they fail . I've never tried it but would not be surprised if a ceramic cap used in electronics type stuff might work in a pinch .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got that 10-10A that had the dinging like a dinner bell clutch issues running today.I found out last week that the whole problem was with a loose flywheel.I put another Woodruff key in it today & put a flange nut on top of the flywheel & really tightened it down.I pulled it over & had no dinging.I then put an SDC3 carb on it,gave it a prime & it fired right up.I did some minor carb tuning & was quite happy with how it turned out.I need to modify an air filter bracket,put on an air filter & cover & put on a bar & chain.I'll get pics of it on here when it's finished.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just read on Yahoo News this a.m.that

California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
Asher Notheis
Sun, October 10, 2021, 1:46 PM·2 min read
In this article:
61219f21b8b8c4d2fb7106de3b3b9e22

California took another step toward its goal of ridding the state of all gas-powered engines thanks to a new bill signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Saturday.

The new law will ban the sale of all off-road, gas-powered engines, including generators, lawn equipment, pressure washers, chainsaws, weed trimmers, and even golf carts.

What say you all to this BS?I say they're grasping at straws.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,I've got a pair of 2-10s that I got about 3 1/2 yrs.ago for $15 each.The one saw was complete,minus the air filter,& had a bullfrog carb.I pulled the carb off & the tank handle.I plan on putting a PM 10-10 tank handle on it,but I'm running into a problem with the DSP.The DSP is missing on both saws & as far as I know it's NLA.I was thinking of tapping the boss & putting a blot with JB Weld on it to keep it in.A friend of mine told me to just put the JB Weld in & be done with it.I'm concerned that the JB Weld would just blow out since there's nothing for it to adhere to (no threads).Advice please.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quite frankly you don't need a decomp on a saw that size unless you wanted one .You might try using a pipe plug providing you used a tapered pipe tap on the hole of what ever plug it was which come in both metric and national pipe standard sizes .You won't blow that out .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The actual opening into the cylinder is quite small so the resulting force on the plug will be pretty small. Look at the spring the closes the DSP valve, it is not really all that stiff. If you can clean the bore out thoroughly I think you would be fine with the JB alone. Do warm up the block and the JB Weld so I will flow into the small hole, put a piece of tape over the hole in the cylinder to keep the JB from extending into the bore.

The DSP on the early 10 Series is not threaded like the later "pop up" style compression buttons. The DSP uses a steel piston and a lever/spring arrangement to lock it in place.

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes,Al,I'd like to eliminate the DSP entirely.I see no need for it on a 54cc saw myself.The 10-10 a & all the other 10-10s that followed didn't have a DSP.Why they decided to put one on the 2-10 is beyond my comprehension.

Mark,I've looked at the DSP opening quite extensively & know that there are no threads in it.So what you're saying essentially is that I should disassemble the engine so that the cylinder is completely off the piston when I put the JB Weld in the DSP boss,otherwise it could go in too far & end up causing damage to the piston & possibly prevent it from reaching TDC.It's a little bit more involved than I'd planned on,but can be done.As long as I'm at that point,would it be worthwhile to put new rings in?What should the end gap be to warrant replacing the rings?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check compression before you take it apart, if you are 125 PSI or above I would just reuse the rings that are in there. The piston for the 2-10 does not have locating pins for the end gaps so the service manual says 0.006" minimum and get this...0.017" maximum. Obviously a smaller gap will produce more compression so if your gap is over 0.010" it might be worth replacing the rings even if the compression is O.K.

Standard rings are 62814.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might have confused the IPL .The one I looked at in the big black book I thought showed a thread in decomp on the 2-10 which I've never seen .However if I 'm not mistaken the 3-10 showed a popit type valve . I do know my 6-10 which is 70 cc's has a popit that became frozen and inoperable. .It's got real good compression but doesn't pull over that hard .Runs like a scalded ape --a little enhancement you know----:)

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might have confused the IPL .The one I looked at in the big black book I thought showed a thread in decomp on the 2-10 which I've never seen .However if I 'm not mistaken the 3-10 showed a popit type valve . I do know my 6-10 which is 70 cc's has a popit that became frozen and inoperable. .It's got real good compression but doesn't pull over that hard .Runs like a scalded ape --a little enhancement you know----:)

Next time there is a gtg around you that you will attend, let me know Al. You bring your 6-10 and I'll bring mine and we'll run them head to head. For science and stuffs... ;)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can say is there is something about that saw I just can't put my finger on as to why it runs like it does .After I get off the light duty list recovering from a blow out around November I'll light that thing off and exercise it in some big dead hickory I need to chunk up for fire wood . It's been a few years since I've heard that little thing roar . I think I stored it with a race chain which I'm not going to attack a hickory with ,took me too long to file it .I'll hang a 20" on it with round chisel .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A story of course is in order .I took the parts from several carbs for the little McCulloch and cobbled together one .I can't remember exactly what they were but the choke opening was larger than the throttle end .It evidently acted like a Vee stack .At any rate the choke butter fly was held in with a brass screw which I neglected to peen after assembly ,forgot all about it .Damned if it didn't get swallowed and hung that thing up .On the tear down crossing my fingers hoping for the best ,no damage dodged the bullet .--peened that thing this time . Things happen .
Funny part is it's been so long I can't remember if that engine has an open exhaust port or a bridged port .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to pick up a 99 (two man saw) today and the seller took me to a local implement dealer to see about getting a diaphragm...no diaphragms available but the owner was ready to move out all of their McCulloch/chainsaw parts as they have been out of the saw business for some while. It will take me a few days at least to go through everything and figure out what I have and get it all put away.

20211014_131240.jpg

I forgot to take any photos of the 99...

Mark

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went to pick up a 99 (two man saw) today and the seller took me to a local implement dealer to see about getting a diaphragm...no diaphragms available but the owner was ready to move out all of their McCulloch/chainsaw parts as they have been out of the saw business for some while. It will take me a few days at least to go through everything and figure out what I have and get it all put away.

View attachment 312438

I forgot to take any photos of the 99...

Mark

Very cool score Mark - especially getting the parts bins with that stuff, that's always a good bonus.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, I made an agreement with the owner that I would bring it all in tact like that since the parts were sorted by part numbers in the bins...I will return the bins once I get them unloaded and put away in my own organizers.

I have a little space still open in the attic...

20210605_190100.jpg

Mark