heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted a note on AS, thought I'd put one here as well. My dad passed away this week...98 years old and had lived a long and full life. He was able to be pretty active right up to the end and passed pretty quickly with very little suffering. He was a native Californian and we used to go see his mother (my Grandma Heimann) every 3 or 4 years. She lived in an area adjacent to Memorial County Park up in the hills above Pescadero. Her mail address was Redwood Glen, and we really enjoyed hiking amongst the giant redwood trees. When dad came home after WWII he worked for a short time as a sawyer (wrong end of a two man saw) and in a sawmill that processed redwood and fir logs. He spent some time on the "green chain" grading lumber as it came from the saw.

He gave me a McCulloch saw, might have been a 200, when I went off to college. I would cut firewood when I was home some weekends to make a little spending money.

This is not the original saw (that one was traded in, in pieces, on a new Jonsereds 621) but it does represent the model nicely including the hardnose bar. I know now that a carburetor rebuild and adjusting the choke would have made starting much easier, at the time I would simply prime it for the first start of the day and any time I ran it out of fuel. As some have observed, McCulloch put the fuel fill cap on top of the saw to facilitate refueling while the saw was still running.

McCulloch 1-42 4.JPG

Mark

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted a note on AS, thought I'd put one here as well. My dad passed away this week...98 years old and had lived a long and full life. He was able to be pretty active right up to the end and passed pretty quickly with very little suffering. He was a native Californian and we used to go see his mother (my Grandma Heimann) every 3 or 4 years. She lived in an area adjacent to Memorial County Park up in the hills above Pescadero. Her mail address was Redwood Glen, and we really enjoyed hiking amongst the giant redwood trees. When dad came home after WWII he worked for a short time as a sawyer (wrong end of a two man saw) and in a sawmill that processed redwood and fir logs. He spent some time on the "green chain" grading lumber as it came from the saw.

He gave me a McCulloch saw, might have been a 200, when I went off to college. I would cut firewood when I was home some weekends to make a little spending money.

This is not the original saw (that one was traded in, in pieces, on a new Jonsereds 621) but it does represent the model nicely including the hardnose bar. I know now that a carburetor rebuild and adjusting the choke would have made starting much easier, at the time I would simply prime it for the first start of the day and any time I ran it out of fuel. As some have observed, McCulloch put the fuel fill cap on top of the saw to facilitate refueling while the saw was still running.

View attachment 236698

Mark

Sorry about your dad Mark. I am very glad that he was able to stay active with your family up untill the end. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry about your father passing,RIP .As far as the reeders ,I still prime them because they usually sit a long time between usage .

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your dad Mark, Sounds like he was a nice guy and lived a long life.
Hope your family is doing ok.

Simpsonsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys, I've posted about this before. I am in search of an 82cc Mac. A have put aside a decent amount of money to purchase one. I also have a Homelite superXL925 that is a good runner that I would trade or partial trade. I dont mind a project as long as it's mostly complete and salvageable. I like then a bit ugly anyway lol.
If someone has something they wouldnt mind parting with please PM me and we can talk about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys, I've posted about this before. I am in search of an 82cc Mac. A have put aside a decent amount of money to purchase one. I also have a Homelite superXL925 that is a good runner that I would trade or partial trade. I dont mind a project as long as it's mostly complete and salvageable. I like then a bit ugly anyway lol.
If someone has something they wouldnt mind parting with please PM me and we can talk about it.

Pm Mark. Im sure he has something for you.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PM850 in PA on FB.

The link won't post for some reason. Let's try this....

PM850.jpg

Last edited:

Simpsonsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a little more than I was wanting to (or can) spend..... like double..... yikes.
Am I outta line thinking I should be able to find something around $300? Heck, that's all I got for my Husky 266 when I sold it last year and that was an awesome saw and people where beating me up for asking that much.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As was stated, Mark may have something, but Ebay prices go $400 to over a grand. I seems A nice 82cc Mac doesn't go for much less than an average 125.

Last edited:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a little more than I was wanting to (or can) spend..... like double..... yikes.
Am I outta line thinking I should be able to find something around $300? Heck, that's all I got for my Husky 266 when I sold it last year and that was an awesome saw and people where beating me up for asking that much.

You might find one if you look long enough! I picked up an sp80 lest than a year ago for $100, so they are out there. I would recommend saving up for a nice runner! If the cylinder or piston is bad, they can be difficult to find and expensive! I think in the current but non virus timeline you should be able to get a nicer runner for $400-600, if you spend $200 on one that needs a cylinder and piston you could easily wind up spending another 200+ for a replacement, and possibly wait a long time to find one. Same can be said about 125’s

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go the flea bay route it might take a time before a good one comes up .Depending on the location Craigs List might be a better option .Fact somebody on this forum I think picked up an 800 if memory serves that was only about 15 miles from were I live . I could have just as easily snatched it myself but I didn't want to get in on somebody elses deal .
My first was an e-bay deal ,an SP 81 with no spark and I think 90 bucks .Cosmetically a tad rough but it runs great after I installed the complete ignition system from a 10-10 .I found another one,early 850 I snatched the entire engine from for an 805 with a bad cylinder and it was around 100 .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always admitted I'm a tight wad when it comes to buying chainsaws and I will not pay premium prices no matter what it is .I have the know how on what it takes to get one running and my time is worth something .What anybody else does is none of my business .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fact somebody on this forum I think picked up an 800 if memory serves that was only about 15 miles from were I live . I could have just as easily snatched it myself but I didn't want to get in on somebody elses deal .

