MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al & Steve,I also have a Super 6-10A.This is a true you suck story- In Feb.2019 I bought a load of saws,mostly Homelites,but there were a few Macs in the load.Among them was a DE80 that was involved in a nasty accident.As far as I could figure the DE80 must've been unsecured on a load of wood & the operator must've been tooling along at a pretty good clip & off it went,breaking both handles & the chain brake.The saw was used very little,so I parted it back together this yr.I think with the bar & chain & new chain brake I might have around $220 invested.
The 2nd part of the you suck story is the Super 6-10A that came in the same lot.The air filter cover & air filter were missing & the muffler was broken off at the duct.I didn't even know what model it was till about 2 weeks after I had it.I saw the brass ID tag in the carb box that was littered with bird droppings.I looked up the 6000# & almost fell out of my chair when I found I had a Super 6-10A.I hurried back out to the garage & checked the saw for spark,it had spark.Next I put a shot of fuel in the carb & it fired up! Loud as all hell with that broken off muffler,Lol.I got an air filter & cover off eBay for $25 & a muffler from Bob Johnson for $40.I never had to pull the carb for a rebuild,just some fine tuning.I have about $100 invested in that saw with the 20 in.bar & chain.Get this - I bought the DE80 & the Super 6-10A for $5.32 each! I got 47 saws for $250.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I posted earlier,I got the 10-10A that had the problem with the dinner bell ringing in the clutch drum.I solved that problem & got it running last week.Today I put a 16 in.Oregon bar & a good used chain on it.Here are some pics.

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 3

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It 's quite a study of design on the 6-10 .If memory serves it has three staggered transfer ports on each side plus a windowed piston .Really if you think about it it was light years ahead of any other saw design during that period of time .Later designs like the 700 for their size do well too but I've never found another that equaled a 6-10.
Years back at a GTG near Meadville Pa that had a bunch of collectors we used this saw to test out peoples attempt of filing a race chain .I had a good running SP 81 and in cant's the 6-10 would walk away from it .Like I said before it's just a big kids toy to me .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This talk about a 6-10 if you go to chainsaw collectors corner on Google and search the brands ,under McCulloch , 6-10 not 6-10S that's my saw .It's all dolled up with paint and believe me it's not all that nice any more though not bad .Fresh paint might make them look spiffy but doesn't have any thing to do with how they run --just saying ---

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It 's quite a study of design on the 6-10 .If memory serves it has three staggered transfer ports on each side plus a windowed piston .Really if you think about it it was light years ahead of any other saw design during that period of time .Later designs like the 700 for their size do well too but I've never found another that equaled a 6-10.

There is a valid case to be made for the 7-10 simply being a LH start 6-10 until around the time it changed to electronic ignition on its way to becoming the PM700.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly don't know what if any thing is different in the 6-10, 7-10 and 700 except the solid state coil on the later .Of the three I've owned every one at one time or another but never delved into a 7-10 .The other two I have .Fact I saved a 700 with a needled case using a junker parts saw .Two for one deal so to speak .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I'd post this here as well as in the Want Ads section.I'm looking for a "guard assembly" (actually a flywheel cover) for a S44A.I've tried Bob Johnson & Discount Marine all to no avail.Part # 28644B.I tried the cover from a 1-70,it fits,but that damn tall flywheel nut prevents it from being bolted on.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a valid case to be made for the 7-10 simply being a LH start 6-10 until around the time it changed to electronic ignition on its way to becoming the PM700.

Nope, the early 7-10 with a lever dsp valve and iron bore was a lhs 6-10. All the chrome bore 7-10 with poppet valve dsp were the true full blooded 7-10 that everybody raves about. Most all 7-10 chrome bores have points ignition.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly don't know what if any thing is different in the 6-10, 7-10 and 700 except the solid state coil on the later .Of the three I've owned every one at one time or another but never delved into a 7-10 .The other two I have .Fact I saved a 700 with a needled case using a junker parts saw .Two for one deal so to speak .

The 700 is closer to a 7-10 than a 6-10. The 700 was electronic ignition only as far as I know. They have a chrome bore only and are more of a long bar torque machine. If you put an equally mechanical healthy 7-10 vs a 700 you will notice the 7-10 is quicker all day long 20" and smaller hardwood but the 700 has the edge in bigger wood.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run the neighbor's 7-10 with a fresh p/c and its very impressive, his bar was sh¡t though, I'm pretty sure that it would walk away from my strongest 700 even with a 24 to 28. It could be the fresh motor but that thing was STOUT.
I'm very impressed with the 700s also, when all things considered, I have cut and dropped a bunch of lumber with mine and wouldn't hesitate to put one in production use with a fresh motor , it hangs with most saws in its class and is alot tuffer.
Anything over 24" I go for the 82cc macs.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the early 7-10 with a lever dsp valve and iron bore was a lhs 6-10.

