MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Super 33 Mark! Those are so cool looking.
Different recoil setup etc. Whats the shiny piece on top for? Looks brand new compared to the rest of it.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the spark plug cover, I was pleased how well it cleaned up with a wire brush in the parts washer tank.

20200208_104246.jpg

20200208_104843.jpg

Mark

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you use a water based solution or a solvent in your parts washer?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am glad you asked Poge...I use mineral spirits (low odor when I can get it) and it works pretty effectively for most needs. Here's my dilemma, since I clean so many saws and parts the unit gets very contaminated with sawdust, etc. I was searching on line and several folks recommended adding an external filter ala oil filter. It worked great once, but after that there was enough sawdust in the solvent that the filter plugged and flow stopped after 2 or 3 minutes of operation. If I switch it off for a minute I can get another 2-3 minutes of run time then plugged again. As I cleaned a few more saws the run time dropped off to one minute or less. To allow me to get anything done I bypassed the filter.

Some additional searching led me to these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...Bik-CW8b3EY4l5S5GLBmdfsb0u7hAFbxoCM7wQAvD_BwE

I haven't pulled the trigger yet since I can change the solvent for about the same price but I am seriously considering trying them out just to avoid having to clean out the tank as often.

Any other ideas on ways to filter out and remove the excessive accumulations of particulates, I am quite interested.

To be honest, this was probably a years worth of accumulation but it was about an inch thick on the bottom of the tank.

20191218_080512.jpg

External filter added.

20191218_130646.jpg

20191218_130637.jpg

Mark

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am glad you asked Poge...I use mineral spirits (low odor when I can get it) and it works pretty effectively for most needs. Here's my dilemma, since I clean so many saws and parts the unit gets very contaminated with sawdust, etc. I was searching on line and several folks recommended adding an external filter ala oil filter. It worked great once, but after that there was enough sawdust in the solvent that the filter plugged and flow stopped after 2 or 3 minutes of operation. If I switch it off for a minute I can get another 2-3 minutes of run time then plugged again. As I cleaned a few more saws the run time dropped off to one minute or less. To allow me to get anything done I bypassed the filter.

Some additional searching led me to these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Parts Washers > Parts Washer Accessories&utm_campaign=Northern Tool and Equipment&utm_content=156566&gclid=CjwKCAiA-P7xBRAvEiwAow-VaalqCJcf6TmEm3U1Xes0EEBik-CW8b3EY4l5S5GLBmdfsb0u7hAFbxoCM7wQAvD_BwE

I haven't pulled the trigger yet since I can change the solvent for about the same price but I am seriously considering trying them out just to avoid having to clean out the tank as often.

Any other ideas on ways to filter out and remove the excessive accumulations of particulates, I am quite interested.

To be honest, this was probably a years worth of accumulation but it was about an inch thick on the bottom of the tank.

View attachment 223405

External filter added.

View attachment 223406

View attachment 223407

Mark

Just thought Mark, or at least what I would do.

Make a solid base basket frame with a top handle (out of the way, maybe on a swivel) and use a screen fine enough to catch the crud for the sides.

High enough so the top is an inch or two above bath.

Make the basket big enough so you can easily clean the size of parts you normally clean. At the end, when you're finished pull the basket out and dump the crud.

It won't keep it all out of the unit but it will go along way to keeping it going and staying ahead of a full cleaning.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the subject at hand I think the one thing that saved the old Macs from cooking themselves was the massive amount of aluminum fins .They were made to run almost run forever and obviously some have .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...I use mineral spirits (low odor when I can get it) and it works pretty effectively for most needs...Mark

Was just curious. Your projects always look so clean. I sorta figured your parts washer gets quite a workout and you'd be using a water-based cleaner simply for the economics of the process. My washer is overdue for a cleaning and refill and I was considering switching from petroleum-based to water-based simply for the cost savings. I only use it for saws.

I've been using the Crown PSC 1000 cleaner from TSC since I bought my parts washer quite a few years ago. Low odor, very high flash point, and works really well. But it's around $80~$90 these days (for 10 gallons) to refill the washer which pretty much means I recycle it as long as I can between tank cleanings..., which is barely once a year to drain through a strainer and then shovel out the remaining layer of stuff on the bottom to re-use what's left of the solvent. Gets nasty fast between cleanings, but stays effective even so.

