MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
McCulloch quite frequently put the smaller carburetors on the bigger saws, and bigger carburetors on the smaller saws. The 2-10's and the CP70's were frequently fit with the bigger SDC carburetors, and bigger saws including the SP125 had the smaller ones, often with the fixe jet to prevent the operator from running the saw excessively lean.

You do not get the satisfying high revving scream with the fixed jet carburetor, but the saws will work just fine under load.

Mark
So I put the SDC from a 1010A on my 7-10A, after I found some throttle shaft play in the Tillotson that was on it.
Seems to tune out just fine. I'm assuming thats ok, as it 4 strokes out of the cut as it should, and idle etc is fine.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frank - the 840 is a one man, gear drive saw and the 940 is a two man saw with gear box/transmission on the front. I would guess from the paint job that the cylinder/crankcase have been replaced. The 940 @ 103 cc would be a light upgrade from the 840 @ 99 cc.

In either case, you need to be sure and strap it to something solid as you will not be able to hold it back.

Mark

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frank - the 840 is a one man, gear drive saw and the 940 is a two man saw with gear box/transmission on the front. I would guess from the paint job that the cylinder/crankcase have been replaced. The 940 @ 103 cc would be a light upgrade from the 840 @ 99 cc.

In either case, you need to be sure and strap it to something solid as you will not be able to hold it back.

Mark
That is pretty well what I had figured, but didn’t realize the blocks may have been interchangeable.
Very nice!
Can you tell who made the winch?
I’m not sure who did. I have only seen one on the interwebs that look like it...but no information with that photo.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice!
Can you tell who made the winch?
That is pretty well what I had figured, but didn’t realize the blocks may have been interchangeable.

I’m not sure who did. I have only seen one on the interwebs that look like it...but no information with that photo.

I think it's a Nielsen winch. I had one just like 20 years ago, but sold it when I got a Lewis winch.

They were pretty common back in the day on larger Mac and Homelite power heads. The Homelite 770D was a popular model for those winches.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's a Nielsen winch. I had one just like 20 years ago, but sold it when I got a Lewis winch.

They were pretty common back in the day on larger Mac and Homelite power heads. The Homelite 770D was a popular model for those winches.
You always have such good info!!

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad had a winch like that on a Homelite back in the 80s. They also had a aluminum canoe they cut in half so they could put a elk in it and pull them out of the woods. Said those winches pulled like crazy, about as fast as you could walk alongside a elk being pulled up the hillside.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The SP saws are all anti-vibe models, the PM700 is a rigid saw. Performance wise, I think the 7-10 and SP70 are ahead of the PM700.

Mark

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've about finished with the sp81 I brought home. Got the muffler in the sandblaster and put some paint on it. Turned out alright but you can still see some pitting on the lower part of it. I swear it had more rust than the bed of my 83 toyota pickup. The reed was still in fair shape, very minimal surface rust. Riddle me this, why do you folks suppose black and decker went away from this design and put those silly mufflers on the pm800 thru 850 saws? The muffler on the pm805 i had was the goofiest thing.
5675cfd832da78cc4f1ee2edffbdddee.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, this was the only ad after i got my SP81s in a full year, so i really want these, who know how much ill have to wait for another one heh.

I already have one complete SP81 in parts, which i really want to fix , but bastard needs a complete engine block (crank goes knock knock), cylinder is worn right through the plating, bar stud holes are destroyed... hopefuly i could mix some parts.

Guy says parts are mostly there, just some "details" missing, so we'll see.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They couldn't make up their mind what kind of muffler to use .The best in my opinion is the one with a curvature on the bottom then straight out the side .I've yet to see a reed type that the reed wasn't frozen ,rusted so it could not possibly work .That mess of screening on the later model 850 and 805 I never could understand .Maybe to hush it down on noise I guess ?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion from a design stand point the 10 series McCullochs had a very bad design of air filtration .It's not out of the ordinary to see the lower portion of piston on the intake port side to be scuffed . Regardless of that if the upper portion of the cylinder in the ring travel is not screwed up they seem to operate okay .I would not get stingy with the oil though .

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Facebook Marketplace sellers are THE WORST. period.
Im literally trying for 3 DAYS to get some information about how many parts are there left and what the hell am i actually buying, now he says that theres no much left of another one....