MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add on that thing if it has 1/2" chain and it is okay fine .If not you can find the .404 spurs for them which pop up on flea bay from time to time . Being a gear reduction type ,trust me you won't use it much
Those old gear drives are not the fastest but with a good chain will chew through anything .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This little Mini Mac 6A came out of a country dump.

I thought I would prime it to see if it had spark and it fired up and kept on running.

It kind of shocked me. 1/4" chain (I think) in nice shape.

The saw is in decent shape for a nearly 50 year old saw.

It's raining out so crappy vid attached

DSCF4336.JPG DSCF4337.JPG DSCF4338.JPG

Last edited:

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you . I will start looking into it when I get back home Friday. Gonna kill me to know it's sitting there and I can't mess with it cause of working out of state. Updates and more questions to follow.
Look forward to seeing what you find! It looks a little dirty but the paint seems like it's in good shape. Like Al said you might be surprised. A good cleaning and you may have a slick old saw! It definitely looks like it's in better shape than the one I have out in the shop. Mine is very crusty and is going to take some elbow grease! I know a fella that can spin up a loop of 1/2 inch nos chain for ya if need be.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look forward to seeing what you find! It looks a little dirty but the paint seems like it's in good shape. Like Al said you might be surprised. A good cleaning and you may have a slick old saw! It definitely looks like it's in better shape than the one I have out in the shop. Mine is very crusty and is going to take some elbow grease! I know a fella that can spin up a loop of 1/2 inch nos chain for ya if need be.

I haven't looked into it at all. Chain looks pretty decent on it. Know the bar is 25". Does the choke lever not lock when you depress it?

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope it doesnt, you have to hold it. The old super 44 and 55, 1-70, 1-80 and a few others are like that.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
42 - Hold the choke closed and throttle open with your left hand, pull the starter with your right hand. It helps to have the saw laying over a log or on a bench...after you give it a thorough check over. You will find a large felt wick/filter in the fuel tank, hopefully it is not laden with old, stale fuel or varnish.

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This little Mini Mac 6A came out of a country dump.

I thought I would prime it to see if it had spark and it fired up and kept on running.

It kind of shocked me. 1/4" chain (I think) in nice shape.

The saw is in decent shape for a nearly 50 year old saw.

It's raining out so crappy vid attached

View attachment 241621 View attachment 241622 View attachment 241623
That one is way nicer than the one I rescued from a scrap pile. Doesnt look like yours has been used much. I found mine and a PM6A sitting side by side. They both have 1/4" chain. Look to be in decent shape.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That one is way nicer than the one I rescued from a scrap pile. Doesnt look like yours has been used much. I found mine and a PM6A sitting side by side. They both have 1/4" chain. Look to be in decent shape.

Mine came with a PM 6 as well but it's in rough shape. Broken parts.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 241970

Never even had fuel in it and I sold it...

Mark
That would be akin to having a loaded hand grenade and selling it to someone else who would hopefully keep it and not use it.
I probably couldnt keep myself from pulling that pin.
I HAVE to use them.
Thats what they were made for.
I cant stand the plastic garbage that goes for "pro saws" these days.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine came with a PM 6 as well but it's in rough shape. Broken parts.
Dont suppose theres a good recoil pulley in there? I thought I had a donor, but it was just another MM.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning guys. Just rolled back in to town. Threw the air filter cover in the ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes. Piston looks good from what I can see through the ports. Definitely need to track down a muffler.IMG_20200522_091431040.jpg

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont suppose theres a good recoil pulley in there? I thought I had a donor, but it was just another MM.

I'll go through stuff this weekend...I would have that...just have to make mind up how many I need. Either way I'll send you a message after looking.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear that all the time. I just tell her that once it is gone, I'll probably need it the next day.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I 'd imagine just about any of the round mufflers would work .For that matter a person could most likely make one if nothing else .Keep in mind those old reed valve engines seem to run better with more open exhausts and tuned more rich than a modern saw .They might idle and blow black smoke but once you gas it and it gets wound up all that turns into power ,with of course a good bit of noise to go with it .Ear plugs and muffs might be a good idea .

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I 'd imagine just about any of the round mufflers would work .For that matter a person could most likely make one if nothing else .Keep in mind those old reed valve engines seem to run better with more open exhausts and tuned more rich than a modern saw .They might idle and blow black smoke but once you gas it and it gets wound up all that turns into power ,with of course a good bit of noise to go with it .Ear plugs and muffs might be a good idea .
Silly question for you. Having never owned a saw this old what ratio mix should I put in it? I know we used to run the old dirt bikes pretty rich. Just don't want to do anything stupid and junk this old beast

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Modern synthetic oils allow for much leaner mixes and cleaner combustion, but lots of guys still run 32:1 or less in their old saws.
I personally run 40:1 ethanol free / high quality synthetic oil in all my saws, including some pretty old ones.

And please, let's not let this get away from us! LOL