Well, we agree on that much. (You should be ashamed of yourself.) LOL

Actually Steve, you're generally right in this case. I should have specified 'earlier' 7-10. That said, there were still a boatload of iron bore 7-10s produced before the chrome bores and well before the electronic ignitions -- which obviously didn't occur until later as you pointed out, so my bad there. And there were some early PM700s with points too, btw.

And the debate will linger between the 7-10 / PM700. Didn't know there was ever really much of one between the 6-10 and 7-10. But do I now detect the subtle beginnings of a 7-10 vs. 7-10 debate about which is a truer/stronger variant? Really? Easy, now. :eaea:

Just grab the one with the sharpest chain and go cut wood.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a comparison a few years ago I was bucking big ash in 95 degree weather with a helper alternating between a 700 Mac and a modified Stihl 038 mag .The 700 did just fine but in that heat it would either vapor lock or the ignition over heated .That model of Stihl was well known as a hot weather saw and never failed but the Mac had to cool a bit before it would start up .
Fact being in that weather I had to cool myself .Drank at least 5-6 bottles of ice water and never peed once ,that's hot .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run the neighbor's 7-10 with a fresh p/c and its very impressive, his bar was sh¡t though, I'm pretty sure that it would walk away from my strongest 700 even with a 24 to 28. It could be the fresh motor but that thing was STOUT.
I'm very impressed with the 700s also, when all things considered, I have cut and dropped a bunch of lumber with mine and wouldn't hesitate to put one in production use with a fresh motor , it hangs with most saws in its class and is alot tuffer.
Anything over 24" I go for the 82cc macs.

Not dogging the 700 at all! Never had a new cylinder either. New pistons and rings and the works but in good used cylinders. Both the 700 saws I redid were late black and decker saws if that has any weight to it? But hands down I'd still call the 7-10 the best of the 10 series.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a comparison a few years ago I was bucking big ash in 95 degree weather with a helper alternating between a 700 Mac and a modified Stihl 038 mag .The 700 did just fine but in that heat it would either vapor lock or the ignition over heated .That model of Stihl was well known as a hot weather saw and never failed but the Mac had to cool a bit before it would start up .
Fact being in that weather I had to cool myself .Drank at least 5-6 bottles of ice water and never peed once ,that's hot .

Peed 7 or 8 times that night?:risas3:

God love you Al!:)

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, we agree on that much. (You should be ashamed of yourself.) LOL

Actually Steve, you're generally right in this case. I should have specified 'earlier' 7-10. That said, there were still a boatload of iron bore 7-10s produced before the chrome bores and well before the electronic ignitions -- which obviously didn't occur until later as you pointed out, so my bad there. And there were some early PM700s with points too, btw.

And the debate will linger between the 7-10 / PM700. Didn't know there was ever really much of one between the 6-10 and 7-10. But do I now detect the subtle beginnings of a 7-10 vs. 7-10 debate about which is a truer/stronger variant? Really? Easy, now. :eaea:

Just grab the one with the sharpest chain and go cut wood.

Nothing with McCulloch is ever set in stone.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not dogging the 700 at all! Never had a new cylinder either. New pistons and rings and the works but in good used cylinders. Both the 700 saws I redid were late black and decker saws if that has any weight to it? But hands down I'd still call the 7-10 the best of the 10 series.
Agreed, as far as fast and easy to handle.
Need to get mine back together.
This guy I know sent me the ring awhile back, and some crank seals if I remember right.:)

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well fellas,I picked up a 1-70 off Feebay the other day.The seller was asking $150 or MO,so I offered him $135.The saw looked complete & didn't look top be in bad shape.I got the saw today & was going to do the preliminary check on it for compression & spark,but when I pulled the recoil it didn't engage on the pawls.I took the recoil off & found it had no pawls at all,Lol.Lucky thing for me I have another 1-70 thaty's seized,but it had a good clutch with pawls.Funny thing was I pulled that clutch off about 2 weeks ago before I ever laid eyes on this one.The newer 1-70 is covered in oily dirt.The air filter looks like it was never cleaned & is covered in oily dirt.On the good side,the air box is spotless,so I guess the filter did it's job.The saw came with a 20 in.bar & an Oregon 62.like new 404 chain.I'll start playing around with it tomorrow & see how far I get with it.I'll get pics on here ASAP.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Peed 7 or 8 times that night?:risas3:

God love you Al!:)
Actually after everything was done my helper nearly fell into the house with his tongue hanging out like a dog .He said to my deceased wife he could not believe a guy over 60 had out worked him .Mean time I sat on my patio under a beech tree and drank 4-5 beers ---then I peed .BTW you can only rent beer .:)

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update on the 1-70.I put the other clutch on it today & the recoil worked just fine.I gave it a shot of fuel in the plug hole,but I had to change the plug that was in it - a DJ6J (Lol) & it fired right up.I can only get it to run on a prime.I don't feel it's a carb issue,but rather a wick filter in the tank issue.I'll let it set with fuel in overnight & see how it goes tomorrow.
This saw inspired me to get my 1-75 out of the back shed that I've had for almost 4 yrs.now.The recoil is missing the spring & a few other parts,but is in great shape for it's age.