MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Whats up with that 346 on the bench? I got what you need Kevin! :D

Let me see what i can find when i get home.
Thanks Steve. The 346 is one of three owned by a friend who is an arborist. He likes them for chunk out saws but he is not kind to them. This is the third time I have had this one in with air leak symptoms. Always around the intake boot. I replaced the boot, impulse hose, and clamp the last time and also used a bit of Dirko where it clamps to the jug and here it is again[emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Steve. The 346 is one of three owned by a friend who is an arborist. He likes them for chunk out saws but he is not kind to them. This is the third time I have had this one in with air leak symptoms. Always around the intake boot. I replaced the boot, impulse hose, and clamp the last time and also used a bit of Dirko where it clamps to the jug and here it is again[emoji35]

Little too ham handed on them.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the bulldozer idea.
I used my compact track loader and a 4 in 1 grab bucket on a washing machine I finally had enough of.
Very satisfying. No regrets. Had already bought a new one.
I do admit I once crushed a Sears step through mower with a 14,600 pound Cat D4 .Kind of stupid but I'd had enough of that cantankerous piece of s--t.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad it got there ok! When i originally got it is was complete but have helped many fellow mac men here with parts from it!

Was that the ol 2-10 you got from me? If so it would start easy and then flood out quickly. If I'm confusing things, apologize for that and you can kick me next time we meet.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was that the ol 2-10 you got from me? If so it would start easy and then flood out quickly. If I'm confusing things, apologize for that and you can kick me next time we meet.

You are right Kevin! I also tried to get it running but the duck bills in the carb are jelly. It has helped at least 3 members here get their saws up and going. Sent some parts oveseas for guys off that saw!

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal on parts helping out. I go through spells hoarding every darn mcculloch thing in reach. Then go through spells where move about anything on down the road.

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I blasted the tank, had one small hole, a little JB weld should fix it up.

0f6d9146bbeb48d9eee0811b5965d962.jpg
965eb46d965ee07faceec4d6a6f2b428.jpg

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You are right Kevin! I also tried to get it running but the duck bills in the carb are jelly. It has helped at least 3 members here get their saws up and going. Sent some parts oveseas for guys off that saw!
So the carb needs duck bills? I was wondering, I've never messed with one of these carbs. I think @heimannm has a workaround for the duck Bill's using Homelite parts.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the carb needs buck bills? I was wondering, I've never messed with one of these carbs. I think @heimannm has a workaround for the duck Bill's using Homelite parts.

The carb needs alot of expensive parts. I would have converted to an SDC if i was going to get it running.

But yes, Mark has a write up on AS i believe. He has the link in his post signature over there.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal on parts helping out. I go through spells hoarding every darn mcculloch thing in reach. Then go through spells where move about anything on down the road.

I do the same thing. I think i have about 5 complete duct style mufflers for the 10 series. Just snagged them whenever i see one cheap!

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The carb needs alot of expensive parts. I would have converted to an SDC if i was going to get it running.

But yes, Mark has a write up on AS i believe. He has the link in his post signature over there.
Expensive parts? I see diaphragms for around $20 on ebay. Is there more to it than that? I mean, it's more expensive than an SDC but not terrible. I put like $40 I to a flatback in a large frame saw and never could get it right. Traded it to Mark for a HL lol.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20 bucks plus all your time fiddling is a lot to put into a saw that i value at 60 bucks plus shipping in running condition. Got to remember, the 4.3 cube and up 10 series is where the money is.

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20 bucks plus all your time fiddling is a lot to put into a saw that i value at 60 bucks plus shipping in running condition. Got to remember, the 4.3 cube and up 10 series is where the money is.
Oh I hear ya, I'm not really worried about the monetary value, I just enjoy fiddling with them and running them.

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How can I tell which part number diaphragms I need? I have 2 ipls and i think this should be the later one. But I'm not sure how to know.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How can I tell which part number diaphragms I need? I have 2 ipls and i think this should be the later one. But I'm not sure how to know.

Has to do with is it a single needle or a dual needle carb?

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has to do with is it a single needle or a dual needle carb?
Needles as in inlet needles? Or adjustment needles? Or???
These are totally foreign to me. Might just see about an SDC swap. Not sure how to go about finding a carba and all the assorted hardware, linkage, and spacers needed.

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So on closer inspection, this fuel tank is drilled for an SDC so the swap would be easy. Problem is, a used carb is $35 on ebay, plus a rebuild kit, plus I would need the spacer under the carb, gaskets, and linkage.
Not sure which way to go here.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on closer inspection, this fuel tank is drilled for an SDC so the swap would be easy. Problem is, a used carb is $35 on ebay, plus a rebuild kit, plus I would need the spacer under the carb, gaskets, and linkage.
Not sure which way to go here.

I got you. Give me an hour or so and ill dig up some stuff.

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just pulled the the carb apart, definitely needs all the soft parts. Weirdest carb I've ever been into lol.

Steve, if you want to help out with more parts I would appreciate it, obviously I'm willing to pay ya.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just pulled the the carb apart, definitely needs all the soft parts. Weirdest carb I've ever been into lol.

Steve, if you want to help out with more parts I would appreciate it, obviously I'm willing to pay ya.

Dug out another parts saw you may like! :D

15845789997943965500102532161956.jpg

Last edited: