MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t want to side trade the Mac thread with other resto’s but in general I always have a goal in build/resto. Most of the time it’s performance based, and then a certain level of aesthetics. All of my resto work has been based on the fact that I could afford the end product at the market value, and I enjoy it! I also enjoy the research and parts hunting too! My latest 125/101 resto/build was a dream project for me and took 7 years to get all the parts I wanted at reasonable prices! There are some difficult to obtain parts nowadays, I haven’t had a chance to by another cp125 air filter cover in 5+ years. And if I could have found a nos wrap bars it would have, but those don’t come up either! So I want one restored shelf queen, it been a journey, years long...and now that’s that is done, the rest are runners! Lol I have some crusty 123cc macs that get use, and a couple kart Mac runners, no where near Lee’s collection! I have another 101, to build, and a cp, but don’t have all the parts or clear build plan. I am really liking the kart Mac with the wb and v4 reeds, it exceeds my expectations, and may build some more versions or slightly different combinations. I will probably paint up a couple user macs, but I also like patina too! I also want to restore a sp80-81 I have two, one is in great shape the onther neers some work. I have other projects and restos that get in the way too! But as and example, my car the goal was to build a super nice driver, wasn’t planning on beating on it but I was ready for the rock chips, but try to keep it as nice as possible, and still drive it! It had lots of rock chips now!!

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of these days I'm gonna have to get hold of the money to get a 125. I just cant justify it right now. Cant really find too many down here. Not big timber territory.
I also want an 80 cc series one day.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3F8D2C04-784E-4C38-89F3-3D78BA22FE9D.jpeg Man, these little saws are a hoot. Just ran them both on 40/1 (was 50/1). Required a touch of tuning, but not much. They just sound so bad azz. I really love ‘em.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Generally with a mini you have two types.Those that run very good and those that don't run at all

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right now all three of mine are in the latter category. Theres a 25, a 110, and a MM6. All with various non life threatening ailments. Gonna get the PM6A going first, then whittle away at those.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 110's usually the carb needs rebuilt .Then comes the problem of finding the rebuild kits .I think it's some variation of a Zama with no parts available last I checked .I think I have a PM 6 some place in my junk but I've never done a thing to it .Weather I ever do at this point I don't know .
Those damned turtle shell 110's you have to deshell to even get to the carb .-----don't get me started --humbug mumble grumble---

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might mention some time ago I bought a big box of saw chains from flea for next to nothing .The only thing I wanted out of it was three loops of Homelite branded 1/2" chipper and four loops of .404 by .058 .Because the 48" bar on the avatar saw is .058 gauge .In that mess that must have weighed 40 pounds was a hellva collection of McCulloch branded chain in the factory boxes .I gave most of it away because it was chipper but I have I don't know how many 14" loops of Mini chain .3/8 low pro not 1/4" .Trading stock perhaps because I have no use for it .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might talk about a couple of those loops of 3/8" LP if I ever get around to working on the little "Armadillo saws".

I did pick up a MM130 this morning. Its in a box, but looks complete, and looks brand new. I'll get some pics when I get home from work.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the 130.
In a box, but all there except the chain. Looks clean. Not much use. Think ive got a carb kit.0203201737.jpg 0203201737a.jpg 0203201737b.jpg 0203201739.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it sat on the ground and idled some. Bar looks like it did a fair bit of limb duty. Otherwise, not much use.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, you would be looking for a Walbro MDC carb rebuild kit. I have a few Walbro NOS that I am using. Not sure how I ended up ordering those, but it's working out well in the end. AV8TOR, I cant remember where Waleska is, but I'm sure its south of here. All the North towns have Cherokee names. The South has more Creek and Seminole. Just an observance, since I'm mostly Irish, and an imposter. The better half of me is a mix of Cherokee and Creek. Also a little Sweedish, thus the blonde mop on top.1005191727c.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And from Valdosta originally. Moved to Swainsboro, but look what a beauty! The dog is our "grand dog" that she is giving a complex to. Guess she was too close to Florida.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stand corrected. Chippewa. Seminole and Chippewa. Definitely lose the rest of my hair tonight. Hopefully won't be enough to take....