And I appreciate it every time I look at that saw. One of the better deals I'll ever run across. That's where I also got the PM700 I traded to Kevin for his problem child 7-10. Definitely worth the drive on both counts.

That said, I paid $75 for my SP81. Only needed a crank and rings and came with a box of Mac parts and a big ol' Homelite gear drive. My first complete Mac rebuild. (And yes, Jethro, it still needs the ignition tweaked a little to be 'right'. LOL)

Found my PM8200 for $75, too. Toasted top end and you probably recall the piston rescue project/cylinder refurb and rebuild.

If you're too anxious, you'll pay the going rate. If you're patient and diligent with FB and CL you may get lucky. Seems everyone is a Mac collector these days and most sellers know it. The $$$ can add up fast on a Mac 'project'..., and that's if you can find the parts from a friendly source..., especially 82cc top ends.

Had to pass on another saw down by Al a year or so ago. Nice PM850. $500 They don't pop up often.

Simpsonsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I appreciate it every time I look at that saw. One of the better deals I'll ever run across. That's where I also got the PM700 I traded to Kevin for his problem child 7-10. Definitely worth the drive on both counts.

That said, I paid $75 for my SP81. Only needed a crank and rings and came with a box of Mac parts and a big ol' Homelite gear drive. My first complete Mac rebuild. (And yes, Jethro, it still needs the ignition tweaked a little to be 'right'. LOL)

Found my PM8200 for $75, too. Toasted top end and you probably recall the piston rescue project/cylinder refurb and rebuild.

If you're too anxious, you'll pay the going rate. If you're patient and diligent with FB and CL you may get lucky. Seems everyone is a Mac collector these days and most sellers know it. The $$$ can add up fast on a Mac 'project'..., and that's if you can find the parts from a friendly source..., especially 82cc top ends.

Had to pass on another saw down by Al a year or so ago. Nice PM850. $500 They don't pop up often.
The problem is Macs just dont seem to exist in the classifieds around here. I watch them all and have saved searches. Best that ever comes up are 10-10s and 610s by the dozen. Maybe an occasional 55. Therefore I am stuck with either Ebay or you guys lol. I'm up to 3 70cc Macs now including that PM700 Poge and none of them came.from around here.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is Macs just dont seem to exist in the classifieds around here. I watch them all and have saved searches. Best that ever comes up are 10-10s and 610s by the dozen. Maybe an occasional 55. Therefore I am stuck with either Ebay or you guys lol. I'm up to 3 70cc Macs now including that PM700 Poge and none of them came.from around here.

You might consider putting a want ad on Craigslist. Yes, you'll get a lot of scammers but those responses are easy enough to filter and simply delete, and it will take some time.

Last fall I needed some 125 parts to complete some builds and did the want ad. It took a couple months but I ended up making a great contact with a retired logger who had a
lot of what I needed. I ended up buying just over $900 worth of stuff from him.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is Macs just dont seem to exist in the classifieds around here.

I feel your pain, brother. LOL Hell, most of the Macs that popped up on CL around me (back when there still were a few) are in my barn. Don't see many at all anymore. FB is mostly Mini-Macs and McBricks in my area now with a few old ones here and there for crazy money.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a slight difference in them it seems .For example when I got a later model 850 super cylinder to replace as a replacement for the 805 cylinder that had peeled the chrome .I had to space out the coil so it aligned in the center of the flywheel magnets . That worked fine until I cooked it with a straight gas prime .What a sad day that was .
I don't try to corner the market on these things .Fact if they are not rare or present some degree of being able to be souped up I really have no interest in them ,cheap or not .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then some want them for various reasons and actually I do most of my cutting with a couple of Stihls, slightly older models .I do try to exercise the Macs but some have sat so long they need a little attention to get them running correctly .
At the moment if I ever find or make the time is a pair of Mac PM 1000 or Partner p-100's which is really what they are .I have all the parts finally just need to do it .The only reason I ever got them was because in this part of the country they are rare .Other places they might not be for all I know .Fact of the matter Husqvarna in this area are kind of rare except the ones sold at Lowes,TSC etc .Basically lower priced home owners ,cut fire wood saws .

Simpsonsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then some want them for various reasons and actually I do most of my cutting with a couple of Stihls, slightly older models .I do try to exercise the Macs but some have sat so long they need a little attention to get them running correctly .
At the moment if I ever find or make the time is a pair of Mac PM 1000 or Partner p-100's which is really what they are .I have all the parts finally just need to do it .The only reason I ever got them was because in this part of the country they are rare .Other places they might not be for all I know .Fact of the matter Husqvarna in this area are kind of rare except the ones sold at Lowes,TSC etc .Basically lower priced home owners ,cut fire wood saws .
All that is around here are low priced homeowner saws. I work on and flip lots of them. There hasn't been any large enough tracts of land to support any logging or forestry around here in 50 years, just residential tree work. I own 3.5 acres and that is considered a big piece of land around here.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This part of Ohio is as flat as Kansas .Around here you might get clear land of 300 acres ,Farther north it could be an entire mile section of 640 acres .That being said a 25- 30 acre woods is not out of the ordinary and still some rather large oaks .However you generally don't see anything larger than an 066 Stihl sized saw and most of them are owned by a tree service .Fact being I own more large size saws than any tree service in this area .As far as the oaks on just my 2.5 acres of woods out of nearly 6 I own I have around 12-15, 3 feet or larger in diameter and right at 100 feet tall .I've never really counted them .I've had to drop a few of them including that stump in my avatar because they became hazards .It looks like another will need to come down .That one I need a bucket truck for because if I just drop it it will do some damage .