I gave up on the filtering long ago with my washer (same type as yours) and rarely use the pump. I've ended up adopting the 'soaking overnight' method to loosen stubborn crud along with using a variety of brushes and small utensils for general cleaning. I suspend a basket in the washer for draining followed by a Blue Dawn bath and rinse in a wash tub to get rid of the solvent film and residual crud particles. The overall process works fine and produces a great result. Just time consuming and involves the extra step of washing and rinsing the solvent off the parts.

The one aspect of water-based de-greasers/cleaners that would seem to be a concern (and possibly negate the convenience and cost savings) are some of the chemicals used for the desired effect. An overnight soak in too heavy of a solution (or if you simply forgot about a tank full of parts) could result in unexpected results with certain alloys and plastics. I've had weird stuff happen with Simple Green and Purple Power when soaking parts in diluted solutions of both of em.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never think of a parts washer I don't think of Snelling using the dishwasher .It would certainly work but in my case I'm not brave enough to try it .My word talk about hot tongue and cold shoulder ,no thanks .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm, shes out of town for a few days, and ive got a couple of dirty projects....;)o_O

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a dishwasher in the shop for a while but found it was not really all that effective, and any of the detergents I used were really hard on the old paint. I ended up giving it away and just use the parts washer tank. I have used products like Purple Power for an overnight soak but you must make sure the entire part is submerged or it may react where the aluminum or magnesium are wetted by the solution and exposed to the atmosphere.

I have a request in with Momar to see about pricing on some of their solvent based cleaners, several of which have grape, orange, or citrus scent...

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, with all this talk of parts washers, I think its time I got started with my sons friends PM650 "McCinderblock" repairs. So here we are on the table.0211201557_HDR.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here we are after a little "exploratory surgery".
Piston looks pretty good. Light scratching, but nothing serious. This one has the two thin ring piston. They might all be for all I know. Just an observation.
Muffler is missing the deflector, so it was just blowing exhaust straight up. Probably made the eyes water a bit. Fuel line is harder than Chinese arithmetic, so that will get replaced.
Now to the main problem.
This thing was leaking bar oil EVERYWHERE. I nicknamed it Valdez, cause its spilled more oil than Exxon. So far, I can see the corner of the pump diaphragm was blown out where the manual oiler valve is. Still yet to clean up the mess and sort the rest of it out. Might be a good time to try to get my crusty parts washer going. Will need a pump.0211201824.jpg 0211201620.jpg 0211201650_HDR.jpg 0211201824a.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some bar oil in the cylinder too. Guessing the bad diaphragm is allowing it to seep back thru the impulse hole. Dont see any kind of check valve. Not sure that there should be, since the impulse would be pushing the diaphragm, then the return spring on the pump pintle would push back when pulse goes negative or neutral, whichever the case is here.
I have to say, these arent hard to get apart. Sensibly made it seems to me. Not balanced well or good feel in the hands like a 10 series, and seems much heavier, but easier to work on.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO the weak link on that design was the impulse pump .I've never had any luck attempting to repair them .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On water based type cleaning Dawn does a fairly good job of lifting grease .It's the same stuff they clean sea birds with that get caught in an oil slick .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the lines on the intake side of that piston are actually gouges that go very far above that port I'd be tossing that thing into a box as a parts donor for another 600 saw. Unfortunately (as Al mentions), the oil pumps are what usually go on those things.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nah Poge. Those are just scuffs. Hard to tell from the pics, but they are just spots where the shine is gone. This saw came with a donor, so I may take a look at that one too. Take best parts from both and make one.

Shooter, are you refering to tje "skirt" looking rubber that goes between the carb and the case?

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just looked at the pic again Poge. When I zoom in it does look like deep gouges. Wierd camera thing I guess. Doesnt Look like that at all in person, and ive got a 1.75 x magnifier plus my 1.25 x reading glasses to help. The eyes are getting bad.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello gents. I have a mini mac question. The rubber air seal washer under the air filter. Do these come with a new aftermarket filter? Are they available separate new anywhere? Thank you.
I have not seen them for sale anywhere. That doesn’t mean you can’t get them but they do not come with the air filters. There are a few folks with McCulloch parts stock I’ve found. Aha! Lookie what I found.
Randy’s has been invaluable to me.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/390157967558
go get em!