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Valdosta Ga was the last fuel stop before ending up in Frost Proof Fla and the first one leaving back to Ohio when my parents spent about 20 years there in the winter months . I made that trip once after my dad had a stroke to bring the motor home back north .1326 miles on I-75 .Long azz trip,two days circa 2005 .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch Al! I stay in the road in a 5500 series 2 ton GVW service truck. I understand the way you felt EVERY pot hole in between. Ive derailed this thread enough.

Someone extol the virtues of a Mac 130 for me.
I'm kinda looking forward to getting this one on the table. It looks REALLY clean. It was taken down the right way. They left the fuel line hooked to the carb. I think their tech knows his stuff, as the owners son vouched for him, and he has a long history with the family as the guy who could fix "WHATEVER". WAS even told to bring the cylinder for the 019T project I have going on in and he would help try to save the cylinder. Thats encouraging, as they are a Stihl dealer. They do seem to still care about saving some of the older other brands. I saw A LOT of Poulan love there. This isnt big Mac country, but they are around. I need to talk a little shop with this guy, as I think he knows about engine theory and performance in general. He made a comment about transfer ports that leads me to think he gets it.
I know this is off color, but ive seen enough green saws in there with some special things done to know they are into the older stuff, and arent just there to be the "typical" dealer. I just wish they were more into the yellow stuff.....

Ppavolko

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20200204_214528.jpg 20200204_214521_HDR.jpg I got the black paint sorted out with the VHT. I sandblasted, primed, and painted heavy. It seems to be a decent match. I looked for the rustoleum krinkle and couldnt find it so i retried the VHT wrinkle. I got the fuel tank back on with a new decal, got the top cover on. It took a little bit of special effin around to remember how the brake went back together but i got that as well. I need to get the recoil put back together and finally hang the beauty on the wall. I am not a fan of the bar i got. But it was $8 so who the f cares. I might look for another bar.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone extol the virtues of a Mac 130 for me.

Virtues...Mini Mac 130 are good for sale of hearing protection. Especially the older Mini Mac 30 & its relation. The 130 has a different somewhat baffled lower noise muffler. Also, seems like you don't have to wish too hard for one and they can multiply in number easily at your residence same as little red ones & lime green ones when people find out.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 222263 View attachment 222264 I got the black paint sorted out with the VHT. I sandblasted, primed, and painted heavy. It seems to be a decent match. I looked for the rustoleum krinkle and couldnt find it so i retried the VHT wrinkle. I got the fuel tank back on with a new decal, got the top cover on. It took a little bit of special effin around to remember how the brake went back together but i got that as well. I need to get the recoil put back together and finally hang the beauty on the wall. I am not a fan of the bar i got. But it was $8 so who the f cares. I might look for another bar.

That is lookin real sweet!

Ppavolko

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Steve. It is far from perfect and far from being a restoration as the fuel lines were ripped, there was crap in the fuel and oil tanks, carb is gummed pretty bad and a good bit of scoring on the piston and cylinder as well as some rash from sitting on concrete for about 20 years but i am happy with how it looks and it will be nice to have the little saw that was part of the farm since new on the wall.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 130 is a lot easier to work on than say a 110 in my opinion .I did once replace a fuel line one time for my wifes cousin and that is about my only experience with a 130 .Jeff is a nice guy but he was all thumbs and about once a month he had something broken he couldn't fix . He had a bad back and could not handle a very heavy saw .He had a number of Mini Macs he paid way too much for .I found him a Poulan S25 Da that it took about a year until he killed it .Finally found a Stihl 015 ,looked almost new ,with a case and half a dozen chains ,files ,little tools for 50 bucks .She's been gone for almost 6 years and evidently he hasn't figured out how to kill that little saw yet .Else he would have been at my back door .