fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks!
As i know cylinder is "B", chrome plated, i guess it need soft ring.
Cylinder is in inches, which would result in 52.3 mm diameter, but i can only find 52mm rings, would they fit? That is locally.
Found this on https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Rings-50-8-52-64-mm-2-000-2-072-in-/400324530531 , actually is not too expensive with shipping 11$.

He's good guy to deal with. Best bet would be to email him on his site and he will give you some measurements to take on the piston and get you the right rings.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 87854 rings used in most of the 82 cc saws were thin steel rings (0.022"?) The same rings were used regardless of the A, B, or C piston used. There were some early SP80 saws that used a different piston and thick rings but like most things McCulloch, the piston/rings/cylinders list that Tim posted contains some errors that they never corrected in 9 years, in fact the last list I have dated 1982 shows different numbers than the earlier lists, but again has mismatched pistons and rings noted. I will try to remember and look at the 97791 piston I have to see if it is the thick or thin ring version. I think the 85245 rings were the thick rings.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those Cabers on flea bay are cast iron .Thinking out loud if they are too thick they could be ran through a surface grinder and thinned .I did just that for an Indian motorcycle decades ago .
Being cast iron they will wear in over time .Might work, might not .

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking out loud if they are too thick they could be ran through a surface grinder and thinned.
Best i can do is an angle grinder and some paint :D

The 87854 rings used in most of the 82 cc saws were thin steel rings (0.022"?)
They are indeed really thin, and as i remember they were much more springy than cast iron ones, but i never thought why would steel rings be used on chrome plating, nikasil is much harder, yet cast irons are used.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look on the McCulloch chart you might notice the 101 kart engine and both the cp 125 and the 125 C all use the same tool steel piston rings .So there you have it, two iron lined cylinders and one chrome plated .
Regarding the sp 81 etc if you can find OEM rings for same they want more for a set than an entire piston assembly after market .
I have a back burner type of rebuild project of a Mac 805 I managed to cook the piston on and have found sooner or later, often when you least expect it the parts will show up .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In this discussion you have to look back in time .At the time of actual hard chrome lining it was prior to hard nickel alloy the source was Rhodesia .However with political conditions at that time that source was cut off and the grade of actual available chrome was inferior .Things like chrome on automobiles slowly became a thing of the past .
Weather hard chrome is as good as nickel alloy has been long debated as is nodular iron .The later is still being used in aluminum block automobile engines .
As with piston rings .As a rule cast iron will "seat in " faster and is a viable option .Tool steel might last a little longer .If you are handy around a machine shop you can make rings .You can Google it if you like .I have two sets for a Mac 125 partially done as a matter of fact .I failed to finish them because I found a new OEM set from Mike Acres .

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What’s up guys I just picked up a McCulloch Mac 15 today and I was wondering if anyone knew of an after market clutch bell and bearing that would work in place of stock. Also the air filter, if there is something aftermarket I can use. I can get the oiler part I need, and I’m pretty sure the parts will eventually come up. But I will eventually need another filter or clutch bell, and would like to find something readily available. Also I think it is a bushing not a bearing but would like to change to a bearing if possible. Also on the bar can I throw any bar that is proper size for the chain or do I have to stick with certain kinds because the age of the saw. Thanks

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s up guys I just picked up a McCulloch Mac 15 today and I was wondering if anyone knew of an after market clutch bell and bearing that would work in place of stock. Also the air filter, if there is something aftermarket I can use. I can get the oiler part I need, and I’m pretty sure the parts will eventually come up. But I will eventually need another filter or clutch bell, and would like to find something readily available. Also I think it is a bushing not a bearing but would like to change to a bearing if possible. Also on the bar can I throw any bar that is proper size for the chain or do I have to stick with certain kinds because the age of the saw. Thanks

I have a complete 15 with bar and chain if you want it. Shipping would be expensive to the west but its yours if you cover shipping.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple stray Mccullochs walked into my shop the other day. The left one i'm thinking
was an 895 but now has the 797 motor in her, The other is a nice 77, Both i running
condition and really nice shape. Also a bunch of 77 parts and another 77 saw was in
the whole package. Both saws you can see with the H&S felling dogs. Gives both saws
the cool factor. I have bars for the 797 but need to find a nice bar for the 77.

IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0690.JPG

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 77 is a neat saw. I ran Mark H's 77 some time ago. Slow for sure and you have time to watch your boots get buried in chips.

Was that at Baraboo, WI? I know he used to do well in the gear drive class there
with a 77. Bill Gorham would run a Homelite 3100 and just beat Mark H. this is
a few years ago.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was that at Baraboo, WI? I know he used to do well in the gear drive class there
with a 77. Bill Gorham would run a Homelite 3100 and just beat Mark H. this is
a few years ago.

That was at a 2015 GTG at CBfarmall's place in Indiana. I'm not sure what pitch chain Mark @heimannm had on the 77. Maybe 9/16"?

I've never had the pleasure of attending the GTG at Baraboo.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think 9/16 was very popular on those saws, I need to check the sprocket
and see what it is. No wonder he was leaving a pile of chips at his feet.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My uncle had a model 77 Mac .Heavy and slow .It must have had an air vain governor because you could hook the dawg and lean on it hard and it never slowed down ,just got louder .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No governor on the older McCulloch saws. At 120 cc they were pretty strong, with the gear drive they could produce a lot of torque.

Tim, that saw had a 9/16" pitch chipper chain at that time, the chain was in bad shape with cutters broken off and others deformed. I replaced it with a 5/8" pitch chisel chain and roller nose bar from one of the Remington finds if I recall correctly.

DSC05225.JPG

We had a good time at that GTG before the thunderstorms boiled up again.

IMG_0732 (640x480).jpg

Mark